Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,280 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like Keenan wines and don't find them to be that expensive for the quality.

Regarding where the wine is sold, please realize that we have a 3 tier system in place. the wine makers sell to distributors and in truth, have little control over where the distributor sells that wine (like to a costco or Kroger).

this is exactly why "boutique" wineries do not sell many single vineyard stuff to distributors unless they know it is going only to restaurants, or very select retail locations.

unfortunately, if keenan is at Costco it is probably there because Costco bought a lot of other stuff from that distributor (probably one of the big boys like Republic) and as a "reward" for that big purchase, got some Keenan at a good price. happens quite often, I believe, although someone actually in the wine biz could correct me.
cecil77
AG
When conversing with the Mirror rep he really didn't believe me that I could get their Napa wine at my grocery store. Then a few days later called back and said that HEB is by far the biggest retailer of their wine. And this for a wine on "allocation" via their web site!

I think all of the laws just make wine distribution an arcane process...
BSD
AG
Just wait til you buy a bottle of Petrus and then see it on Wines Til Sold Out for a fraction of the cost. Ugh!!!
BSD
AG
By the way, as a follow-up to my post a few weeks ago, I will be unable to drink more than a couple of glasses per year so my cellar is now officially up for grabs. It will mainly be California reds since my wife is keeping the European bottles. If anyone has an interest, let me know. Cheers!
aggiejumper
AG
I tried and tried last year to get HEB to order a case of the Mirror Howell Mountain, their regular Napa is so good it made me curious how good the Howell can be, evidently that one is severely "allocated". I signed up for their mailing list and should be able to get some on their next release.

I'm excited to try is after y'all's rave reviews.

I see no problem with HEB selling boutique wines at great prices. It's much more fun than going to a liquor store and seeing the same 50-100 bottles of cab.
aggiejumper
AG
I'm interested in your wine, particularly California Cabs. What's left after your family and friends sale?
BSD
AG
I have a lot of CA cabs left! send me an email (in profile) and I'll send you my excel file.
FarmerJohn
AG
I believe the marketing study I found was in Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. It's an interesting read. I think that was it, I might be wrong. The thing is that many people might not even think they are impacted that way or think that where they buy something makes a difference in their enjoyment. And maybe for the seasoned professionals here, there is enough knowledge of the industry that it doesn't. But these emotions do drive the average consumer and it stands to reason that you might have some of the same emotional reactions.
cecil77
AG
Oh I agree. And I think that wine drinkers who spend silly amounts of money on their wine may be even MORE susceptible to that emotional/exclusive type of component!
rononeill
BSD - any Cali Pinot?
TP Ag '87
AG
BSD: email sent.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD - any Cali Pinot?

There might be a little left over. Not a lot though.

TP, received and replied.
cecil77
AG
Email also sent...
BSD
AG
Cecil, did you not get my reply last night? It came from my work email.
cecil77
AG
Can't seem to find it?

Had a 2008 Fossati Cascina Adelade Barolo tonight. Pretty tasty. Probably needs another year or two. A WTSO buy.
BSD
AG
Cecil, I've tried a few times. Now they are getting blocked. Do you have an alternate email you can send me a message from?
cecil77
AG
email sent with new reply to. Forgot my server doesn't like yahoo addresses...
dermdoc
AG
BSD, my email is Aggie1@logoncafe.net.

I would love to help you "unload" your supply if I can afford it.

Hope you are feeling okay.

Ed Collins
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cecil77
AG
They've had it several time, but WTSO.com has Napa "Maroon Wine" right now. Just the thing for your tailgaite!

http://wtso.com/

cecil77
AG
Rewatched "Sideways" tonight so of course I had to kill a bottle of Pino. 2008 Conn Valley Napa Pinot.

Pretty dang good... for a Pinot!
bularry
you wanted a Pinot and drank one from Napa? wine selection fail
rononeill
Are we gonna have this conversation again?
cecil77
AG
Just wanted to get a good one and HEB only has about three in stock. I just finished reading "Vertical" the sequel to "Sideways" and it's set in the Willamette Valley.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was plenty robust, and even a bit earthy, not completely different from a Rhone...
HTownAg98
I had some Adronicus cab and Beau Vigne cab last night, along with a 2009 Moone-Tsai last night. All three were drinking very well.
FarmerJohn
AG
Had a bottle of 2006 Karl Lawrence Cabernet courtesy of BSD. Nothing more descriptive on tasting notes other than "Holy cow, that is good."
cecil77
AG
BSD - wine pusher nonpareil!
BSD
AG
Karl Lawrence is good juice and comes at a great price. Now try to find their single vineyard designates!
cecil77
AG
Just sent them a request for a tasting!
BSD
AG
I hope you can get an appointment. They are dissolving the KL partnership soon so load up while you can!
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
BSD - wine pusher nonpareil!

I would feel awkward calling another man a sugary confection.

Oh, you meant the adjective. Yes, then I would agree.
BSD
AG
Thank you?
BSD
AG
From a wine site I read:

quote:
Houstonians,

The Kroger on San Felipe and Voss has the 2009 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet for $41.99.

I asked the wine manager if this was correct, since this is typically the price range for the regular Napa bottling. He said it was correct, and in fact was the lowest priced bottling Montelena produces (the label has the distinctive gold "The Montelena Estate" at the top).

There is roughly a case left for those interested.
cecil77
AG
That would be worth the drive from here! Close to a thousand bucks savings on a case.
RangerRick9211
AG
We had an interesting twist last weekend that led to this:

Thought you guys might appreciate it.
BSD
AG
Wow. Just wow.
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.