Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,331 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
BPCAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read online that Fantesca isn't open for tours/tastings, is that not correct? What I saw was a Spring Mountain winery map ad labeled wineries as "tastings available" and "tastings not available". Fantesca is listed as tastings not available. Atchley and Crowley also were listed as not offering tastings.
BSD
AG
I can assure you Fantesca does tastings. Give them a call or email. Usually dropping a name of a current buyer can help out. Fantesca isn't cheap, so I'd only go there if you are prepared to spend a few extra bucks (assuming you like the wine). I would always buy a 6 pack of cab on my visits there. I never did sign up for club shipments, though. That just isn't my thing (only a few select wineries earned that honor).

Just a note on tastings, I never tried to go to appointment only places to just get a few free drinks. I was always prepared to drop the cash if I like the wine. Most of these places are small businesses and it is expensive for them to do tastings. I try to be respectful of that. I saved my drunkfests for Del Dotto.
BPCAg05
AG
Thank. I've been to Napa once and will buy bottles if I like the juice, but I've never been up spring Mountain. For our first day (after landing) I think we're going to do Domaine Carneros, Provinance, and Alpha Omega on our way up to the hotel. Then the next day do Spring Mountain. We'll also be spending 2 nights in either Santa Rosa or Healdsburg. Anyone have any dinner recommendations in either town? I think we're going to do Market and Tre Vigne while in St. Helena, but I've never been to the Sonoma Valley. The only wineries so far we are planning on going to are Jordan and Paul Hobbs for tour/tastings, but I could certainly use more recommendations. I prefer cabs an my wife prefers Chardonnays.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Spend some time at Inwood Estates (the 290 Fredericksburg location) yesterday.

For those of you who like Vinny at Hilmy, he's at Inwood now.

Dan Gatlin was there and we discussed (well, he discussed, I listened) wine/ grapes/Texas for half an hour or so. Dan is a smart guy and has a very different take on making wine in Texas, For him location and grape choice are the biggest factors. He feels that by proper vineyard management (canopy, trellessing, pruning, etc, etc) you can adjust to almost any climate. I'm sure he's a polarizing character within the Texas wine industry, and I'm not sure I buy into everything he preaches, but he makes the best Texas wines I've tasted.

Here's an interesting blog entry by Dan:Napa 2014: Will 40 years of wine-climate-marketing be unravelled?

Speaking of Hilmy Cellars, we started there for a pick up event. Our last as Erik changed some policies, and his wine has regressed, I fear he's overreached. Up to 15,000 cases per year, and much of it mediocre to bad.
Just going back through this thread, and thought I would comment on this one. First, I did the same thing with Dan in December. It was an interesting conversation about how is wines hold up over time against the Napa wines and the Old World bordeauxs. He has a wealth of knowledge, and tracks and records weather patterns meticulously. He knows when he can produce his Magdalena, Magellan, and Mericana based on weather/climate tracking. I'm not sure he is very polarizing. I have seen him speak at big wine functions with many winemakers across Texas; they all seem to respect him greatly. I mean he really is the father of Texas wine. He was the first to bring Tempranillo vines to Texas. Just my $0.02.
cecil77
AG
Good to know. He has such strong opinions that I just assumed some folks may not see everything his way.

We tasted there on our pickup last weekend. The 2012 Cornelius Reserve is pretty dang good. I also have a bottle of the 2006, so in another 6 years or so it will be fun to taste them side by side.
austinag1997
AG
We are pretty well stocked on Inwood wines. I bought a 2011 Colos (100% Tempranillo) when we were there. He suggested holding at least 5 years. Looking forward to it.
JMC04
AG
Popped the cork on my last '05 Signorello, cellar tracker said the drinking window ended in 2014. Tannins were still very present and the fruit was bright so I think it could have gone on for a while.

Does anyone know what their Napa cab is selling for these days? I'm concerned they've jacked up their prices like everyone else in the last few years.
bularry
BPCag, tons of good places in and around Healdsburg. I really liked Chalkboard on our last visit, Willie's is also a lot of fun and good food. I like the bar at Spoonbar, nice place to sit a bit. Ralph's bistro on the square is also a great place to eat, great lamb burger if you go there for lunch.

for Santa Rosa, wife and I like Jackson's Bar and Oven, although some don't like it. There is another place on 5th street near there but I can't remember the name of it, but it was good food. Go to Dierks parkside for a dive kinda place with great breakfast.

If you are around Graton on your tastings, we really liked Willow Wood cafe in Graton for lunch. also Dry Creek general store is a classic as is Jimtown Store for a good sandwich,e tc.

oh, almost forgot, went to a new place out in Guerneville called Boon Eat + Drink, really liked it. tiny little place.

if you like cabs and the wife drinks chard, check out Stuehlmuller winery in Alex Valley. Not too expensive and quality juice. I think you need an appointment.
Pedro Cerano
AG
Anyone else place their Rivers-Marie order yesterday? If so, what did everyone get?
BSD
AG
I did. I bought 3 Sonoma Coast pinots and chards and then got one each of the others. I got home and my wife had done the same with her allocation. Doh!
Pedro Cerano
AG
Nice. I took my full allocation of Sonoma Coast pinot, Summa and Summa old vines, and then 1 of the Kanzler Vineyard because I read some good things about it last year.

