Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,071 Views | 10410 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by cecil77
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For French below $35,

look for French wines imported by Kermit Lynch, or go to Houston Wine Merchant and ask them for a rec in your price range. There is also a French wine place in the village, French Country Wines i think, they might have some good suggestions.

You can find good french stuff under $20, but it does take some effort (more than I can usually make, frankly)
Waltonloads08
AG
I got a rothschild lefite 2010 medoc "reserve" (reserved for the cheap-o's) for $18 at Specs the other day.

Its terrible. Totally flat taste, notes of church service wine on the finish.
Waltonloads08
AG
And yes, i just got it because i knew the name.
HTownAg98
I've made that same mistake too, as does everyone when they get into wine. You see the name, and think it must be pretty decent. Then you taste it.
cecil77
AG
I find that $35-ish price point to be the same for most all red wines, i.e. at/above $35 you're highly likely to get a good (or better) wine. Sure there's a ton of good wine less than that, but not as certain.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
I've made that same mistake too, as does everyone when they get into wine. You see the name, and think it must be pretty decent. Then you taste it.

I fully expected the wine to be nothing spectacular at that price, but at least representative of the flavor structure of the region's grape.

Wow, I sure hope not...very disappointed.
cecil77
AG
HEB Napa Sale reports:

I've only been once, hope to go this weekend.

So far:

2 ea of
Franke Family Pinot
Stag's Leap Artemis
Caymus Napa Cab
HTownAg98
Is that the 40th anniversary Caymus? Have you tried it yet? I only ask because if you haven't, you may want to take it back. I tried it about two weeks ago, and don't like it. It is so rich and dense, it tastes off-dry, like they added some sugar to it. I think they did some extra manipulation to it.

[This message has been edited by HTownAg98 (edited 7/24/2014 2:05p).]
cecil77
AG
No, I haven't. I tend to hold on to them for at least a couple of years. If it tastes anything remotely like their Conundrum, that I would indeed return it. The reviews on wine.com are positive, so it could be a stylistic preference.
If I don't like it, Caymus always impresses as a gift...

Was that paired with food or by itself? Think it would alter your opinion?

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 7/24/2014 2:39p).]
HTownAg98
It was by itself. All of the components that you would expect to find from Caymus were there, but that sweetness just threw me. It wasn't what I was expecting for a special bottling.
cecil77
AG
hmm... I'm very sensitive to sweetness, it's ofe of the things I can really identify. Sounds like I'll just have to open one up! Thanks for the heads up. I don't know if you've tried Conundrum, but it's between off-dry and semi-sweet. I don't care for it at all.
HTownAg98
It's not nearly as sweet as Conundrum, but it's like they tried to make that red like it.
aggiejumper
AG
I've had the 40th anniversary edition a few times and think it'll become less sweet over a few years. It does have a caramel, almost butterscotch sweetness to it, much more than other vintages but you still have the typical Caymus cherry/fruit flavors.

To me, the regular Caymus has always been on the sweeter side of things anyhow. Their special selection is a different story.

I've never had the Conundrum so I can't compare to it.

[This message has been edited by aggiejumper (edited 7/24/2014 3:23p).]
dr_boogs
AG
Had a bottle of Thomas Hill's BDL Napa Cab labelled 'Hill' this weekend, 2011 vintage. Very nice bottle for the price - mid -20's. If you're looking for an easy drinking cab that has a decent nose, is pretty balanced - not too much fruit, a bit of pepper with a little hint of oak without a ton of tannins in that price range (not a barn burner but a solid bottle), pick one up and give it a try. Went back to pick up a couple more bottles and the Specs closest to me was out of their allotment.

Apparently the BDL (black dog line) is Hill's second wine, a blend from a number of vineyards in the region. That led me to the discovery of his signature wine, Hill Cab. Trying to locate a bottle or two, 2011 or 2010 vintage. What say you wine enthusiasts about Hill's signature cab?

Another solid mid 20's bottle was Slingshot, 2011 vintage. It's a Napa cab blend as well. Would recommend it as an every day drinker/drink now/party gift, same with the Hill BDL cab.
cecil77
AG
Opened a 2012 Caymus last night.

Bear in mind, that I know what I'm tasting but can't articulate it as well as some of you.

I didn't perceive the sweetness y'all do. I did notice a (what I would call) "buttery" over tone to it. It accompanied pizza, so maybe that was part of it. It was pretty good. Yes, fruity, but I tend to like that style. I did think that the tannins were pretty soft. "Unsubstantial" even. Don't know how it will hold up over 5-7 years. I'll be keeping the bottles though!

It was dense, but I like that as well.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 7/26/2014 8:38a).]
djmeen95
AG
Thanks for the heads up on the HEB sale fellas!

Or perhaps I should say - "why did y'all ever mention this sale?!?!?"

lol

Went today and got a few bottles of smushed grapes. We had the Silver Oak on our cruise this past week and loved it so really happy to find more of it at a great price. :-)

And with all the chatter on the 2012 Caymus, had to grab one of those as well. Love this part of the board and can't thank the folks on here enough for helping me learn a bit more about wines as I lurk about.

Wine. WHOOP!

[This message has been edited by djmeen95 (edited 7/26/2014 2:09p).]
HTownAg98
quote:
Opened a 2012 Caymus last night.

Bear in mind, that I know what I'm tasting but can't articulate it as well as some of you.

