Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,354 Views | 10412 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Objective Aggie
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI, Myriad ships to Texas on Monday.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well now there's a mandatory evacuation for Healdsburg and Windsor. I'm guessing in precaution to the change in weather that's supposed to happen later. Gonna be very windy.
HTownAg98
Picked this up over the weekend. It's a stupid good value for a dessert wine ($23).
cecil77
AG
Dry or sweet?
Tumble Weed
HTownAg98 said:

Picked this up over the weekend. It's a stupid good value for a dessert wine ($23).

I cook with this quite a bit! This is what I use for my version of Chicken Marsala. My wife can't drink it, as it gives her headaches.
HTownAg98
Sweet. Thick and syrupy. If you've ever had a Spanish Pedro Ximenez, it's like that but with a sherry edge to it.
HTownAg98
The dish doesn't come out too sweet? I can see using a dry Marsala, but this one seems like it would overpower the dish.
Tumble Weed
HTownAg98 said:

The dish doesn't come out too sweet? I can see using a dry Marsala, but this one seems like it would overpower the dish.
My recipe is as follows:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup onion diced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms sliced
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup Sherry
1 1/2 cups beef stock ( or veal stock if you have it)

Give it a try one night. It doesn't take any time. Saute the vegetables, add the flour, deglaze with the sherry, add the veal stock and simmer it down.

BSD
AG
SQN has arrived. I have an extra of Grenache and Syrah if anyone wants some.

notheranymore
Headed to Healdsburg the weekend before T-giving. Will definitely hit up Mauritson. Maybe Ridge and Lambert Bridge. Any others up that way we should consider?
Chipotlemonger
AG
What kind of wine are you interested in?

Yoakim Bridge out on Dry Creek makes some good bold reds.
HTownAg98
I'm glad I waited on opening the second bottle. Holy smokes this is good.

big-ag
AG
Have a 2016 LC Rising Tides that's been daring me to open it for a year.
HTownAg98
I'd hold on for another year.
greenband
AG
For those by a good Kroger it's 25% off 6 bottles or more. Great chance to load up on daily drinkers.
Cyp0111
Went to the Amizetta etc. all wine tasting in Houston last week. Really enjoyed the event and found a handful of really good wines.

I enjoyed and bought a few bottles of Cornell and Tate. The Tate-Howell Mountain Cab was our overall favorite.
notheranymore
That sounds good! I like Zin and he likes Cab.
swc-ag
AG
Give Talty a try for Zin. It is only about 10 minutes from Lambert Bridge.
752bro4
AG
Any thoughts on Italics' Terroir? I enjoyed their Cab last year and have it on the list to visit. I'm in for 3 on Casemates.

Casemates link
HTownAg98
Tonight's wine. This is a massive Syrah that can still go for another 3-4 years.
ILikeTacos
AG
I provided wine for my Sister in Law's engagement celebratory dinner this weekend. This is what we ended up opening and it was enjoyed by all!

cecil77
AG
Quote:

it was enjoyed by all!

You mean to tell me they enjoyed several thousand bucks in wine, including a $500 bottle! Who'd a thunk it...

And just how does one get on your guest list?
ILikeTacos
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

it was enjoyed by all!

You mean to tell me they enjoyed several thousand bucks in wine, including a $500 bottle! Who'd a thunk it...

Well first off you have to be getting married... Like I said celebrating an engagement, that's only supposed to happen like 3 or 4 times in one's life right???

I actually was super impressed by the Hundred Acre Ark. It drank more like a bordeaux than a heavy fruit forward Napa cab. Comparing it to the Myriad Elysian Dr. Crane which was on the sweeter fruit side, I had to rethink where my preferences would be coming into the night. I know blah blah $400 bottle of wine it better knock my socks off, but I was even more impressed with it than I have been in the past.
cecil77
AG
ILikeTacos said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

it was enjoyed by all!

Well first off you have to be getting married... Like I said celebrating an engagement, that's only supposed to happen like 3 or 4 times in one's life right???

