Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,266 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got my Turley also. And an assorted case of Behren's, a case of Realm, and some Quivet Syrah.

It's like Christmas here.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rononeill
burned through a couple bottles of '07 Capanna Brunello with dinner and a bottle of '11 Frank Family Pinot Noir for a night cap last night. was actually a pretty amazing meal. smoked a strip loin a la Levi Goode's guidance, bacon/raisin brussel sprouts, with mrs. rononeill's 30 clove garlic mashed potatoes. then our guests showed up with a couple apple and berry pies - just so happened to have a bucket of blue bell to grace them with.

Elmo Lincoln
AG
Had a bottled of 2011 Orin Swift Palermo tonight. Popped and poured. Simply delicious. It's great now and it'll get even better with a few years under its belt. 10% off of 6 bottles at Central Market put it at $36. Highly recommend it for now or to sit on for a few years. Orin Swift flat out delivers.
cecil77
AG
Which HEB? I've not seen that in Boerne or McAllen. Will try Leon Springs. I think today is the last day!

And slight clarification. It's 10% off a bottle of any Napa wine. Plus the standard 10% for six or more. And the six can be mixed. You can get the additional 10% off a $150 bottle buy throwing in five $10 bottles.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 4/9/2013 7:51a).]
Elmo Lincoln
AG
I'll have to double check my receipt, but I don't think the Fort Worth Central Market was participating in the 10% off Napa deal. I just referenced the usual 10% off six bottles.
YouBet
AG
I would like to retract my statement about Abstract being better than The Prisoner. We opened an Abstract couple nights ago. Very average. Can't recall year but it must have been whatever is currently selling. Probably 2011.

[This message has been edited by YouBet (edited 4/9/2013 10:11p).]
cecil77
AG
It's somewhat of a crapshoot of course, but knowing how long to hold on to a bottle is crucial I think. That 2011 Abstract may be great 2 or 4 or 6 years from now - or not.

I had a 2006 Meritus from Fall Creek the other night. Easily the best Texas wine I've ever had. Nice tannins, good fruit, substantial body - just very enjoyable.
YouBet
AG
Agreed. Our problem is impatience with holding onto wine though. We only have 2-3 bottles we are sitting on. Everything else gets drunk immediately.

Fall Creek: we have a bottle of Granite Reserve Cab Sauv. No year on it but its no older than 2006. I never had high hopes for it which is why we haven't drunk it yet. We are Texas wine homers though. If you can find the 2010 McPherson Roussanne Reserve its pretty fantastic and im not a big white drinker. Make sure you get the Reserve though.
13wins
AG
This was our last haul from Napa/Sonoma back in Feburary!

Bella - Two Patch Zinfandel 2009
Bennett Lane - Reserve Chardonnay 2009
Bennett Lane - Maximus Red Feasting Wine 2008
Bennett Lane - Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Clos Du Val - Winemaker's Signature Series Primitivo 2010
Cosentino - Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Dutcher Crossing - Proprietor's Reserve Petit Sirah 2009
Dutcher Crossing - Costello Vineyard Chardonnay 2011
Etude - GBR (Grace Benoist Ranch Red) 2008
Flora Springs - Sangiovese 2010
Jon Nathaniel Cellars - Bodacious Red 2009
Plumpjack - Syrah 2010
Seghesio - Cortina Zin 2010
Seghesio - Block 8 San Lorenzo Zin 2011
Seghesio - Alta Vineyard Nonno's Rosso 2010
Seghesio - Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Seghesio - Marian's Reserve 2010
Seghesio - Quindici 2009
Sequoia Grove - Napa Valley Cab 2009
Sequoia Grove - Rebellious Red 2010
Silver Oak - Alexander Valley Cab 2005
Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - FAY Golden Rectangle non vintage
Stonestreet - Bear Point Cab 2009
Stonestreet - Legacy 2008
Stryker Sonoma - Rockpile Vineyard Merlot 2009
Stryker Sonoma - Zinfanel Estate East Block 2010
Trefethen - Pinot Noir 2010
Trefethen - Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Trefethen - Cab Sauv Hungarian Oak Aged 2009
Trefethen - Cab Sauv Reserve 2009
dermdoc
AG
Drinking a 2009 Behrens "Another Roadside Attraction". Really like their wines and labels.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cecil77
AG
Wine Depletion Event at the home of 13wins.

