Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,375 Views | 10412 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/bordeaux-fire-destroys-13-million-worth-of-wine-in-france/
HTownAg98
Pour one out for the homies.
TxKng82
AG
Hitting up Calais next Friday afternoon. Been a few years since I've been there but remember enjoying it. Plan on hitting Inwood the next morning/afternoon.
aggiecive
AG
I took the in-laws and kids to Inwood on Saturday and Cecil was a great host. I really liked the wines and the tasting. We will be back. If you go, make sure to let Cecil know ahead of time.
cecil77
AG
I'm glad we could sit in the winery and spend a while. Too bad the tasting room was so busy Dan couldn't spend some time with us. What a great family as well!
TP Ag '87
AG
LastBottle.com sale blast going on today and tomorrow.
ILikeTacos
AG
Went to the Jordan 2015 Cabernet Release Party at Kent Rathbun's (Dallas Chef who founded Abacus) house last night here in Dallas. I haven't been impressed with a lot of their cabs the last few years, but this stuff is legitimately good. We had a great time, and obviously the food was good.

cecil77
AG
Ok, "I went to"...?

Really cool, how'd you score the invite?

ILikeTacos
AG
cecil77 said:

Ok, "I went to"...?

Really cool, how'd you score the invite?

I don't know, Jordan Winery just emailed me and I thought it looked neat? Realm is doing something similar I think in October and I am pretty sure I will go to that too. It was fun!
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Realm is doing something similar I think in October and I am pretty sure I will go to that too.
Got that as well. I plan on going, assuming ticket availability. You doing Houston or Dallas?
htxag09
AG
Ill be going to the houston one
BSD
AG
I'll be doing the Realm tasting in Houston. They used to do this every year but it's been a while.
cecil77
AG
How about a Texags wine get together in Houston? Don't know exactly what, but at a minimum making contact at the event.
ILikeTacos
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Realm is doing something similar I think in October and I am pretty sure I will go to that too.
Got that as well. I plan on going, assuming ticket availability. You doing Houston or Dallas?
I live up here in the metroplex so I will be representing the TexAgs Wine Club - Dallas Chapter.
MooreTrucker
AG
ILikeTacos said:

cecil77 said:

Quote:

I live up here in the metroplex so I will be representing the TexAgs Wine Club - Dallas Chapter.

Unfortunately the High Plains Chapter will not to my knowledge be represented.
HTownAg98
Anyone going to the Austin Food and Liquor (and some wine) Festival this weekend?
HTownAg98
So the Austin Food and Wine Festival was pretty good. There was more wine this year (not all good), and the Bordeaux and Reserva Rioja tastings was pretty good. One of my friends got an entire bottle of Bordeaux from the booth because the lady pouring just gave it to them, and so we drank it and poured for others around us in line since we couldn't take the bottle home. Both the Justin and Landmark booths were very good. We got to taste through the entire line of Justin and four of the Landmark pinots. It was then we realized everything was downhill from there. I ended up ordering half a case of Pinot Noir.

Tonight's wine: a $26 Bordeaux that can age and is spectacular for the price. It needs a 24-hour decant to be pleasant right now.

cecil77
AG
Where did you buy it?
HTownAg98
Ethel's in Lakeway. I didn't buy it though. A guy that works there brought it over and left half of it. I left it open on the counter and drank the rest tonight.
HTownAg98
A ten year retrospective on some old school Napa cab. This was $40 on release, and I'm thinking of buying more of current vintages to lay down for a while. It's too bad there aren't more producers like this left.

cecil77
AG
And....???? How was it. I've got a couple of bottles put back.

Most memorable part of our visit there four years ago. My handicapped wife holds the door open for an old man with a can and gets ripped a new one for it. Turns out to be Tom Burgess himself!
HTownAg98
It's drinking really well right now, and still has about 5-10 years left. I had it with lamb. You should open one of yours and find out.

