Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,552 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just ordered a bunch of 2008 Dom Perignon to last me the next decade or so. HEB had the best price I've seen yet. Plus 10% a multi-bottle purchase. Cheers!
Goose06
AG
Going to 3 wineries in a day plus having a drink over lunch and still thinking it's a good idea to drive? Sounds like a recipe for a really bad trip...
HTownAg98
Amateur.
Austintm
Hey, whatever works for you is fine. We've just gotten to the stage where 2 per day is the limit (or one if the event is a release party). And though we try wines, we're not day-drinking a lot, so driving isn't an issue. We spend a lot of time at the wineries getting to know the people, and buy a lot of pricey wine to make it worth their while. Most of these places are only doing 2-3 tastings a day max, so you can spend some quality time there.
MooreTrucker
AG
We once did 9 wineries in 2 /12 days, which was our intro into "sport wining". We did get a great tour of the J Lohr winery, but the other stops were pretty much just "tasting and go". We've since learned that it's more about the experience than just the tasting.

And we didn't hire a driver, but we had a local with us that set up the tour and did the driving.
Goose06
AG
We do 3 wineries in a day and spend a good bit of time at each spot. When they offer me an extra tasting of 2 or 3 of their reserve wines I don't want to have to spit it out or say no thank you.
BSD
AG
BSD said:

Just ordered a bunch of 2008 Dom Perignon to last me the next decade or so. HEB had the best price I've seen yet. Plus 10% a multi-bottle purchase. Cheers!

My wife wasn't happy with me on this. She thought I pussed out and didn't buy enough. Looks like I'm ordering more!
Thriller
AG
MooreTrucker said:

We once did 9 wineries in 2 /12 days, which was our intro into "sport wining". We did get a great tour of the J Lohr winery, but the other stops were pretty much just "tasting and go". We've since learned that it's more about the experience than just the tasting.

And we didn't hire a driver, but we had a local with us that set up the tour and did the driving.
I hope this is where we end up eventually, if this couple enjoys themselves and want to learn more. I'd say this is much more of a touristy trip than if it had just been me and my wife.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Here was our itinerary for a trip a few weeks ago and it was a great mix of "see as much as you can" and "relax and enjoy yourself"

Edit: Only change I would have made was not going to Nicholson Ranch and spending more time at Reynolds Family and Scribe in exchange, or possibly finding another place to visit. I was actually much more sober for the fajitas at home than I was for the Girl and the Fig, getting drunk or not getting drunk is entirely doable either way.
BSD
AG
Let's party!

jh0400
AG
You can keep the Rare Barrel. Let's bottle share these.
htxag09
AG
Had a Long Meadow Ranch Rutherford Sauvignon blanc tonight with some siracha chicken. Nice pairing and pretty dang good wine for $15. We bought a few bottles at a wine dinner backstreet cafe hosted featuring long meadow ranch wines. After tonight, wish I'd bought a few more....
FarmerJohn
AG
I like their whites. I have a bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge myself. Not a huge white wine consumer, so I feel I'm a tough critic. They do a fun chef's table dinner and wine pairing if you happen to visit them.
HTownAg98
Evidently the investors of Alpha Omega like their hookers and coke.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/24/rep-devin-nunes-linked-to-napa-winery-that-allegedly-held-prostitutes-and-cocaine-cruise/
752bro4
AG
HTownAg98 said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/24/rep-devin-nunes-linked-to-napa-winery-that-allegedly-held-prostitutes-and-cocaine-cruise/

Misleading...
Quote:

Nunes is an investor in the winery but there's nothing to suggest he was aboard the yacht on the night in question.
Quote:

The winery also said none of the passengers on the yacht on the night at the center of the lawsuit had any connection to Alpha Omega or its owners.
Quote:

Alpha Omega's 62-foot yacht with 25 people who had won the Bay cruise in a charity fundraiser. Those people, whom Anase believed to be "important investors" in the winery, were men, according to the suit. Alpha Omega has said the men were not connected to the winery or its owners.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

Nunes is an investor in the winery but there's nothing to suggest he was aboard the yacht on the night in question.
Then why TF is he even mentioned except to throw shade on him leading up to what's about to happen.
cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

Then why TF is he even mentioned except to throw shade on him leading up to what's about to happen.

Clicks. (period)

I try to remember that ALL "news" exists to sell ads. Network news anchors are in reality very expensive ad salesmen, and nothing more.
ILikeTacos
AG
HTownAg98 said:

cecil77
AG
Birthday for a friend last night was a pretty good wine night as well.

2017 Inwood Mericana (pulled from the barrel, will be bottle this summer)
2016 Inwood Magdalena
2015 Chateau Boswell Proprietary Red
2015 David Arthur Elevation 1147
2003 Chateau d'Yquem
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Birthday for a friend last night was a pretty good wine night as well.

2017 Inwood Mericana (pulled from the barrel, will be bottle this summer)
2016 Inwood Magdalena
2015 Chateau Boswell Proprietary Red
2015 David Arthur Elevation 1147
2003 Chateau d'Yquem
aggiecive
AG
Accidentally stumbled upon Bent Oak in NW Austin. It was a nice surprise.
FriendlyAg
I just wanted to say that I love reading this thread. I don't have the disposable income to chase some of this stuff yet, but I find it fascinating to live vicariously through some of you guys.

Edit: Do any of you guys have some sort of to-do exploratory list?
aggiecive
AG
After my visit to them today, I would add Calais to any exploratory list. They are near Hye, TX. Very good.
MooreTrucker
AG
Calais is on my next Fbg visit list, as is Willaim Chris.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

2003 Chateau d'Yquem

My man!!!
JCA1
AG
Opened my 1998 d'Yquem a few weeks back. First time I've had either d'Yquem or a Sauternes with that much age. Reminded me more of a port than a Sauternes. Had that raisin flavor I typically associate with port. Is this typical?
cecil77
AG
Ben makes good wine I put him and Dan (Inwood) head/shoulders above the rest in Texas.
MooreTrucker
AG
And not the least bit biased.
HTownAg98
I apologize for neglecting this thread. We got a new puppy on Monday and she's been cutting into my wine drinking time.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I apologize for neglecting this thread. We got a new puppy on Monday and she's been cutting into my wine drinking time.

Start a puppy on a refreshing white before moving him to reds...
HTownAg98
Funny you should mention that. The name we gave her is Cava. She's champagne without the pedigree because she's a lab something.

cecil77
AG
And an undoubtedly sparkling personality!
aggiecive
AG
I'm going to have some time to kill on saturday in Wimberley and am thinking about trying Inwood and William Cris. I'll have my kids (3 yo and 5 yo) and am curious if that would be frowned upon. They are generally well behaved and we would take them outside if they were being disruptive.
cecil77
AG
aggiecive said:

I'm going to have some time to kill on saturday in Wimberley and am thinking about trying Inwood and William Cris. I'll have my kids (3 yo and 5 yo) and am curious if that would be frowned upon. They are generally well behaved and we would take them outside if they were being disruptive.

At Inwood, at least, not at all. Happens all the time. I'm in the Reserve Room on the left as you come in. Please stop in!

Cecil
HTownAg98
nm
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.