Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,499 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
752bro4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
752bro4 said:

Quote:

Everyone loves a quick trip to Napa, but sometimes it's just too difficult to get away. Now Seven Stones and our wonderful partners at Vine Vault are bringing Napa to you. And if that wasn't enough, we are bringing some friends along as well! Check out the locations below to see which will be closest to you and then make sure you get tickets to come taste such great wines as Diamond Mountain Winery (formerly Constant), Spottswoode, Jarvis, Lerner Project and more. And of course, Seven Stones! We will have current releases to taste and perhaps a few library wines. Click on the link below that is nearest to you and reserve your spot right away! Attendance for the events will be limited. In addition, a portion of the ticket sales from each event will go to support a specific charity in your area. Learn more below!
Great tasting from several wineries via VineVault. They did a similar event at the end of 2019 that was pretty awesome. I plan on being at the Dallas one.

Austin (Link) 8/12
Dallas (Link) 8/13
Houston (Link) 8/14

edit:
Diamond Mountain Vineyard
Gamble Family Vineyards
Jarvis Estate
Larkmead
Lerner Project
Seven Stones
Spottswoode Estate
Switchback Ridge

Anyone go last night to Austin? We are going tonight.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Having a great Chardonnay from Oregon tonight. Electric! Definitely recommend trying some Chardonnay out from the region, even if you've long since sworn off the varietal.
big-ag
AG
Walter Scott makes some great Chardonnay
jh0400
AG
Any recs for the Finger Lakes? We just booked a last minute trip for Labor Day weekend?
cecil77
AG
We went August '12.

Stayed here (loved it) Geneva on the Lake

Wineries are hit and miss depending upon your tastes. Some good (and oddball) distilleries as well.

Bottom line for us: It was gorgeous, cheap, and no one was there.

HTownAg98
Chipotlemonger said:

Having a great Chardonnay from Oregon tonight. Electric! Definitely recommend trying some Chardonnay out from the region, even if you've long since sworn off the varietal.

They remind me a lot of Chablis Grand Cru. I love Oregon Chardonnay.
HTownAg98
I don't have a lot of older Paso Robles stuff, but I picked up this in March at Kukkula. Holy balls is it good. Grenache and Syrah.
Matsui
AG
Marble falls area -

Heading there for a few days. Got any recs for wineries that have a good vibe like a fun tasting or sitting area etc? Also which are the better wineries in that area? And lastly Tempranillo in the region any suggestions? I'd like to stay within 30 miles of marble falls

And yes I realize a place with a decent or fun vibe/experience doesn't mean it's outstanding wine
Matsui
AG
And Cecil where do you pour and when are you usually there?
HTownAg98
Honestly, I can't think of any. If you're in a good spot, just bring your own wine and drink it there.
ETA: Spicewood would be in your parameters, but I haven't been there in forever, so I can't attest to how their wines are.
Matsui
AG
I'll just make the trip to William Chris or Lewis, while I'm at garrison bros. 30 mins max according to google.

Maybe check out perissos?
cecil77
AG
Matsui said:

And Cecil where do you pour and when are you usually there?

Inwood Estates. In the Reserve Room every Saturday, or other days by appointment
HTownAg98
Matsui said:

I'll just make the trip to William Chris or Lewis, while I'm at garrison bros. 30 mins max according to google.

Maybe check out perissos?

Didn't realize you were willing to go that far. If you are, Calais should be priority #1.
Matsui
AG
Perfect. Thank you! I'll reach out Cecil if we stop by would be sept 11
cecil77
AG
Matsui said:

Perfect. Thank you! I'll reach out Cecil if we stop by would be sept 11

Just give me a few days notice, and I'll be there!

As to Tempranillo, you may know that Dan Gatlin brought Tempranillo to west Texas 21 years ago - he's the Father of Texas Tempranillo.

When you stop buy I'll get you a taste of 2017 Colos (to be released around Thanksgiving). It may well be the best Tempranillo you've ever tasted. From anywhere. Any vintage. Seriously.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

If you are, Calais should be priority #1.
HTownAg98
Hush. You're another 20 minutes away.

But yes, if you're willing to drive more, Inwood should be visited too.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Maybe the way you drive...

Seriously, Google shows 10 minutes further...
Matsui
AG
Great info. Thanks sir!
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Maybe the way you drive...

Seriously, Google shows 10 minutes further...

Yeah, I had a car like that once.....
HTownAg98
I guess it just feels like 20 minutes as I'm the one responsible for herding everyone.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Having a domestic Sangiovese from Reeve out of Sonoma county. One of my favorite Sonora wineries.
jh0400
AG
Benessere does several good Sangiovese-based wines. It may be my favorite varietal overall.
htxag09
AG
Had a tablas creek cotes de tablas with dinner tonight. Really need to get more into their wines and eventually take a trip out there.
houag80
AG
Went there about 4 years ago. It's a great place with knowledgeable tasting staff. Hit Daou as well if you have time.
Matsui
AG
Are you pouring on Friday sept 10?
cecil77
AG
Matsui said:

Are you pouring on Friday sept 10?
I'm only scheduled on Saturdays, but if you'll let me know I can be there that Friday!

Cecil
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

They remind me a lot of Chablis Grand Cru. I love Oregon Chardonnay.
I don't get much Chablis, but there are some very good ones. I don't drink it much anymore as I've gravitated to Sonoma Coast and Sta Rita Hills for most of my chard now.

My plan is to drink more white Burgundy in the near future.
Matsui
AG
Sounds great. I'll reply on this forum next week or you can send me your email address on here I'll reach out. Looking forward to it
Chipotlemonger
AG
There really is a plethora of great domestic Chardonnays out there for us.
bularry
Chipotlemonger said:

There really is a plethora of great domestic Chardonnays out there for us.
there is, I agree.... somewhat underrated IMO
Tex117
AG
Swearing off chardonnay is just a sign that a person has no idea how different regions and styles can greatly effect expressions of varietals.

If a person likes white wine, they can find SOME chardonnay that will work for them.
jh0400
AG
jh0400 said:

Any recommendations for must visit wineries in Dry Creek or Lake County? I'm going to try to get a reservation at French Laundry for my 40th and would like to explore some of the northern wineries while we're there.

Struck out on reservations (on the waitlist but not holding out hope), so now I need a new trip. It's not necessary that it be wine-related, but I'm posting here anyway. Things that are off-limits due to pending or recent trips:

Asheville, NC
Las Vegas
Maui
NYC
Portland, ME
Portland, OR
Big Bend
New Orleans

big-ag
AG
Lots of great Pinot and Chardonnay just south of Portland OR.
BigAg95
AG
jh0400 said:

jh0400 said:

Any recommendations for must visit wineries in Dry Creek or Lake County? I'm going to try to get a reservation at French Laundry for my 40th and would like to explore some of the northern wineries while we're there.

Struck out on reservations (on the waitlist but not holding out hope), so now I need a new trip. It's not necessary that it be wine-related, but I'm posting here anyway. Things that are off-limits due to pending or recent trips:

Asheville, NC
Las Vegas
Maui
NYC
Portland, ME
Portland, OR
Big Bend
New Orleans

We had the exact same scenario in 2019 - planned to go to Napa for our anniversary mainly to go to FL, but couldn't get a reservation. We ended up going to Paso Robles instead and had two fantastic dinners and lots of great wine tastings.
First Page Last Page
Page 236 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.