I didn't perceive the sweetness y'all do. I did notice a (what I would call) "buttery" over tone to it. It accompanied pizza, so maybe that was part of it. It was pretty good. Yes, fruity, but I tend to like that style. I did think that the tannins were pretty soft. "Unsubstantial" even. Don't know how it will hold up over 5-7 years. I'll be keeping the bottles though!

It was dense, but I like that as well.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 7/26/2014 8:38a).]

Cecil, I'm glad you like it. After looking though what you've tasted I thought you may like it, but thought it might be a little over the top. You're descriptors are dead-on. It's definitely dense and fruit forward, with very soft tannins. I won't turn it down if someone offers a glass, but for me, I'd rather spend $50-$60 elsewhere. It reminds me a lot of the Mollydooker Maître d' for about half the price.
HTownAg98
Had a 2012 Trentadue La Storia cab tonight. Lots if plum on the nose, with good dark fruit flavors throughout the palate. Good tannin structure on this Alexander Valley/Sonoma County cab. Drink soon.
FarmerJohn
AG
Just got done touring the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia. It's a much bigger wine country here in North America than I think most people recognize. That's probably because of the lack of marketing here in the States. That which they export is sent to Asian markets. They excel at a lot of German varieties and point noir. The biggest problem in the valley is that demand is so high that they are releasing wine a year before they should. Mission Hill is the flagship of the valley, but is pretty commercial. I also liked Poplar Grove and Cedar Creek.
cecil77
AG
djmeen95, that SLWC Artemis for under $33 is really a good deal. Makes Artemis a good everyday wine. Is this a great country, or what?
djmeen95
AG
Ha - Cecil, exactly what I thought. At $33 it's a great any day wine!!!
bularry
I've had some good value Trentadue before, it has been a good bargain drinker. I'd rather buy it for $14 than Artemis for $33 (no offense to anyone!)

Had an Owen Roe 2007 DuBrol vineyard Cab last week. Man, what a great wine!
djmeen95
AG
No offense taken - in fact sounds like I should try a bottle of the Trentadue!

Which one do you recommend? See where they have the Zins, Merlots, Sangiovese - each for around $15 - $18/bottle. Also saw the La Storia on their site under their Reserve wines - the cab looks like it's about $33.

Oh - and any idea where I can find a bottle around Humble, TX?

Thanks!!
reload85
Bularry. 07 is a hell of a year. Dubrul is one of the better ones in the yak. Dineen has some pretty great fruit as well.
HTownAg98
I found the La Storia at an HEB Plus.
Waltonloads08
AG
Cecil, do you use those vinotemp chillers still? Id like to get something for between 30-40 bottles, but not sure what to get. curious why most all the vinotemps on amazon have poor reviews.

I feel hesitent to buy nice wine until i can store it properly.

Thanks.
cecil77
AG
I have to of that size that have a "Vissani" brand name. Model MVWC52B. Got them at Lowe's. First one was $249. Second on sale for $149. They been very good for me. Single temp, which I set a 57. I keep my long term stuff in them. They are rated at 52 bottles, but 40 is a better fit. They're 3-4 years old. If I could find a couple more of them, I'd buy 'em.

Also have a big one that holds about a 100. The model number is CM45. The brand may be "Derby" but I'm not sure. It has a big temp gradient from top to bottom (62 down to 42) so I use it for everyday stuff and the few whites or champagne that I have. It's been fine as well, about 8 years old.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 7/28/2014 10:39a).]
HTownAg98
Your big chiller is likely a Danby. I've got a 40 bottle size, and it works great. Specs has them on a $100 off special occasionally if you use your Specs key.
cecil77
AG
Yeah, it's "Danby". The translator for the manual put "Derby" in the Great Britain english section.

Other than the temp gradient, it's been great. There is another setting that's not so cold on the bottom, but it's about 65 for most of the unit and I prefer to store them a little cooler than that.
Waltonloads08
AG
Thanks for the info.

One other random question or two:

My wife and I were married in 2010, and i want to buy and store a napa cab or pinot noir for our 10th in 2020.

$75 - $100, but would do more if worth it.

Thanks again. I know this is subjective and lots of choices.
BSD
AG
Ridge Monte Bello is an age worthy wine. I buy 2 bottles a year to age for 20+ years but I'm sure it would be great in 10. I actually bought 6 mags of 2009 Monte Bello for my son's birthyear. He'll have a helluva 21st birthday party with one of those I'm sure. The others can be used whenever he wants later on down the road.

If you are in Houston, I might have a Hobel cab that I can offer at cost. I also might have a 12C cab from Georges III vineyard in Rutherford.
cecil77
AG
If you didn't mine a 2008 vintage, Sherwin Family Estate Cabernet is really, really good.

Pride Mountain Reserve Cab 2010 is really good as well. Their web site shows it sold out, but maybe you can get it somewhere else... Honestly, in that price range anything is going to be pretty celebratory!
HTownAg98
Dunn is another one to look at, though some will say their wines are still babies at 10 years old.
13wins
AG
quote:

One other random question or two:

My wife and I were married in 2010, and i want to buy and store a napa cab or pinot noir for our 10th in 2020.

$75 - $100, but would do more if worth it.

Thanks again. I know this is subjective and lots of choices.

This is a great idea. My wife and I were married in 2005 and planned the same thing. For our 10 year anniversary (next year) we will be opening our 2005 Far Niente Cab.

djmeen95
AG
For the record - nice summer night and pretty much any wine from Marlborough region of New Zealand works for me.

Favorite favorite sauv blanc is a nice Sancerre - but man those New Zealand wines are some kinda easy drinking bargain.

May or may not have just finished a bottle with the wife. Probably more may than may not...
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.