I thought about doing the Chardonnay but then didn't because I just don't drink that much white. Did I make a mistake not taking the Chard?
BSD
AG
I'm not much of a drinker so I buy the Sonoma Coast chard for guests at the house or if my wife wants to open up something. It's a Thomas Brown wine for less than $30...you cant beat it.

Now if we are talking about the RM Theriot vineyard chard...that stuff is fantastic. It's now the only domestic white I drink (well, Maybach's chard too but it's the same vineyard and winemaker). If you see the Theriot offered, buy all you can.
BSD
AG
Carlisle came out today so I bought some zins for the parties.
TP Ag '87
AG
FWIW: Looks like all Carlisle offerings are sold out.
jh0400
AG
Anything from Arista that is a "must buy?"
aggiejumper
AG
Bought a few RM chards, sonoma pinots, and my one allocated Summa Vineyard Pinot bottle
d78230
AG
Passed on rivers Marie (although I love their sc Pinot for the price), took a case of Carlisle and some outpost cabs.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Had the 2011 Herb Lamb (HL) Napa Cab and the 2007 Realm "The Bard" last night, both were delicious and worth a try.
HTownAg98
Things I got to try last night, retail prices are local to Austin and what I can remember, so don't quote me on the prices:
2012 Merry Edwards Sauvignon blanc. A Sauvignon blanc different than just about anything you've tasted. 50/50 Sauvignon blanc and Sauvignon Musque. Has s lot of the typical sb flavor profile, but has a rounder mouthfeel and more tropical flavored. Very nice. $50

2012 Donum Estate Chardonnay. A beautiful wine. Made more in a Burgundian style. It shows what the old Wente clone can do when you don't monkey around with it with too much oak. $65

2012 Donum Carneros Pinot Noir. A very bright pinto noir, with lots of bing cherry and cranberry flavors. Needs about three years for the acid to soften, but would drink well now paired with the right food. $65

2012 Failia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast. A great benchmark of what Sonoma coast Pinot should be. Very expressive on the nose, but has a lightness without overbearing acidity. At $41, the best value of the night.

2012 Merry Edwards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. A bold and expressive Pinot, what you would expect from the RRV. Lots of cherry cola with some bacon fat. This is a pretty big wine, but it's not overbearing. A good one to just open and drink. $72.

The three pinots are very good wines from their respective AVAs. It would be fun to taste them blind, knowing the three AVAs, and pick which wine came from where. It should be easy enough for the average taster to get them all correct.
BPCAg05
AG
Thanks BSD, I talked to Fantesca and we have a reservation booked. It's at 10:30AM so now I need to figure out our plan for Spring Mountain since Pride is closed on Tuesdays. Sherwin allows a picnic lunch on their patio so I'm thinking Fantesca, then Sherwin for a tasting/lunch, then not sure what else. I talked to Vineyard 7&8 and they told me due to their limited staff, they only look to book appointments 3-4 weeks in advance. I'm thinking after Sherwin, we'll go to Barnett and then if 7&8 have time, we'll end with them. If not, what 1 winery would you choose if you could (obviously besides Fantesca, Sherwin, 7&8, and Barnett since we plan on going to those)?
JM04
AG
BPC we just got back and really enjoyed Storybook. Very casual and they will waive your tasting fee if you buy wine. It is right outside Calistoga.
BSD recommended Cook in St Helena and it was great.
cecil77
AG
Sherwin! When we signed up on their mailing list, there were 4 or 5 other Boerne folks already on it.

BSD
AG
"what 1 winery would you choose if you could"

Easy...Behrens Family. Make sure you request Drinkward Peschon and Relic when you set up the appt (they all make the wine at that facility)
bularry
I got on the Reynvaan allocation list for next November's Syrah releases, so was able to order a couple of their Syrahs, but not the Stoneessence (of course). Hopeful to get to order some whites later in the year.
reload85
Good job Bu. I have only had his sisters wines. They are quite nice. How long did you wait to get on the list?
bularry
reload, I don't know for sure, but less than 2 years. I think I signed up April of '13.

in a related note, yesterday in Spec's they had 3 of the 2010 Reynvaan's, which I had never seen there before. They had the unnamed, the In the Rocks and the Contender. Not that many, though so if anyone likes some unique Syrah, go grab it.
BSD
AG
Pre-dinner drink last night.

cecil77
AG
Materium or go home.
BSD
AG
All of my Materiums are still sleeping. This was actually the first Amoenus I've had. I opened it to see if I'll be buying it again upon the next release...and the answer was a resounding yes.
cecil77
AG
When should I crack open that one 2007 I have?
BSD
AG
As soon as I get to your house.
cecil77
AG
Y'all would be very welcome!

Schedule it!
Kid A
AG
TP Ag '87
AG
Found a podcast series called "Wine for Normal People" or something like that recently. (BSD: you can stop reading now.)

Anyway, listened to first episode today that was all about Cab Francs, which wife and I really like. I found it interesting that the CF grape is the parent to the Cab Savignon, Merlot and Carmenere grapes. Lady sommelier on there said just ask in your wine shop for a red from the Loire Valley and it would most likely be 100% CF (but called Chinon). Was also surprised she said, for the U.S., the NY Finger Lakes and VIRGINIA were making really nice CF's.

So, of course, I ran to Spec's at lunch and found one of each. French was $18; NY was $15. We'll see.

Will report back if anyone cares,...
cecil77
AG
Lexington, VA year before last. Great little college town (Washington & Lee and VMI) - had a Virginia Cab Franc. It was pretty dang good. Eighteen buck in a restaurant!
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.