Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,282,863 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aslo a great night. Celebrating 33 years...

BullSprig07
AG
Wow! Super line up all the way through, but that 73 Monte Bello is what really grabs my attention.
JCA1
AG
I'm assuming the bottle wrapped in aluminum foil is Reynolds?

I'll see myself out.
Jono85
AG
Monte Bello had us all excited but it didn't hold up. It was a low fill to begin with & probably wasn't stored right at sometime.

The White Burgundy Roulot was the wine of the night.
Jono85
AG
It was a 2005 Spottswood that we did blind.
BigAg95
AG
Jono85 said:

It was a 2005 Spottswood that we did blind.

How was it?
BigAg95
AG
Our lake house family vacation wines so far, with our crowd of 6 Wine drinkers who all like very different things::

2017 Justin Justification - quite good, everyone enjoyed, but not great QPR
2016 Field Recordings Fiction - universally liked
2017 - Muschen super Tuscan - fantastic, great QPR
2015 - Herold Collide - peppery, good for Malbec or zin fans
Jono85
AG
The wine was in great shape and showed very well against all those other wines.

It would drink that vintage now. I like dont like NEW World with New world winemaking after 15 years
MW03
AG
Quick plug for Austin Hope, which I think is one of the very best wines under $100 on the planet.
Austintm
MW03 said:

Quick plug for Austin Hope, which I think is one of the very best wines under $100 on the planet.

Agree it's a good wine under $50 (you can get it for $45 at TW). I think it doesn't hold up as well compared to wines at the higher end of the $50-100 range. They have also really cranked up production of their wines where they are now a large production shop, so I hope they manage to keep up the quality.
HTownAg98
I've had it a couple of times recently. It's always come across as way over-extracted and over-oaked. Personally, I think there's better juice out there for the price. But to each their own.
greenband
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I've had it a couple of times recently. It's always come across as way over-extracted and over-oaked. Personally, I think there's better juice out there for the price. But to each their own.

Has high residual sugar - much like Caymus, Prisoner, and Quilt. If you like Austin Hope you will probably like those 3 as well.
cecil77
AG
Did anyone bookmark that really cool site (out of Canada, I think) that showed actual RS for many wines?

Found it. Thanks to greenband for posting it. Page 198 of this thread.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/caymus-cabernet-sauvignon-222877#.X0K_bshKiiM

And, at least some of that style wine is actually "added sugar" as well as the more authentic "residual sugar".

From that site:

Prisoner 8g/L
Caymus 9 g/L
Austin Hope 11 g/L

Chateau Montelena (both the estate version and regular version) 2g/L
Freemark Abbey 5g/L

Ch Pape Clement 2g/L

It's pretty interesting to randomly look stuff up. Cool site.
Bruce Almighty
AG
A little "the night before school and the fight with 13 year olds about wearing masks" celebration.

Austintm
greenband said:

HTownAg98 said:

Has high residual sugar - much like Caymus, Prisoner, and Quilt. If you like Austin Hope you will probably like those 3 as well.
Makes sense because Hope worked with Wagner, so the over-extracted, sugary wine fits.
I was trying to be nice about the wine. I have tried it a couple of times and won't drink it.
BSD
AG
Big week coming up: 2018 Pott (Napa) and Detert East Block cab Franc. The Pott is a wine we'll serve at a big party next year so I'm going long on that one (2 cases). Realm is then on deck with William & Mary not far behind.
cecil77
AG
There's a reason why there are thousands of wines made. Tastes vary widely. If you like Austin Hope - then that's great! And thanks for sharing your preference - that's what wine discussion and wine friends are all about.
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

Big week coming up: 2018 Pott (Napa) and Detert East Block cab Franc. The Pott is a wine we'll serve at a big party next year so I'm going long on that one (2 cases). Realm is then on deck with William & Mary not far behind.

Tasted the East Block with Tom last Thursday. Clearly young, but quite tasty. And he's a super nice guy.
MW03
AG
cecil77 said:

There's a reason why there are thousands of wines made. Tastes vary widely. If you like Austin Hope - then that's great! And thanks for sharing your preference - that's what wine discussion and wine friends are all about.

I was at a steakhouse one time and I watched a lady in her 70s at a nearby table open a splenda and pour it in a glass of red wine. She must have noticed my face, because she leaned over, laughed, and said, "Honey, when you get to be as old as I am, you're going to drink it how you like it." I was a little embarrassed that I had reacted so obviously, but we shared a good laugh over it.

That lady knowing what she likes and doing her own things has always kind of stuck with me, so I figure to each their own. I don't intend to pour spenda in any wines any time soon, but I do try to focus on what I like with the expectation that it'll change and evolve over the years, just like it has with beer and whiskey. I just happen to be a wine neophyte, ha.