I got an 09 reserve yesterday in my club shipment. I'm seriously considering upping my membership to get more of their stuff. I've just grown tired of the massive fruit forward cabs that Napa is producing now.
BSD
AG
Back in the good ole days, I was drinking a lot of old Burgess. I loved how they held some back for consumers.

Just checked. Most were before I had a good inventory system but I did see a bunch of library Release 1996's in my notes that I drank in 2010. I really don't think I paid more than $30/40 for them.
HTownAg98
Their regular cab is still $45, and it's worth every penny. Their current winemaker is doing some more blends and location specific wines, but she's still making the cab and merlot. They're a steal.

The library releases in the club shipments has just started this past year. I'm a fan.
cecil77
AG
Interesting read...

Organic Wine's Deadly Carbon Footprint
htxag09
AG
That is interesting. I've heard of the copper issue, especially in Bordeaux. I believe I've read they are trying to now try biodynamic practices to counter the copper and bringing in a lot of compost, which is changing the soil.......

I had not ready anything on the higher C02 emissions before.

The other knock on Organic is the lack of flexibility. Every vineyard and vineyard site is different, hard set rules don't work for all of them. Napa only has like a 10-15% organic rate. Napa is easy to grow grapes compared to other places, and even they can only hit 10-15%..... Even if their were no negatives of organic, 10-15% isn't going to make a difference.....

It's a buzzword and really has no backing, but I think the key is sustainability. Are you taking care of the land to continue farming it in the future?
htxag09
AG
I also have to laugh at how often I'm hearing about global warming and the exaggeration of it in some circles of the wine world.

I'm not making this a political debate or even arguing global warming, but people are acting like vineyards around the world are ripping out all grapes to plant more heat resistant varietals.

They continue to reference the alcohol level in wines and it creeping up in recent vintages.....Sure, some of this could be because of hotter vintages. But, I'd also imagine a lot of it has to do with vineyards letting grapes hang on the vine longer to get that alcohol level up to meet that trend in market demand......
cecil77
AG
I agree with all of that. Dan has some very interesting logic about the whole issue...
aggiecive
AG
I'm part of a group of 8 headed to Napa on Wednesday. We have appointments at the wineries listed below. I received many of the ideas from this thread.

Donum Estate
Dakota Shy
Amizetta
Aonair
Italics
KrisTod
Schramsburg
Eleven Eleven
Hall
Del Dotto
Chase Cellars
Biale
Silver Trident
O'Brien
cecil77
AG
Helluva trip! Enjoy!!!
klietzau
AG
Chase is one of my favorites. If you like Zins, they have some really great ones and some really old vines. The owner Katie is around quite a bit and you will have a great time out there with Elise or Bryan as well.
Goose06
AG
klietzau said:

Chase is one of my favorites. If you like Zins, they have some really great ones and some really old vines. The owner Katie is around quite a bit and you will have a great time out there with Elise or Bryan as well.

One of the 8 going with CivE. This is our 3rd time to Chase. Agreed on their zins. We would also rank the atmosphere of the tasting near the top of our list.
cecil77
AG
Never Too Early for Tempranillo!

Inwood is co-hosting this and I'll be there. Monday 5/20 7pm at Austin Winery, 440 East Saint Elmo Road, A1, Austin, TX 78745

There will be several Tempranillos served, including several from Spain.

I will be bringing:
* 2008 Inwood Cornelius Reserve
* 2011 Inwood Colus (micro yield 100% Tempranillo, retail $225)
* 2011 Inwood Magnus (micro yield Temp Cab blend, retail $225)

This is new for us to do, but I anticipate a fun event.

Cyp0111
How long are you going to be there? Amizetta alone is a treck up the mountain.
wtmartinaggie
AG
See you soon! Looks like a great lineup. If you have space, Larkmead is another great winery to visit.

If you need anything while you're out here, feel free to give me a shout!

Taylor
704-293-5351
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.