Who's with me?
13wins
AG
All are welcome!
BSD
AG
quote:
All are welcome!

Famous last words...
BSD
AG
For the first time in well over a year, I bought some wine off WTSO. They had a Diamond Ridge Zin off Howell Mountain for $16 (regularly $36). While I don't know the winery, I do know the winemaker is pretty good. So good winemaker + Howell Mountain fruit = no brainer.
cecil77
AG
I bought a half case of Mirror Howell Mountain for Christmas (in the cool wooden box that's of no use) - it's 2009, when do you think I should try one?
BSD
AG
dermdoc
AG
Enjoying a 2007 Sequel Shiraz from Columbia valley before the Ag baseball game.

BTHO miss state!
HTownAg98
quote:
I bought a half case of Mirror Howell Mountain for Christmas (in the cool wooden box that's of no use) - it's 2009, when do you think I should try one?

Now. The worst that can happen is you end up with a tight wine that will be better the next day. '09 is a lot like '07, but a little cooler, and a lot of those wines were drinking well after 4-5 years. If it isn't ready yet, it will be soon.
BigAg95
AG
porchdawg -

That is interesting re: the sale of The Prisoner label. My wife and I were big fans of the 09 and 10 bottlings, but thought the 11 version was a huge letdown.

We have not noticed much as change in Saldo from year to year, but always thought it was not a great buy compared to some of the comparably priced or cheaper Seghesio and Ridge zins.

By the way, great thread, guys. Just found it. Inspired me to get on cellar tracker and do some wine shopping!
cecil77
AG
That's interesting. I think Wine Spectator gave the '10 a 90 and the '11 a 92. Haven't tried the '11 yet. It is possible that it's just not ready yet?
BigAg95
AG
Definitely not ready. We grabbed one and decanted it a while to give a taste to see if we wanted to buy some bottles to cellar.
BigAg95
AG
The grocery store in my hood has some 2007 Rutherford Hill Napa cab for ~$30. I can't find much in the way of reviews online. Is this wine worth trying? I plan to go in tomorrow and get a mixed half case (2 Rombauer zins, 2 Hess Allomi 09 cabs, and 2 TBD cabs). I like the idea of the 07 Rutherfords, because I can crack them open now with no guilt. Otherwise, I will just grab some 09 or 10 cabs that I know and squirrel them away.
cecil77
AG
Here's what wine.com had to say: http://www.wine.com/V6/Rutherford-Hill-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2007/wine/114759/detail.aspx?state=CA
BigAg95
AG
Yeah, I saw that. No rating there for the 2007, but it does look like they consistently hit around 90.
BigAg95
AG
Thanks, Cecil, I see the tiny 89 W&S rating hidden in there now!

One of the reviews says it pairs well with duck. I happen to have a duck burning a hole in my freezer. Hmmm....
cecil77
AG
For thirty buck, take a shot!
BSD
AG
I haven't tasted a Rutherford Hill wine in quite some time but I remember them as being worthwhile. Give it a shot and report back.
BigAg95
AG
Will do. Not opening it tonight, though. Will be cooking prime rib with artichoke and fingerling potatoes. Pouring either a 2006 Finca Flichman malbec blend we brought back from Argentina, or a 1982 Chateau Fourcas Hosten Haut Medoc. Leaning towards the Bordeaux, but the Mrs. is not a fan so we'll see...
YouBet
AG
Open both of them. It's not the weekend if the two of you aren't drinking at least 2 bottles on a Friday night.

Or is that just my wife and me and we are alcoholics?
BigAg95
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by BigAg95 (edited 4/19/2013 12:17p).]
BigAg95
AG
Oh, we'll drink at least two. Then I'll switch to whiskey. But the second bottle will not be one of those two!
HTownAg98
I found a great non-vintage red blend called Troublemaker by Austin Hope. An interesting blend of a couple vintages of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre, Zinfandel, and Petite Syrah. A $22 bottle that drinks like a $45 bottle.
aTm96
AG
Saw Troublemaker at that price the other day. Will have to go pick up a few bottles now
aTm96
AG
I really like and recommend Ghost Pines cab. Runs $19-$25. I've seen good things mentioned about Honig cab but haven't tried it. I love their sav blanc though
Elmo Lincoln
AG
+1 for Troublemaker. I picked up a bottle at Central Market a few weeks ago. Very good.
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.