Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,058 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HEB 20% off any 12 bottles sale. Including bottles already on sale.

2010 Antica $31.99

2012 Caymus $51.99
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
HEB 20% off any 12 bottles sale. Including bottles already on sale.

2010 Antica $31.99

2012 Caymus $51.99

SUMBEECH! Why are there no HEB's up here?!?!?
cecil77
AG
The Caymus is $48.something... I miscombobulated...
cecil77
AG
Pulled a bottle out of the back of the chiller tonight for dinner at the local pizza joint. Got three of them for $30ea onlne a couple of years ago. A Spanish Grenache and really very good after a bit of a decant. From "Wine Advocate":

quote:
The 2005 Mancuso was aged for 14 months in new French oak. It offers up a superb bouquet of toasty new oak, pencil lead, scorched earth, espresso, black cherry, and blackberry liqueur. Opulent, rich, and complex on the palate, this full-bodied wine has tons of flavor, nicely concealed ripe tannin, and a long, fruit-filled finish. Cellar it for 6-8 years and drink it from 2016 to 2030.' Jun 2009 96 points
reload85
Sounds like a winner Cecil. Spain is one of my favorite wine sources.
HTownAg98
I had a 2010 Sansilvestri Barolo last night with pasta with bolognese. It's a pretty good Barolo for $30.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Need a few Napa recs from you guys.

Looking for some additional vineyards around the Stuhlmuller Vineyard which is located at 4951 W Soda Rock Ln, Healdsburg, CA 95448, east of Healdsburg. Has anyone been to Storybrook Mountain Vineyards? Anything else over there?

Also has anyone ever done Palmaz?

Thanks in advance, I have gotten some good help from htownag98's threads that I searched.
BSD
AG
Lancaster is one of my favorite Sonoma cabs and isn't too far from there (15 minutes according to map). It is one of 4 wineries that I liked enough to join and have them send me automatic shipments. Chalk Hill winery isn't far from there and offers a very cool tour of the property.
bularry
Soda Rock winery is a fun visit in that area, but that isn't Napa. If you are willing to spend some money, StoneStreet is also very near to there and they make some nice cabs and chardonnays. finally, for a nice afternoon, go to Medlock Ames around 4 and taste their wines and then hang around till 5 pm when the cocktail bar opens and have a well made coacktail.

All those are within a couple of miles of Stuhlmuller, which is a great price to quality wine producer.

BSD
AG
I celebrated the win last night with a glass of 2008 Myriad George III (Rutherford) cab. It was amazing. That guy can do no wrong with a grape.
cecil77
AG
Was that a tad young or just hitting it's stride? I asked Mike and he said 5-7 years, so you're right there. Think it could go longer? And speaking of Myriad, just today was thinking that it's only about a month till my order arrives!
reload85
Anyone had a Sangrantino?
BSD
AG
Cecil, it could definitely go longer but was shining last night.
reload85
I had my first cote rotie and condrieu last night. The former was ethereal, but the later was disappointing.they were both from Guigal and both rated 93 by RP. Go figure.
cecil77
AG
Was the Cote Rotie aged?
reload85
No it was a 2010. It was decanted for 2 hours.
BSD
AG
My wife pulled a '12 Rivers Marie pinot last night. She thought it was a Sonoma Coast bottling but it was in fact the Summa Old Vines. I naturally took a few sips and was thinking, "damn this is good $25 wine!!!" I didn't find out til this morning it was $75.
HTownAg98
Drank and old standby with lamb burgers tonight: 2012 seghesio sonoma county zin. You can do a whole lot worse for $19. A solid mix of red and dark fruits, a little chocolate on the mid-palette, and a little green briar on the finish. This is how Zinfandel was made 20 years ago, before the fruit bomb craze hit. It's got enough acid in it to stand up to fatty lamb burgers.
dermdoc
AG
BSD please email me at wecollins77@gmail.com if possible.

