Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,043 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
reload85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BSD, how was the 89? I have a couple of bottles 89 Lagrange, the St. Julian estate. I had a bottle in May and I feel that they still has a couple of years left. I need to get down to business and enjoy them soon.
BSD
AG
It was really good and a nice change of pace to have some older Bordeaux. I'm not sure about your 89s but this one was probably at its peak. A lovely wine though.
bularry
I've had a couple of Cahors I really liked that were near $20, can't remember.

the problem is finding very much of it. go by the importer to judge the quality (if you are choosing blind)
jpb1999
AG
I just bought a Honig 2011 cab... Twin Liqours is having their cost + $1 sale. Any recs on when to drink it or its quality?

I am a wine novice in knowledge but want to taste what a really good red could taste like. Any recs under around $50 or so.

In the past have always bought cheaper pinot noirs (under $20) but have grown tired of them as they seem dull tasting. Have started to enjoy dry whites as in chardonays. Just bought a newton unfiltered that I can't wait to try. But again would like a good red recommendation.

TIA
cecil77
AG
Honig makes a nice wine. Now-ish is a good time to drink it. It will be fine and even improve for a few years, but it's not a cellar bottle I don't think..

Chateau Montelena is a good under $50 as well. Stat's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis lists for over fifty, but is a low as $32 upon occasion. Really a good value at that price.
HTownAg98
I had a La Storia the other night, and it was pretty good. Around $32 I think. The Round Pond red label cab is pretty good as well in that $30 range.
BSD
AG
For the Hobel wine fans, I have it on good authority that the '12 vintage that is now being released is the "best one yet."
Atty_Ag
I quickly went through the cab area at the Twin Liquors sale. The only thing of note that I bought was a 2006 Schweiger Spring Mountain cab that I am looking forward to having. There were some pretty good markdowns for anyone thinking of going.
HTownAg98
quote:
For the Hobel wine fans, I have it on good authority that the '12 vintage that is now being released is the "best one yet."

You're going to be hearing a lot of that regarding 2012. 2013 should be a carbon copy of 2012.
BSD
AG
I usually take those superlative quotes with a grain of salt. I heard many wineries scream that same thing in '07 but this guy knows a little something about this wine and doesn't always throw things like that out. And it was said in a non-marketing conversation (he doesnt sell wine) so I'll take his word for it. Plus remember the context here, this is only the 5th vintage so if you've been liking the previous vintages, you'll love this one. I haven't bought the last two vintages but picked up two bottles on this go around.

That said, '12 should be a good year for a lot of wineries. I wish I could drink more!
djmeen95
AG
So today while the Ags play, we made it a white wine kinda night! A nice Cloudy Bay Sauv Blanc with some chicken kabobs. On to bottle 2!

Who says you can't enjoy wine and foosball?!?
HTownAg98
I do it all the time. In fact, some of the best wines I've had have been shared by sips during sip football games. Funny how those wines taste better while watching the sips get throttled.
BSD
AG
Wine is perfectly acceptable for football games. I've done it numerous times.
BSD
AG
I just bought a few bottles of 1975 goodies for the big 4-0 next year. Sauternes, Port, Bordeaux, etc. I'd say I cant wait, but I can.
rononeill
Atty - I hope you enjoy the Schweiger. We visited a few years ago and what a cool place... the tasting patio is on a lawn, on the roof of the cellar, figure that one out...

We joined and really find them to be a great value - their cabs drink way better than most $50 folks out there - and their Sauvignon Blancs are exactly what you'd expect from a $40 SV - just that they charge $20
jpb1999
AG
Thanks for the recommendations.
BSD
AG
After buying some older stuff online today, I decided to go grab a few fresh things to age in the cellar...

cecil77
AG
...sigh... So tempting to call you an a-hole...
BSD
AG
Somehow I knew you'd chime in on that pic. The other Sauternes I bought today was a '75 d'Yquem. Trying to find some '71 now as well as '75 champagne.
BSD
AG
And don't worry, I've been called worse.
cecil77
AG
I will crawl on my hands and knees to Houston for that '75 d'Yquem. Just give me a couple months notice!
Atty_Ag
rononeill,

Yup, we visited them in 2009 and brought back a few bottles. It's a beautiful place. I love the mountain cabs.
cecil77
AG
Drinking a 2010 Sojourn Spring Mountain cab right now. Very good for the $32 price.
BSD
AG
quote:
I will crawl on my hands and knees to Houston for that '75 d'Yquem. Just give me a couple months notice!

You can crawl to Houston but we'll be drinking it in Hawaii!
BSD
AG
quote:
. I love the mountain cabs.

Same here. One of my favorite cabs of the last few years was the 2007 Pott Spring Mountain cab from a vineyard I can't spell. Such complexity and layer after layer of flavors!!! I thought I had an extra one laying down but went to find it this week and it was gone. I guess I was hammered and drank it but never took it out of Cellartracker. Oh well...
reload85
More 12 Oregon Pinots are showing up on the shelves of wine merchants around the country. I am having a rough time restraining myself . St. innocent are being poured this weekend in VA. I am not familiar with that winery. suggestions anyone?
bularry
St Innocent is a good, consistent producer. I have never been blown away by one of their offerings, but my sample size is pretty small.

The Oregon Pinot and Chard trend is starting to pick up some steam in the marketplace, great to see.
reload85
Bularry we agree on greater exposure. Have you or anyone else ever had the creator? I can pick up the 12' for $60. I am tempted, but the price is saying no.
HTownAg98
We laid several soldiers to rest in the field of battle last night.

Billecart-Salmon Brut Ros NV
Domaine Chante Cigale Chateneuf-du-Pape 2011
Chateau Giscors Margaux 2010
Burgess Triere Vineyard Merlot 2010
Corazon del Sol Malbec 2012.
reload85
HTown , you finally convinced me. I bought a bottle of the 09 Burgess Merlot . I will have it this week with Buffalo mushroom burgers. how was the Giscour? I have had the 89 years ago. I think I can remember a Margaux violet nose hat that A0C is famous for.
HTownAg98
The Giscour was nice, but I liked the CdP a little better. Both were pretty damn good.
I think I only have three bottles of the Burgess left, so I'll be ordering more soon.
BSD
AG
For htown:

http://www.biteclubeats.com/breaking-cyrus-2-0/
HTownAg98
Nice.
reload85
HTown, what is your bottle aging philosophy? I have 2 CdP a 96 Pegau and a 98 la Nerthe .i should probably drink. You seem to drink your Bordeaux early as well. Thanks in advance.
bularry
reload,

I'm a fan of the Creator and all K Vintner wines. I tasted the 09 a few years ago (it was young). I have 2 bottle of the 10 I'm holding on to for a while.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.