Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,294,028 Views | 10580 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by cecil77
13wins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Recommendations please? Wineries, restaurants and other stuff to do/see.

But seriously...

These are two dinner spots I enjoy:

Press http://www.presssthelena.com/
Rutherford Grill http://www.hillstone.com/#/restaurants/rutherfordGrill/

For wineries:

You really can't go wrong. I can't say that I've been to a bad one in Napa.

HTownAg98
Avoid everything from California in 2011 like the plague, unless you're willing to spend more than $45/bottle. It's a vintage where very little of it got ripe, so a lot of unripe juice got dumped into the market, resulting in thin, astringent wines in the lower priced bottlings. There are some really awesome Burgundian style bottlings that year, but you are going to have to shell out some cash for them.
BSD
AG
quote:
Avoid everything from California in 2011 like the plague

I was all like wtf???

quote:
unless you're willing to spend more than $45/bottle.

And then I read this. It's true. The good winemakers knew how to work this difficult vintage (cut canopies, dropped fruit, timed harvest correctly). The Myriad Dr Crane cab that I tasted was phenomenal, as was the Pott "her majesty's secret service" cab. I'm afraid what the larger wineries have done with their fruit!
BSD
AG
Last night we enjoyed the 2009 Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cabernet at dinner. We typically don't kill babies but were at a restaurant so we older vintages weren't available. It was young but delicious!!!
BSD
AG
We just finished a 2006 Carter "Coliseum Block" cab from an area known as Soda Canyon in SE Napa. This was a big wine that I thoroughly enjoyed. Now for a beer and I think I'll crash early tonight.
cecil77
AG
BSD, I'd really be interested in your recommendations for our Napa trip!
bularry
Htown,

can you expand a bit? are you talking Napa? Central Coast? Sonoma Coast? where?

I'm a Sonoma/Pinot guy and I haven't heard anything bad on that vintage (RRV and Anderson Valley Pinot and Chardonnay)

thanks
HTownAg98
Specifically, Russian River Valley. Some growers got their grapes in before the rain, but they didn't get ripe.

Put it this way: I haven't heard a single good thing about 2011.
HTownAg98
Last night's was the new release of Bressan No3, the 2003. It's got a lot of mature flavors because of its age, but the Pinot noir brightens it up. It is quite earthy and minerally, and a super long finish. A great lasagna wine. Decant for at least an hour. It needs a lot of air, but you have to be gentle with it because of its age. Most anyone that pours a glass straight from the bottle and drinks it immediately will not like it. Given some time, it evolves very, very well. Its good now, but it could easily go another 10-15 years. 92 points. Schioppettino, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Pinot Nero (Pinot Noir).
cecil77
AG
Sound interesting. Where could I perhaps find it?
Jaydoug
AG
Italian wines
HTownAg98
If you're in Austin, I can put you in touch with someone who distributes it. I got it after a distributor brought it up after I had it at a restaurant. She sent some to my wine store I buy from.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, I'd really be interested in your recommendations for our Napa trip!

Man, I'm jealous! It's always a good time when in wine country. I'm on vacation for a little while longer but I'll come up with some thoughts when I get back. Not much has changed from my past recommendations, though, so check those out first. I'd add a walk-in visit to Bello Wines in St Helena since Aaron Pott is the winemaker there.
cecil77
AG
Like I could find that in this thread!
BSD
AG
You have three stars...use them!!!

From another thread about Sonoma and Napa.

OK, here are some more thoughts:

The Sonoma post was geared towards your friends’ tastes with pinots and syrah.  Those wineries are pretty darn good and they should be very pleased with the quality, experience, and scenery.  You’ll score points with them and it return, it’s time to get selfish and taste what Napa excels at…cabernet sauvignon.

As we all know, Highway 29 wineries can get touristy and you said you wanted to stay away from that but there are still some hidden gyms along the road, so I’ll discuss those first.

- One of my favorites is Karl Lawrence in St Helena (right in front of Dr. Crane vineyard).  They do one Napa cabernet, a blend, and a few single vineyard designates.  Having said this, they will be ceasing operations at some point in the future so you need to get there while you can! (and I need to order more)

-Alpha Omega can get crowded but they make some pretty good wines.  It is one of the few “clubs” that I belong to.  If you have a break in the day, swing by there as it is a drop-in winery.  Be sure to ask for the ERA, Stagecoach, and To Kalons which are behind the counter and that will make the stop very worthwhile. 

-Bello just opened up a tasting room in St Helena, right off the highway.  Aaron Pott is the winemaker, and as I’ve mentioned before, he has a lot of my respect for what we can do with a grape.  The tasting room is almost like a club…very swanky.  I can see this being a touristy place, but it is good wine.  You can drop in here or possibly schedule a private tasting. 

