Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,126 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
reload85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone fond of Gruner V. From Austria?
reload85
Campout it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want. Good wine shops have some great clubs.For example if you like Oregon Pinots there is a club that intrigues me that runs $50 a month 2 bottles and a 15% reorder discount. I am sure there are more of these types of specialty clubs for all types of wine. I am not familiar with Texas shipping restrictions which maybe a hurdle. My one bit of advices is only select vendors that ship in temperature appropriate windows. You do not want to pay for damaged wine.
HTownAg98
Yes, it is great in the summertime.0
cecil77
AG
And for online buying their are options as well. Three that I track...

www.undergroundcellar.com

www.wtso.com

www.invino.com
bularry
I'd be wary of clubs that mail you wine, there are some serious scams out there. Just was too much crap mass produced all around the world that can find its way to you.

I've just started budgeting this past year to join some winery clubs. no guarantees on vintage, but an established winery with a good winemaker is hard to beat. not the cheapest route, I assure you, but I'm enjoying it for now, although not sure how long my wife will allow me to spend this much of our small sliver of "disposable" income in future years!!
bularry
reload,

I've not been that impressed by the G Vetliner's I've tried. They seem to be all the rage, though.
Nom de Plume
AG
I check in frequently and appreciate all the reviews. I'm not able to disect tastes like many of you, but certainly take notes for future reference.

Bought an Edgestar dual zone 36 bottle fridge for the new house to go under the counter in the butler's. Can't wait to get it installed. Anyone else have/had one?

Our any day is Alexander Valley Cab. For $14-17 i can't find a better one.

Picked up 1.75L of Caymus 40th on sale tonight; will try with friends tomorrow. Sounds tasty.

[This message has been edited by nom de plume (edited 8/20/2014 9:39p).]
Nom de Plume
AG
Do you guys label wines with a date sticker when you plan to keep it a few years?
dr_boogs
AG
Nom- I've got an Edgestar 56 single zone and have enjoyed it. Have had it a year or so. I'd suggest you pick up one of those digital hygrometer/thermometers to monitor humidity and temp. My temp runs 2 degrees warmer at bottom (fan is up top) and humidity can range just a little. A number of pages back in this thread humidity was discussed w these chillers that aren't supposed to be long term storage units. A sponge soaked w distilled water will help keep humidity steady if you have big swings in humidity.

[This message has been edited by dr_boogs (edited 8/16/2014 9:30p).]

[This message has been edited by dr_boogs (edited 8/16/2014 9:31p).]
HTownAg98
Nom, I just use cellartracker.
reload85
Anyone had the 2012 Joseph Carr cab from Napa? If so what do you think?
BSD
AG
A 6.1 mag earthquake hit Napa this morning with the epicenter being in American Canyon, where most of the wine storage warehouses are located. While I'm hearing that there are no injuries, the same can't be said for the wine. I'm crossing my fingers!
dr_boogs
AG
Hat tip to BSD. Tried a bottle of the 2007 the Sisters last night. Jones family wines. In a word, delicious. Great nose, fruit forward but not fruity, mild pepper/spice, good oak balance, and tannins had mellowed. 5 stars, thanks BSD!!!
HTownAg98
Tweet from Mathiasson:
https://twitter.com/matthiassonwine/status/503519628660715520
BSD
AG
My buddy is at the customs crush facility where he makes his wine and is waiting on the owners to arrive to ope it up. In the meantime he's watching wine pour out from under the door in the barrel room.
BSD
AG
quote:
Hat tip to BSD. Tried a bottle of the 2007 the Sisters last night. Jones family wines. In a word, delicious. Great nose, fruit forward but not fruity, mild pepper/spice, good oak balance, and tannins had mellowed. 5 stars, thanks BSD!!!

I'm glad that you enjoyed that one! That winery has always been a bit under the radar.
BSD
AG
quote:
Tweet from Mathiasson:
https://twitter.com/matthiassonwine/status/503519628660715520

Yikes.
aggiejumper
AG
Wow, just saw a few tweets from other wineries. David from Silver Oak posted some pics, lots of damage, I'm sure it's the tip of the iceberg as far as damage. Napa/Sonoma wine prices just went up.
HTownAg98
It may not be bad, depending on where you are. Adam Lee tweeted this from his facility in Santa Rosa:
https://twitter.com/siduriwines/status/503506087212249088
HTownAg98
Shafer and Burgess reporting minimal damage, and little to no wine lost.
BSD
AG
Sonoma seems to be fine since it was further away from the epicenter. Downtown Napa looks bad as well as some of the southern wineries in the county. Blackbird had several barrels down and I've seen some tanks toppled over in pics from Oakville (probably not full yet thankfully). Roy Piper Cellars had his barrels survive at the custom crush facility in Napa while others in the same facility lost theirs. Trefethen looks really bad from the outside...like the whole building had shifted. Some will be lucky from this quake, other won't. I feel for them all, especially as harvest is starting right now.
BSD
AG
This Trefethen building probably wont make it...

HTownAg98
From what I've read, the distribution warehouses in American Canyon faired pretty well. Those buildings were built to withstand moderate earthquakes, and wine on pallets that has been shrink wrapped can take a lot of shaking and not come apart.

Based on what I've read and heard the last two days, most places faired pretty well, with wine losses being minimal. Another thing to keep in mind is that 2013 was a huge crop. Losing 20% of that isn't going to be a huge issue.
BSD
AG
yeah, I've heard good things for the most part as well. I'm sure today will be spent checking tanks to make sure they are structurally sound for all of the incoming juice.
BSD
AG
My mom had emailed me that Silver Oak had lost a few hundred bottles. Really, mom? They make 108,000 CASES per year!!!!
HTownAg98
What they lost was a lot of library wines. If it means that much to them, they can contact their mailing list people and buy back bottles if they need to.
BSD
AG
If it was anything more recent than 1995, then no real loss there!!!!!!
HTownAg98
You aren't the first to express that sentiment.

A truly sad note: Donald Patz lost pretty much everything in his personal cellar.
TP Ag '87
AG
Damn re: Trefethen. Holds a special place in my and rib's hearts. Guess my next shipment is in jeopardy.

Waltonloads08
AG
anything decent from Cahors, France for under $20?
HTownAg98
No, sadly. Lots of bad Malbec from there under $20.
Waltonloads08
AG
figures. Seems like you can't really get anything good from France under $40.
HTownAg98
Not necessarily true. Rhone varietals, Sancerre, Chablis, and some good Bordeaux can be found for under $20. The kicker is you need to find a wine store that carries a lot of French wine to find these gems.
reload85
Mas del a Perie 07 malbec from Cahors is a nice bottle of wine not your typical argentine malbec. It was in the top half of a malbec in my wine tasting group.
BSD
AG
Dinner at Braserrie 19 tonight so I went the Bordeaux route.

First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.