Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,272 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pahlmeyer is great, never had the other one.

This 2007 Napa Fourteen Appellations is the schnizzett.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
Taking down a 2007 Bucella Cab Sauv and a 2005 Karl Lawrence Reserve Dr Crane Cab Sauv at dinner tonight!
BSD
AG
After dinner we were feeling like we needed some Port so we drove over to Pappas for a little indulgence!

1977 Graham's
1937 Porto kopke colheita 
Taylor Fladgate 40 year
Ramos Pinto 30 year

cecil77
AG
How is the Taylor Fladgate 40? Noticeably better than the 20? Worth the difference. I'm considering buying a 40 as a present to me!
BSD
AG
They were all pretty good. We decided we are buying a bottle of the 1937 Kopke Colheita! I say if you want to get yourself a present, do it! I don't know the price difference in the 20 ad 40 year.
cecil77
AG
40 is a bit more than three times the price

I tend to like Tawny much more, I've never had 75 year old Port either! And now I just looked up the price! Maybe after the kids are out of college...
Agustus Caesar
AG
quote:
I just added two nice red napa cabs to my cellar that I've never tried before and would like some of y'all's thoughts on them and what foods to possibly pair them with. One is an '08 Pahlmeyer cab blend and the other is a Cliff Lede poetry cab, I forget the vintage, '08 or '09 I think. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I would say what you like to eat is what you should pair with them. Napa cabs do well with nice beef, cheese, nuts, chocolate, blackberries.
cecil77
AG
Or, my favorite - air!
HTownAg98
I tried a 2008 Burgess Napa Valley Cab last night. I'm trying to decide if I want to join their club or not, and I might just go ahead and try it for a year and see how it goes. The cab was very tightly wound, with quite assertive tannins. It's a great cab for 2008, and would be even better in a year or two.
AggBock
AG
I have mostly Barolo and Barberesco in mine since I live in Italy.
coscaggie
AG
Just had a bottle of The Discussion. Prob too young but needed a good bottle. Really powerful
cecil77
AG
I opened the Amazon box without realizing it was a Christmas gift from my daughter and so-in-law.

A bottle of 2005 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes. A 97 pt Wine Spectator vintage!
cecil77
AG
Cypress Grill in Boerne has all wine at 40% off each Wednesday night. Last night we had a 2006 Heitz Cellars cab for $53, which is really, really cheap for a restaurant price. Pretty good, as well!

And they have an incredible selection of Napa wines, especially considering being in a small town.
dermdoc
AG
1999 Barola with Christmas goose at the Union Square Cafe in NYC last night.

Outstanding!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
quote:
A bottle of 2005 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes. A 97 pt Wine Spectator vintage!

Too young!!!!
coscaggie
AG
Just picked up a Roy 05 as a Christmas present for myself.
Agustus Caesar
AG
Mmm...Sauternes.
cecil77
AG
cosc, let me know how that is. Are you drinking it now-ish or cellaring.

My Christmas present to me just arrived. My first allocation purchase ever. I'll never get to BSD and Htown heights, but a guy can dream!

HTownAg98
Oh trust me, you're way, way ahead of me. I've only got ~30 bottles at home, and their average price is around $40. I just know stuff.
cecil77
AG
It's what's been down your gullet that I aspire to!
HTownAg98
Ah, well, that is only because there's a really, really good wine bar that I go to that has some awesome wines and people that are willing to share them.
coscaggie
AG
Cecil,

Thats an awesome addition.

I really want to drink but its more than likely going to the collection.

I just bought 6 bottles of Browne Family Vineyards Cab out of Washington State. I cracked one last night and really enjoyed it. Not nearly the bomb that napa cabs are but a relly enjoyable experience after it opened up.
HTownAg98
I've come to really enjoy a lot of the Washington Cabs lately. They're sort of a cross between Bordeaux and Napa, in that they have some good fruit and acid, but aren't fruit bombs. They also tend to be very balanced, and I like balance.
BSD
AG
Nice acquisitions!

Htown, Turley is supposedly making a "more Bordeaux-like" Cabernet but since their bottles don't fit anywhere, I got off their list. I'd be interested in trying it out.
coscaggie
AG
Agree 100%. I still love the fruit bomb that is a great napa cab but for everyday driking I'm starting to get into Washington State and the realitive price point.

Cecil, I enjoy howell mountain wines. How much does a bottle of Mirror go for?
cecil77
AG
With shipping it's effectively ninety bucks. The Howell Mountain was $90, but the box and freight were included. Regular Mirror Cab is $75, but shipping ups it.

I have seen Mirror Cab in HEB occasionally. In the Napa sale last June I got six at the Leon Springs HEB for $50 each after the discounts.

Washington: Anybody had Col Solare. We had a few bottles and now they're gone, so I guess they're pretty good!

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 12/20/2012 5:14p).]
dermdoc
AG
BSD, I just got a case of the Turley cab.

They are not big bottles like the zin and petite syrah.
BSD
AG
Son of a ...
Agustus Caesar
AG
Chateau Musar tonight. A Lebanese Bordeaux in honor of JFF's heritage.
Very drinkable and cost effective.
cecil77
AG
Invino.com has a 1966 Chateau Lafite Rothschild right now.

If one of you rich guys will spring for this, I'll bring the cheese and crackers!

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 12/21/2012 10:18a).]
BSD
AG
Out of curiosity, how much is it?
HTownAg98
quote:
Htown, Turley is supposedly making a "more Bordeaux-like" Cabernet but since their bottles don't fit anywhere, I got off their list. I'd be interested in trying it out.

I'll believe it when I see it. I haven't been a fan of Turley lately because of their high alcohol fruit bomb wines.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Out of curiosity, how much is it?

$600

Can't link since you have to do the free sign up on the site.
Agustus Caesar
AG
had a 66 mouton and grand puy lacoste before. neither one that drinkable.
I would purchase as a novelty if the price were around $250.
cecil77
AG
You guys are a bad influence.

HEB has a 10% off cab plus 10% more for 6+ sale.

I checked the Leon Springs store and they have nine cases of 2009 Mirror Cab for a 6+ price of $55. So I bought six bottles.

Good way to go broke, I guess!

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 12/21/2012 5:50p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.