Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,969 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
AlexSAWineguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are Pott wines mailing list only?
BSD
AG
Mostly. A few retailers get a small amount every year. 750wines.com and bpwine.com have a few bottles of the '10s for sale right now.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
Had a bottle of 2005 Dominus last night. Really, really good.

aggiejumper
AG
Has anyone tried Boyanci red wines? I won a silent auction with a bottle of their Red Blend and a bottle of their InSpire in the lot and have no idea what to expect.
BSD
AG
The Realm tasting tonight was excellent!

notheranymore
Mauritson club shipment arriving Friday. We're new to cellaring so I don't know if we'll be able to keep them all on their sides for years to come. may need to sample!
cecil77
AG
HEB has Silver Oak Alexander Valley for $50 for six or more, and the six can be mixed of anything. Picked up a couple of bottles of the 2008, which is pretty good. Lowest price I've seen for it.
hbc07
AG
i tasted a selection of 2010 georges lignier burgundies tonight... considering buying a up to a case of the chambolle-musigny
BSD
AG
Do it, HBC.

We had a 2005 Realm To Kalon Cabernet to celebrate a productive week at work for the two of us.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
BSD, opened a 2005 Staglin Family Vineyard Estate Cabernet last night...whoa nelly was it drinking. In your face style for sure, but drop dead delicious.
BSD
AG
Sounds like my kind of wine!
RangerRick9211
AG
Shameless wine related plug. Just got word from one of my best friends that he got his invite to sit the Master Sommelier exam. If he can pass it on his first round he would become one of, if not, the youngest Master Sommelier at the age of 25.

Great news for me as my wine exposure greatly increases every time he gears up for a competition or exam. He would also bump Houston up to 3 total Master Somms and 8 total for the state of Texas.
notheranymore
cecil77
AG
That's very, very impressive!

I am so jealous...
BSD
AG
That has to be the best job in the world!

There is an Aggie Master Sommelier in Austin, class of '98 I think.
BSD
AG
It'll be hard to hide this bill from the wife...this week's order was Scarecrow and Continuum.
cecil77
aggiejumper
AG
BSD, how long did it take to get invited to order from Scarecrow? I'm on the waiting list but have no idea how many years I'll be waiting.
BSD
AG
My first vintage of Scarecrow was the 2005, so I'm guessing I bought that in 2008. I don't have a record of when I signed up but imagine it was a year or so before that. I signed my wife up in 2010 and we were offered in 2012. I offered it out on here but there were no takers!
cecil77
AG
For the life of me I can't imagine why...

BSD
AG
Damn, that recession has hit us all pretty hard!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 3/22/2013 8:38p).]
cecil77
AG
I still want you to adopt me...
BSD
AG
Cecil, it would be tough to explain to my young son that he has a new alcoholic brother who is older than daddy.
aggiespartan
AG
I made a decent purchase today:

Owen Roe Cab Franc 2009
Fontsainte Corbieres Demoise Ferrandi Canavese Rosso
Cuvee Vatican CDRV 10
Serol Cote Roanaisse Millerands 10
Southard Red 10
Amizade Mecia 10
Caprilli Rosso Di Montalcino 10
Caprilli Brunello di Montalcino 05
rononeill
Was that through k&l? I've got a few '07 cuvee du vatican chateauneuf's I'm waiting for a reason to get into... We've found some great deals through k&l over the last few years-
aggiespartan
AG
I don't know what k&l is, but I'm in Portland. We have a wine guy here that is pretty good. All of these, except for the Caprillis are ones that he picked out for me.
BSD
AG
I'm a big fan of Brunellos (and Rosso's). I'm hoping to visit Montalcino when we go to Italy next spring.
BSD
AG
I just popped opened a 2008 M. Etain. It'll be a short decant and then down the hatch!
aggiespartan
AG
The guys from Caprelli were at the tasting we went to Monday night. They seem like a really nice family.
MW03
AG
just a PSA... I don't know if this is for Tom Thumbs across the state, but if you are in Dallas, the Tom Thumb at University and Inwood is running 30% off all their wine, and 10% off 6 packs. This pic isn't to show off the Switzer, but rather the prices on the Silver Oak and the Caymus....

BSD
AG
Wow, it looks like they doubled the prices before they took off 30% on those! $95 for Silver Oak Alexander Valley is a joke.
BSD
AG
(but thanks for the heads up)
MW03
rononeill
its not a bad deal for daily drinkers, but for good stuff, its a scam. i got tricked into Randalls for the first time in 3 years by this ad program. was able to find Sterling Vintner Chard for <8 and Santa Christina Toscana for <10. other than than, the sale matched HEB or Spec's regular prices.
rononeill
BSD - we toured a couple in Montalcino a few years ago. plan ahead for sure as its isnt at all like napa.

we hit Casanova Di Neri and Poggio Antica. While they were both beautiful, the experience at CdN was amazing. We had a big group so we may have gotten a different treatment. It was a fairly typical tour, but after the tour, they set us up in this dining room cut into the side of the hill overlooking their vineyards and the surrounding valley. the snack spread was incredible - olives, cured meats, olive oil soaked bread - ohmygod, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. then the wine, they probably had 7 or 8 different bottles we worked through, then they let us revisit our favorites until they were gone. if there were 30 of us, there were probably 25 bottles opened. FYI - their olive oil was incredible and comparatively very cheap - like 7 euros for a half litre. I dont think you could get into a Rosso for less than 50eu.

we were there for a wedding and one of our wine nerd friends did the research and made the reservations through one of his brokers -

First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.