That being said, I do like Austin Hope, Prisoner, and Caymus. I have not tried Quilt, so I will definitely look that one up.
MooreTrucker
AG
Speaking of drinking what you like, I heard an interesting topic on a podcast today about pairings. She said there are the two schools - traditional "red with meat, white with fish", and the new school "drink what you like, rules be damned". She's more in the middle because the traditional rules are too strict, but the new school "rule" is just dumb. An example she used was drinking a bold tannic red with spicy Mexican food. The tannins react with the spices to just be painful not tasty.

Made sense to me, but my wife likes bold red with pretty much anything.
cecil77
AG
Gotta disagree w/ her on the Mexican food. I find acid balance to be more important. And "red wine" is an awfully broad category.
cecil77
AG
In my family we at pancakes with copious butter and even more granulated, white sugar. Looked kinda like a ski slope.

I can't tell you the number of people that have ridicules that.... Until I convinced them to try it.
htxag09
AG
I always thought it was high alcohol wines that you avoid with spicy food? The higher the alcohol the more spicy the food will seem.

I'm a strong supporter of drink what you like. Everyone has different tastes, who cares what some sommelier or wine reviewer likes, or even what I like. All that matter is if you like it. I do encourage people to take what they like and expand on that, though. You like california oaky chardonnays? Awesome, maybe explore some chablis or different style chardonnay and see if you like those as well, start expanding your horizons.

For food pairings, I do believe in more "strict" rules. However, I don't really buy red for meat, white for fish. It all depends on preparation. To me, for example, the sauce can be more important than the protein for a wine pairing. I believe in "what grows together, goes together" for a more general food and wine pairing rule.
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Gotta disagree w/ her on the Mexican food. I find acid balance to be more important. And "red wine" is an awfully broad category.
That's why I mentioned "bold tannic red". But yeah, it may be high alcohol they were talking about.

Her main point, I think, is that "drink what you like" isn't very helpful for people that don't really have much experience drinking wine or don't exactly know what they like.

And I'm all about copious butter, but I prefer swimming in syrup to mounds of sugar.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Beer with spicy food, tequila with Mexican, wine with everything else. Problem solved.
BSD
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Beer with spicy food, tequila with Mexican, wine with everything else. Problem solved.

Even when I could drink, I'd typically just have water with Mexican food. I just never liked Mexican with alcohol (and I was never a tequila guy).

But with spicy Thai? Reisling all day long!
MooreTrucker
AG
Do y'all watch *****t's Creek? Hilarious show with Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara.

They had an episode that involved "fruit wines" made with fruit other than grapes. The "wine names" were things like Rioja Riesling and Cabernet Merlot Chardonnay Syrah.
cecil77
AG
Love the show! Too cheap to pay for the last season - should hit Netflix in a month or two.

MooreTrucker
AG
We've just started watching. How many seasons are there, and have they finished or is there more after the one you mentioned?
cecil77
AG
Six total, sixth is the final. It's on Pop, or whatever the Canadian network is. Netflix will have up soon, I think.

The thing that takes awhile to realize, is that for all the noise - they're a family that loves and supports each other. Great show.

The wine, not the label...
MooreTrucker
AG
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Stevie!! She is so dryly hilarious!!!
BullSprig07
AG
cecil77 said:

Six total, sixth is the final. It's on Pop, or whatever the Canadian network is. Netflix will have up soon, I think.

The thing that takes awhile to realize, is that for all the noise - they're a family that loves and supports each other. Great show.

The wine, not the label...

Can't think of a better scene to encapsulate that show
HTownAg98
htxag09 said:

I always thought it was high alcohol wines that you avoid with spicy food? The higher the alcohol the more spicy the food will seem.

I'm a strong supporter of drink what you like. Everyone has different tastes, who cares what some sommelier or wine reviewer likes, or even what I like. All that matter is if you like it. I do encourage people to take what they like and expand on that, though. You like california oaky chardonnays? Awesome, maybe explore some chablis or different style chardonnay and see if you like those as well, start expanding your horizons.

For food pairings, I do believe in more "strict" rules. However, I don't really buy red for meat, white for fish. It all depends on preparation. To me, for example, the sauce can be more important than the protein for a wine pairing. I believe in "what grows together, goes together" for a more general food and wine pairing rule.

Glad you brought up the sauce aspect, because I'm in agreement with that. We are doing a Zoom tasting this Sunday with Left Bank vs. Right Bank Bordeaux. The protein will be the same (likely a tri-tip), but the sauces are going to be different.

I'm of the "drink what you like" mind to a point, but there are some pairings that do no service to the food or the wine.
cecil77
AG
I agree, but there are people that really like different stuff. One of the wealthiest humans I've ever known (heck his name is on where the sips play basketball) put ketchup on fine steak.
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

I agree, but there are people that really like different stuff. One of the wealthiest humans I've ever known (heck his name is on where the sips play basketball) put ketchup on fine steak.
So does this year's Super Bowl MVP.
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.