Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,717 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We mentioned you to Michael, and abused you for a bit!

Healdsburg is great. It will be one of the places we hang next time. Had one of the best burgers ever at Healdsburg Burgers.

Got to get the Chocolote Bouchon to you!

rononeill
we're out there next week. arrive thursday, will drive to sonoma thursday afternoon just to see the town - heard high recs for the westwood tasting room. then head back for dinner at Ad Hoc.

friday - pride, keenan, schweiger, fisher family; dinner at Celedon

saturday - chappellet, david arthur, neyers or nichelini, then ZD; dinner at morimoto.

the driver has rec'd davidarthur/neyers/nichelini, so we're looking forward to a little "adventure".

super stoked!
BSD
AG
Cecil, Mike has some good dirt on me. I'm actually surprised he still lets me show up at Envy. I think I made some of his other guests uncomfortable one time! Great guy though. Great wines too!
BSD
AG
Ron, I've heard good things about David Arthur and the amount of wine he pours. I love Pritchard Hill wines. It's one of my favorite appellations in Napa. When on Spring Mountain, I'd recommend Behrens as well...if you have the time.
cecil77
AG
quote:
friday - pride, keenan, schweiger, fisher family; dinner at Celedon

Have fun! I wish I were going back already.

If you've not been to either, I'd recommend Sherwin Family over Keenan. Both on Spring Mountain. Sherwin had better wines and a 1000% better tasting experience. I'll post some pics this evening...
rononeill
just asked "my guy" about swapping Sherwin for Keenan... we'll see!
TP Ag '87
AG
Cecil: Sounds like your Keenan experience wasn't too far from what I had experienced and posted earlier.

Thanks for the full blown report. Will use it for our December trip planning.

Also, for you, BSD and others: do you guys carry purchases home with you or ship them? We've done both: shipped and bought a shipping box out there and checked it on the plane. Kind of a p/i/t/a though.

aggiemike02
AG

[This message has been edited by aggiemike02 (edited 8/27/2013 5:20p).]
cecil77
AG
http://thewinecheck.com/

Lots of places in Napa sell these, no need to pay more than about sixty bucks. We have two.
BSD
AG
I have two wine checks as well. My friends laugh because I actually take wine TO Napa!
La Fours
AG
BSD, I may hit you up to borrow one of your wine checks if I end up going to Anaheim in January. Of course, it won't be wine in it when I get back.
BSD
AG
I use my wine checks for beer more than wine! When we go to Napa, we have the wine shipped back and I carry Pliny home. NCol has one right now to bring beer down for the Bama game.
La Fours
ag4life74
AG
Cline ancient vine
rononeill
my gourmand neighbor threw together some wicked awesome fried rice while we were cocktailing last night. i grabbed a bottle of Candor Zin Id had in the cooler for a while - don't remember the year (got it at HEB a few months ago). But it was nails w/ a pork/lamb/soy/sesame mashup. never thought about Zin w chinese, but will definitely do so in the future.
dermdoc
AG
Awesome to finally meet the great BSD this weekend.

The cabernet franc was awesome but alas too quickly gone.

Last night Mrs. derm made me a grilled cheese(2 hand grated cheeses with pimento chees) with bourbon carmelized onions.

Perfect with a Carlisle syrah.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cecil77
AG
Did he wear a cape and have a big "W" on his chest?
BSD
AG
Had you said Ironman, you'd be much, much closer! Seriously.

Dermdoc, it was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks again for your generosity and I'm glad you enjoyed the Detert. Maybe next year we can split a nice bottle at dinner once I get all this treatment stuff figured out. Let's think along the lines of Schrader/Scarecrow/etc...
dermdoc
AG
Sounds great.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
Did some inventory reduction at a friend that is moving soon.

2007 Tor Howell Mountain
2009 Darioush cab franc
2005 Kaesler The Bogan (corked, dammit)
2006 Chappellet cab franc.
BSD
AG
If anyone wants my M Etain allocation, let me know. I think we are still a few weeks out but they sent out a "heads up" email today.
rononeill
Would be very interested, just have a hard time opening $200 bottles...
BSD
AG
If you don't account for tax or shipping, it's only $150!
rononeill
Day 1- Westwood tasting room in Sonoma. Quite delish, a tart Pinot and a more mild Pinot, then a gsm and Syrah. They fumbled a rose then retreated it to turn it into a delish dessert wine. Aggie owned. Highly recommend.
Ad Hoc for dinner. Kind of let down, maybe too high expectations. Still good though, not a must-do by any means though. $25 cork fee is nice though.
Mary Magdalene
I've been to Healdsburg. Love J Vineyards. Can't believe this is my first post here!!!
BSD
AG
Here are the wines my wife opened for the game last night. The Leviathan was a clear winner.

Edited to include pic...

[This message has been edited by BSD (edited 9/9/2013 2:45p).]
cecil77
AG
Napa snapshots:

Sherwin Family:

Jericho Canyon:

Pride Mountain:

Far Niente:

Quintessa:

Swanson Family:
We met Ira Yager, the artist at our inn and arranged the salon tasting for us. They have a bunch of his art.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 9/9/2013 2:25p).]
BSD
AG
Looks like you guys had fun, Cecil. I was waiting for a picture of you passed out on the floor from too many tastings.
FarmerJohn
AG
cecil77-
Is that a Ferrari Daytona?

Can't let my wife see this page. She already wants very badly to make a return trip. (Not that I don't.)
cecil77
AG
Yes. The car of my teenage (heck, old man) dreams. The owner of Far Niente has the collection.
TP Ag '87
AG
That's awesome, Cecil. May have to add Far Niente to our schedule in December. Thanks for sharing.
cecil77
AG
Far Niente was the most organized tasting we did, but avoided being TOO slick. I do recommend it.
TP Ag '87
AG
Ok, wine and Napa experts, BSD and Cecil et al:

Based on this thread, Yelp, other people, etc., here's my possible list of visits in December, listed from North to South as we're staying in downtown Napa. No way we can make it to all of them in 2.5 days so I need to cull. We'll be with a couple who have never been but are up for anything, from sedate to boisterous and all in between. What are your thoughts?

Bennet Lane
Jericho Canyon
Lava
Crocker & Starr
Chappellet
Frog's Leap
Gargiulo
Far Niente
Paradigm
Hope & Grace
Trefethen (we're members and is special for us)
Hendry
William Hill
Biale
Tulocay
Domaine Carneros
Cuvaison (another with good memories)

Thanks.

cecil77
AG
Don't bother with Lava.

I'd replace it with either Chateau Montelena or Envy.
BSD
AG
I enjoy Crocker and Starr. It's a nice tasting and I enjoy the wines. It was one of the few automatic shipment clubs to which I belonged. It's also central in the valley so you're never too far from it.

Chappellet is fun but it's way up on Pritchard Hill so if you go that way, I'd make others stops at David Arthur, Ovid, or Continuum to make the drive worthwhile. FYI, Pritchard Hill is one of my favorite wine regions up there.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.