Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,173 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just added a split of '97 Yquem.
cecil77
AG
I'll bring the pate and we can call it even!
HTownAg98
I'll make a foie gras torchon and bring that to share.
BSD
AG
Lay night I enjoyed a glass of 2004 Dom Perignon and a 2004 Realm To Kalon cab Sauv at dinner celebrating my wife's birthday. Both are very nice wines!
HTownAg98
These were consumed tonight:
http://tinypic.com/r/5ygccj/8
TP Ag '87
AG
Good old Dad gave me a $100 gift card to HEB. Even though I met and provided my email to the local HEB wine manager, I've never heard from her.

Was wondering if they have any routine to their sale weeks throughout the year? Any rhyme or reason? Assume not much until after the NY as people would be buying regardless of sale prices. I see nada on their web-site.
HTownAg98
They will typically do a big sale before New Years eve to reduce inventory.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks. Sure I'll see it here before I see it there!
cecil77
AG
They just had one last week. Misc Napa and Sonoma.

Most notable was a Bevan that Parker had at 100pts. $125-ish with the full discount.

They are having sales very frequently now. They usually start on Wednesday or Tuesday and go through the weekend.
TP Ag '87
AG
Well, my 85 y/o Dad would consider me downright irresponsible if I spent all the card on 1 bottle, regardless of it's QPR! Would probably also question my BS in Econ.
cecil77
AG
The Antica cab that was $50 a few months ago with a sale price of about $32 now is a pretty good bargain, I think. Would 3 bottles for his hundred bucks be acceptable?
TP Ag '87
AG
I think he would be proud after the first sip (I know I would be!).
aggiejumper
AG
Cecil, is the Bevan worth it? I am thinking about picking up the last two they have at the store.
BSD
AG
I love Bevan wines. That one may not be the particular one that got the 100 (I don't think that wine hit distribution) but all of his wines are money.
cecil77
AG
I haven't tasted any.

I bought a couple of his Ontogeny at Total Wine, just under a hundred. Parker has it a 99.

If memory serves is was the "Proprietary Red" and HEB definitely put 100pt on it by Parker, and the HEB employee was proud of their "first 100 point wine". Retail $199, HEB sale $125.
ILikeTacos
AG
Added some bottles to my cellar this week. two from a suggestion on this thread.

cecil77
AG
My invitation to the party must've gotten lost in the mail! Please resend...
BSD
AG
quote:
I haven't tasted any.

I bought a couple of his Ontogeny at Total Wine, just under a hundred. Parker has it a 99.

If memory serves is was the "Proprietary Red" and HEB definitely put 100pt on it by Parker, and the HEB employee was proud of their "first 100 point wine". Retail $199, HEB sale $125.

Hell, it could have been. The wine was the Sugarloaf Mountain and I didnt think it made it out. I've been wrong before though...and will be again! Like I said, though, any Bevan is worth picking up.
bularry
props to AG 07
BSD
AG
I'm excited about the Bond and it's not even mine. Enjoy!
aggiejumper
AG
I'm sold on the Bevan, called the winery, there were only 25 cases made of the '12 proprietary red that scored 100, it's half merlot and half cab franc. Have the last two bottles reserved for me at HEB. I'm pretty excited, not too often I get to purchase a 100 point wine.
BSD
AG
Only 25 cases made? And he passed on his longtime customers so HEB could get some? Ok, I'm skeptical again. That said, be sure to buy all the Bevan you can.
aggiejumper
AG
I'm skeptical somewhat but HEB really gets some random high end stuff on occasion. They are the largest wine retailer in the state.

As far as 25 cases, that is per Robert Parker. I'm not a member to his site but below is the review I found stating the perfect score and 25 case statement. I didn't think to ask the winery their production numbers when I called to get more info on this wine.

quote:
"Another perfect wine is Bevan's equal part blend ofMerlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2012 Bevan Cellars Proprietary Red
Sugarloaf Mountain. Notes of unsmoked cigar tobacco, forest floor, pen
ink mulberries, blackberries and spring flowers soar from this
inky/purple-colored 2012. The wine possesses great intensity, remarkable
unctuosity and thickness, and perfect integration of acidity, alcohol,
tannin and wood. Aged in equal parts new Gamba and Darnajou barrels,
there are 25 cases of this fabulous wine. Drink now-2032." -100 Points Robert Parker

"The 2012 Bevan Cellars Sugarloaf Mountain Proprietary Red is more serious than the previous vintage and puts out more aromatics and
texture. The nose is all bittersweet chocolate and flowers. On the
palate, the middle gives and then gives more. Rich and a little naughty.
The Cabernet Franc provides backbone and an amazing complexity of
flavor." -96 Points Wine Spectrum
BSD
AG
Ah, after a little looking I see that there are 225 cases. Game on!

And like I said earlier, all of Russell's wines are good. I'd buy whatever they have available, 100 points or not.
aggiejumper
AG
225 cases makes much more sense. Either way, I'm excited to try them.
bularry
225 is still not a lot when you think of mailing list, restaurants and the wine markets in other cities.

I do think for Napa, Tx and Fla or the biggest markets (outside of Cali) so maybe that makes some sense.
campout
Seriously now - Has anyone tried Barefoot Wines? I know they're only $5, but they're not that bad. Certainly drinkable.

Thoughts?
Aggielandma12
AG
Anybody tried 2009 Volker Eisele Family Estate Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon? I just received it as a Christmas gift.
bularry
I just secured an '06 AO Proprietary Red. I'm pretty pumped about it!
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
I just secured an '06 AO Proprietary Red. I'm pretty pumped about it!
Oooohhhhh That would be a bottle I would want to try. Their Proprietary Red is one of my favorites.
Absolute
AG
Heard of Cain Five?

Have ongoing wine bets with FIL over A&M and Missouri games. Track record is not good for me. This was the wine he suggested this year. Was hard to find and around $100. Worth it?

Nice part is we get to enjoy it together over Christmas.
cecil77
AG
I've had it once or twice in the past. It's certainly good!

Then again, just about all $100 wine is good!
BSD
AG
I have down AO sleeping in the cellar right now. It's one of the very few wine clubs that I belonged to. I can't wait to drink yhe 2010 Stagecoach. It was incredible out of the barrel!

Also, the customer service at AO is fantastic. Jean is a good man and I highly suggest meeting him if you are ever out there.
BSD
AG
I forgot to mention that, thru a friend, I ordered another pack of Schrader that includes some of the other wines that weren't available to me (GIII, Schrader label cab, T6). I don't know why i get all excited when I order them, I wont drink them until at least 2020!
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
I have down AO sleeping in the cellar right now. It's one of the very few wine clubs that I belonged to. I can't wait to drink yhe 2010 Stagecoach. It was incredible out of the barrel!

Also, the customer service at AO is fantastic. Jean is a good man and I highly suggest meeting him if you are ever out there.
I am also a member of the AO wine club. Busted open some AO Malbec last night as we just wanted a bottle of something different and it was a nice surprise. I really enjoy their wines.
First Page Last Page
Page 65 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.