I actually was super impressed by the Hundred Acre Ark. It drank more like a bordeaux than a heavy fruit forward Napa cab. Comparing it to the Myriad Elysian Dr. Crane which was on the sweeter fruit side, I had to rethink where my preferences would be coming into the night. I know blah blah $400 bottle of wine it better knock my socks off, but I was even more impressed with it than I have been in the past.

Pretty much where I am as well. What vintage Elysian? Mike has gotten SO extracted and (as you said) almost sweet. One well know wine maker popular in this thread told me he's only buying Elysian now (as am I, mainly just keeping a vertical) due to Mike going over the top.

Would love to try that 300 Acre.
ILikeTacos
AG
cecil77 said:

ILikeTacos said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

it was enjoyed by all!

Pretty much where I am as well. What vintage Elysian? Mike has gotten SO extracted and (as you said) almost sweet. One well know wine maker popular in this thread told me he's only buying Elysian now (as am I, mainly just keeping a vertical) due to Mike going over the top.

Would love to try that 300 Acre.
It was a 2016 Elysian.
Daytona22
AG
Great line up! Popped open a bottle of hundred acre Wraith last week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Stuff is great for a special occasion. Lucky couple you were celebrating.
752bro4
AG
VINE VAULT TEXAS TOUR

• Modus Operandi Cellars
  • Aloft / Dark Matter
  • Constant Diamond Mountain
  • Gamble Family
  • Lerner Project
  • Seavey Vineyards
  • Seven Stones
  • Skipstone
  • Spottswood Estate
  • William Cole

These are some of the most coveted wines made in Napa right now, several creating 100 point wines by legendary winemakers such as Phillipe Melka, Aaron Pott, Russell Bevan, Paul Hobbs, Angelina Mondavi, and of course... your's truly!
Dates:
  • San Antonio - Jan 14th
  • Austin - Jan 15th
  • Dallas - Jan 16th
  • Houston - Jan 17th
Cost: $125 per person

greenband
AG
752bro4 said:

VINE VAULT TEXAS TOUR

• Modus Operandi Cellars
  • Aloft / Dark Matter
  • Constant Diamond Mountain
  • Gamble Family
  • Lerner Project
  • Seavey Vineyards
  • Seven Stones
  • Skipstone
  • Spottswood Estate
  • William Cole

These are some of the most coveted wines made in Napa right now, several creating 100 point wines by legendary winemakers such as Phillipe Melka, Aaron Pott, Russell Bevan, Paul Hobbs, Angelina Mondavi, and of course... your's truly!
Dates:
  • San Antonio - Jan 14th
  • Austin - Jan 15th
  • Dallas - Jan 16th
  • Houston - Jan 17th
Cost: $125 per person

Where is the link to this? I couldn't find via the Googles.
Cyp0111
Do you have to be a wine member of one of those places ?
752bro4
AG
Trying to get a clean link to that. I got it through an email from Modus (member) and it apparently has all my info pre-filled out.

Venues:
  • San Antonio - Jan 14th (The Witte Museum - Mays Family Center)
  • Austin - Jan 15th (501 Congress Ave)
  • Dallas - Jan 16th (Fashion Industry Gallery - 1807 Ross Ave)
  • Houston - Jan 17th (The Parador - 2021 Binz Street)

edit: link to tickets
Chipotlemonger
AG
May interest some on this board. Francis Ford Coppola Winery and Becker Vineyards are partnering to release a new cab, sourced from both Texas and Sonoma vineyards. Mid-$20's.

Have any other Texas places done something like this?
FTAco07
AG
Thank you! I just bought tickets to the Dallas event!
752bro4
AG
FTAco07 said:

Thank you! I just bought tickets to the Dallas event!
Same...my wife is pissed she's out of town.
Austintm
Chipotlemonger said:

May interest some on this board. Francis Ford Coppola Winery and Becker Vineyards are partnering to release a new cab, sourced from both Texas and Sonoma vineyards. Mid-$20's.

Awesome. I need something to strip paint
MooreTrucker
AG
Austintm said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Awesome. I need something to strip paint
Wine snob.

Which don't you like, FFC or Becker?
First Page Last Page
Page 197 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.