Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,354 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
big-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hit a case plus a Magnum. I'm out.
BigAg95
AG
Ha, I did the same and said the same. And then the Rotie popped up.... and then the Linne Calodo. SO now I am at 2 cases plus a magnum plus 7 bottles... I think I need 5 more!
mek94
AG
We were out drinking wine with the neighbors. Apparently I missed out on some good stuff.
mek94
AG
FTAco07
AG
Who has been buying the de Ngoce wines? Has anybody opened any of the early shipments yet to offer a review?

I got in on the much hyped no 40 today and have numbers 2, 42, and 40 on order. A little internet search looks like no. 2 is a Miner Stagecoach and no. 40 may be from Constant which I'm really excited about.

Lots of wine will need to be drank come October. If anyone else in DFW has ordered others I could be up for trading a few bottles to try other releases.
JCA1
AG
I've bought several cases of the de Negoce, including all 3 early stagecoach wines. I've opened a couple. Very solid, but nothing earth shattering. Of course, that's probably not fair at this point considering their youth and bottle shock. But that's my 2 cents.
FTAco07
AG
Good to hear. I'm definitely not expecting earth shattering given the +/- $20 price point. I'm generally thinking of these as major upgrades to my "everyday" wines that I would otherwise buy at Kroger or Total Wine. I don't normally buy by the case so it will be fun to open a couple early and then see how they evolve as they mature over the next few years
mek94
AG
We've tried both the Stagecoach cab franc and merlot. Both improve greatly with a good decant. The cab franc is really good and will get better with some age. The merlot is good but really dry. Have three other cases coming in October, a cab, pinot and zin. Would have loved to have jumped on today's offer, but with the October shipments and the Last Bottle marathon orders coming I will be running out of storage space.
CMP-00-
AG
I'm in pretty deep on de Negoce wines - splitting numerous cases with family. I really like the idea of being able to try a bunch of different Napa appellations and styles at great prices. I think the internet wine community has honed-in on a fair number of the source wineries within a couple of candidate options and there's a lot to be optimistic about with the likely choices. At worst, I figure I'm getting stuff that's better than local grocery store options at better prices , to boot. The breadth of source vineyards really mitigates the risk of purchasing a bunch of cases. I've already tried to warn my wife about what's coming in October
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
752bro4
AG
This weekend was my wife's 40th, so we celebrated Thurs-Sun.

2012 Mondavi Reserve - this was the first "nice" bottle of wine I ever purchased and the first winery we ever visited. It got better as it set, but overall disappointed in the bottle for the price ($125 in 2016)

2011 J. Schram Rose - I only had a small glass, but enjoyed it thoroughly. We are members here and we have a few other similar bottles that we'll probably open over the next year or so.

Showstopper, no surprise - 2014 Scarecrow, I decanted it for 2 hours and we nursed this for 3-4 hours Saturday evening while we had some appetizers before dinner (see below). This was hands down the best wine I have ever had. Very, very dry and such a smooth finish.

Appetizers before dinner - Crowd Cow A5 Waygu filet and strip. Sea salt and about 60 seconds sear per side. Fantastic and lived up to the hype.

For any of you bourbon guys - this bottle only gets opened on very special occasions. This is my now 3rd pour from it, and it's better than every other bourbon I've had with the exception of Blanton's Gold.
BSD
AG
Nice! My wife has a big birthday next year. I have a feeling it'll be a multi day event like you guys did!
BSD
AG
Just ordered some Realm 2018 Bard. Got offered everything except Absurd, which I have passed on several times recently so I wasn't too concerned.
cecil77
AG
Tempted to get my one bottle of Falstaff, but have sworn off Realm.
ILikeTacos
AG
I am going to order a few bottles of Bard for christmas presents, but I don't know how much more I will order...
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

Oh yeah. I forgot about that incident. I just wish you could have been there to get a taste of the glass of 1996 Krug some random guy poured me!
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

cecil77 said:

Oh yeah. I forgot about that incident. I just wish you could have been there to get a taste of the glass of 1996 Krug some random guy poured me!

LOL. This Krug (repeat pic from a couple pages back) is 96-98 grapes according to the code on the cork.

And I have two more bottles if you're ever in the area.

swc-ag
AG
Heading to Fredericksburg this weekend. Suggestions?
Austintm
cecil77 said:

I have never been able to get into their blends. The single-vineyard Beckstoffer To Kalon, Beckstoffer Dr. Crane and Houyi, on the other hand, are very good IMO
cecil77
AG
swc-ag said:

I think I can think of something...
JCA1
AG
Austintm said:

cecil77 said:

I have never been able to get into their blends. The single-vineyard Beckstoffer To Kalon, Beckstoffer Dr. Crane and Houyi, on the other hand, are very good IMO

I bought some for the first time last year mainly on reputation. I've since had one of my 2017 Bards and an old Falstaff a buddy picked up. I don't know what to think. The best description we could think of for the old Falstaff was "pool floaties." Just had a pronounced, plastic/rubber flavor. The 2017 Bard was all blue fruit to me, and I was not overly impressed.