Long time no see

Ed Collins aka dermdoc
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And fwiw drinking an Orin Swift Trigger Grenache.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
Ed! How's it going buddy? Email sent.

I also added a bottle to my cellar today (pending delivery): a '96 Salon champagne. When I get back to France, I'll have to find a way to visit these guys...even if I have to sneak in after dark.
rononeill
quote:
My wife pulled a '12 Rivers Marie pinot last night. She thought it was a Sonoma Coast bottling but it was in fact the Summa Old Vines. I naturally took a few sips and was thinking, "damn this is good $25 wine!!!" I didn't find out til this morning it was $75.

I did something similar when my wife was pregnant. With pizza and a brunello. Whoops ftw.
HTownAg98
quote:
Ed! How's it going buddy? Email sent.

I also added a bottle to my cellar today (pending delivery): a '96 Salon champagne. When I get back to France, I'll have to find a way to visit these guys...even if I have to sneak in after dark.

You can do a tour/tasting if you are in the industry. Get your favorite wine store to print some business cards for you and make an appointment.
BSD
AG
Htown, yeah, I've heard you need an "in" to get an appointment there. I will call in some favors when the time is right. I think I'm still 5 years away, though. Having a young kid really isn't conducive to international travel. He doesn't mind the long flights, but the culture would be lost on him. Until then, it's the beach!
BSD
AG
MacDonald and Stone the Crows released today. I dipped in on MacDonald but passed on Stone the Crows.
BSD
AG
It seems that eveyone is releasing a wine today. I just bought some Pott cabs, too! It's one if my favorites so I couldn't pass it up. I think it's time to slow down on buying now! Well, maybe a bottle of burgundy or two and then I'm done.
cecil77
AG
Email from Myriad shipping soon, too!
HTownAg98
J sent their fall release already, and Burgess ships next week.
rononeill
Brick House, White Rose, Chappellet, du Ponte, Fisher, and Schweiger all in the air within the next 2 weeks- need to make some room!
bularry
most of mine will be shipped next week or the week after (Delille, Donkey and Goat, Papapeitro Perry) and my one Napa list in early November. can't wait, but no idea where I'm putting the boxes.
reload85
My stuff ships in the next 30 days. Beresan , Bunnell, Brickhouse, and Andrew Will. I can't wait.

rononeill
Brick house of Oregon? How'd you find them? They were a rec fr a b&b we stayed at. Had a really great visit there.
reload85
Yes of Oregon. I am having them shipped from a wine shop in Seattle. Who recommended it to me.The owner is a retired CBS reporter . He was part of the second wave of the pinot producers that was well regarded from Oregon. Pioneers were David Lett,, and Dick Ponzi. 1 st wave Domaine Drouhin and Serene. 2 nd wave Archery Summit and Brick house then the post sideways explosion . Please note there are many more, but I am giving you the names that I think are the biggest. I would try them all.
Pedro Cerano
AG
Brick House is good. I spent 4 months working in Portland in the middle part of this year and my wife came up a few times and we tried to drink our way across the state. Unfortunately many of the Oregon pinots don't distribute in Texas. I spoke to the guy at Brick House and he told me because of the limited amount they produce there's no need. They can sell it all on the West Coast. The furthest east Brick House makes it is Colorado. I asked him if he ever thought they would have a distributor in Houston and he said probably not. In addition to Brick House we also really liked White Rose, Westrey, Domaine Drouhin, Carlton Hill, Bergstrom and Christom. I've seen a few of those at Specs/Bunker Hill HEB, but its usually the baseline wine as opposed to all of the different single vineyard varieties you can buy in Portland.

I've still got a bunch in my wine fridge from my travels but once it all runs out I'll probably have to join a few wine clubs in order to get more. My wife and I really liked the more subtle/balanced pinots of Oregon. They seem more old world than most of the California pinots though there are many California pinots we like as well.
rononeill
The west U HEB had some '08 beaux freres for 75 in the spring. That's what got us turned on to it. Great stuff!
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.