A few more on the valley floor:
Wolf Family
Crocker & Starr
Envy – a custom crush facility in Calistoga, do the Carter tasting and ask if there are any Myriad or Quivet wines open. Across the street is an Old Faithful Geyser. I have a 4 yr old so it's cool!

OK, so let’s move to the hills.  So my employer thinks I am actually working today, I must be brief:

Howell Mountain:
Outpost - sure you can get it sometimes at Costco but not all the wines are available here…and the experience and views are awesome.
Lamborn – appt only, you meet with the owner at his house (which is next to vineyards)
Summit Lake – next door to Lamborn

Spring Mountain:
Behrens and Hitchcock (and Relic) – great wines, unique setting.  A must stop.  Be sure to schedule a back to back tasting of Relics wines, which your group will like.
Pride – good tours, good wines, good views
Barnett – good wines and the tasting room manager, Jackie, is an Ag…a very good looking one at that.
Vineyard 7&8 – pricey, but very good and personal
Trespass (near the bottom, a good cab franc)
Smith madrone
Keenan

Also, if you are in Stag’s Leap area, check out Quixote. 

If I think of more, I’ll add them. 

13wins
AG
BSD and I could be friends.
bularry
htownAg,

I've got some '11 RRV. I'll let you know. if they didn't get ripe, definitely be a "burgundy style" ha
13wins
AG
Some of you may have seen this, but I find this chart interesting. It's slightly changed the way I cellar wine.

Wine Enthusiast Vintage Chart...

http://www.winemag.com/PDFs/Vintage_Chart_2013.pdf
Jaydoug
AG
I was given an '86 Medoc several years ago. I don't know how it was kept before I received it. Afraid to open it honestly, it might be real darn good!
HTownAg98
quote:
htownAg,

I've got some '11 RRV. I'll let you know. if they didn't get ripe, definitely be a "burgundy style" ha

It depends who made it. The vintners that sorted heavily and got rid of underripe fruit will still make good wines. The ones that didn't are going to have thin astringent wines.
BSD
AG
Tonight's bottle as we watch the sunset over the Pacific is a 2005 Karl Lawrence Reserve Cabernet from the Herb Lamb vineyard on the bottom of Howell Mountain (right before where the appellation starts). Life is good.
BSD
AG
And we've moved on to a 2007 Bucella Cab from Napa.
porchdawg
AG
Tonight's fare is simple - bone-in ribeye's grilled lovingly over oak charcoal, steamed fresh broccoli and a bottle of 2010 Booker Oublie. The Oublie is drinking fabulously!
BSD
AG
Just started decanting an '05 Realm Dr Crane Vineyard Cab. Of course I took a few early sips and wow! This wine has a nice mineral note on it and some delicious black fruits. It's always been a favorite of mine and I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy it again. Life is very good.
t_engler2001
AG
2009 Yates Family Fleur de Veeder Merlot before supper and a Keenan 2008 Syrah with BBQ. Keenan was straight forward with a ton of fruit. Not complex, but flavorful and smooth.
t_engler2001
AG
Dp

[This message has been edited by T_engler2001 (edited 5/18/2013 8:06p).]
BSD
AG
We enjoyed a 2007 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett Reisling with a spicy Asian dinner tonight.
HTownAg98
I got to try a 2009 Dunn and a 2008 Maybach Materium yesterday. The Dunn is still a baby, and is showing how well that 2009 vintage is going to age, as opposed to the 2007 vintage.
BSD
AG
HTown, I bought a split of the 2009 Maybach Materium to try out (aging the 750's), and wow!!! That is one of the better wines out of Napa. It isnt cheap, but it blows away wines that are twice the price.

Never had the Dunn
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just got back from Napa and brought back 4 cases of wine including a case from Caymus that includes 3 bottles of special selection cab.
HTownAg98
I got to try a Sanguis 1/1 2010 today. It might be the best Syrah I've ever had, and Penfolds RWT was my favorite before that.

I busted up the bottom end of my J Winery Nicole's Vineyard Pinot Noir and drank the 2007 today. It was still really awesome, but at 6 years old, it wasn't going to get any better, and would possibly start going downhill.
BSD
AG
Tonight with dinner is one of my favorite wines from one of my favorite wineries, the 2007 Myriad Dr Crane Cab Sauv.

BigAg95
AG
Had an anniversary dinner at home last night. Had a cheese plate and a bottle of veuve to start, then a dry aged ribeye with japanese sweet potatoes roasted in duck fat and rosemary and a beautiful 2010 Rombauer Zin for the main course.
cecil77
AG
For the price Rombauer makes some really nice wines!
aggielostinETX
AG
David Arthur Meritage....
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 303

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.