Considering a just got back from Napa and went way over budget, I'm probably gonna sit Realm out.
cecil77
AG
That Falstaff sounds flawed. If it was a "band-aid" rubbery smell, that may have been Brett.

2015 Falstaff has been my favorite Realm wine. Nicely floral, rich fruit, and the Cab Franc spicy finish I really like.

Their cabs are good, but really typical Napa, over extracted and murdered with oak. Can't throw a rock in Napa and not hit a similar wine.
Austintm
JCA1 said:

Austintm said:

cecil77 said:

I bought some for the first time last year mainly on reputation. I've since had one of my 2017 Bards and an old Falstaff a buddy picked up. I don't know what to think. The best description we could think of for the old Falstaff was "pool floaties." Just had a pronounced, plastic/rubber flavor. The 2017 Bard was all blue fruit to me, and I was not overly impressed.

Considering a just got back from Napa and went way over budget, I'm probably gonna sit Realm out.
Again, skip the blends and go with the single vineyard.
Austintm
cecil77 said:

That Falstaff sounds flawed. If it was a "band-aid" rubbery smell, that may have been Brett.

2015 Falstaff has been my favorite Realm wine. Nicely floral, rich fruit, and the Cab Franc spicy finish I really like.

Their cabs are good, but really typical Napa, over extracted and murdered with oak. Can't throw a rock in Napa and not hit a similar wine.
I don't find the single vineyard over extracted. But I agree there are much better Napa cabs for the price. Piper, Pott, Vine Hill Ranch, Arkenstone, Corra, Spottswoode, Vineyardist, Perliss, Memento Mori.... Happy to list more
cecil77
AG
swc-ag said:

As of just now, Inwood Estates is OPEN! (yay)
All services available, including tastings both in the Bistro and Reserve Room. If you'd like to sit and enjoy a glass or bottle of wine in the Bistro, you will have to place a food order.

Can't wait to see you there!!
HTownAg98
Pick up these three today:
one MEEN Ag
AG
Anyone got any basic recommendations for $20-$30 wines for non special occasions? Just want a good malbec or cabernet sauvignon. Tired to striking out by reading labels and asking associates at specs/total wine.

In the 30-40 dollar range I really like Chianti Classico and know how to pick apart the labels and grape, but I can't be buying that just for normal enjoyment with a casual weekend dinner.
aggiecive
AG
I usually go with St. Emilion and Rioja's when I am trying for this price point. I try different things to see what I like best at the price point.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'll 2nd the Rioja rec. Can get some great Spanish wine in that range. Arrowood Cabernet if you're looking to stay with domestic cab.

I'd also add to look for red blends in that price range if you're into them at all. That's a good sweet spot for them. Really enjoyed a Ridge blend I had around that price.
JCA1
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Anyone got any basic recommendations for $20-$30 wines for non special occasions? Just want a good malbec or cabernet sauvignon. Tired to striking out by reading labels and asking associates at specs/total wine.

In the 30-40 dollar range I really like Chianti Classico and know how to pick apart the labels and grape, but I can't be buying that just for normal enjoyment with a casual weekend dinner.

For high $20 cab, I think the Hess Allomi is pretty solid.

I know a lot of people are high on Educated Guess.
jh0400
AG
I really like Barbera d'Alba/Asti or Rosso di Montalcino in the $20-30 range. If you like Chianti Classico you should like Rosso di Montalcino.
HTownAg98

My wife's comment summed up it perfectly. "Sometimes you're reminded that there are wines that aren't just wine."
HTownAg98
one MEEN Ag said:

Chappellet Mountain Cuvee
The Paring
Routestock 29
Logan Farrell

There are some Cote du Rhone wines in that price range that are really good. A lot of it is declassified Chateauneuf du Pape that are some outstanding wines for the price. Codulet de Beaucastel and Clos du Caillou Garrigues fit that bill.
GBMont3
AG
Linne Calodo - been on the mailing list for a couple of years, but am always extremely indecisive about what to buy, to the point that I just haven't pulled the trigger the last offering or two.

What do you like most out of the fall lineup and why?
HTownAg98
I like all of them, but then I like a lot of gsm-and other things wines. If I was told I couldn't buy one of the fall wines, it would be the In My Dreams. It always takes 2-3 to really come around because of the Tempranillo.

I think one of the problems that people have with these wines is that they need at least a year's worth of cellaring on release before they start coming into their own. The one exception would be the Cherry Red. On release, a lot of the wines are overly floral and disjointed. But give them a couple years in the cellar, and they start to shine.
BSD
AG
Anyone on the Ultramarine list willing to share?
First Page Last Page
Page 218 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.