Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,680 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good for you guys!
htxag09
AG
Did a search, and saw it mentioned a couple times but no real answer.

Do any of y'all insure your wine? Something I've been considering and having a hard time finding a company to get quotes to weigh the pros and cons. Insureyourwine.com is recommended via CT but looks like they're changing platforms and aren't doing quotes/new policies right now....

Just curious how many people insure your wine cellars and who you use......
cecil77
AG
Nope, and honestly hadn't thought of it, but I'd be interested as well...

I would assume that those paying for offsite storage would include insurance.
SouthTex99
AG
Finishing up 3 days of wine touring in Napa...I want to thank all of you regular contributors to this thread, it made coming here so much easier to navigate. What a place!

Long story short, things I loved:

- Celadon restaurant downtown Napa. Best pork chop I've ever eaten. Auberge du Soleil Duck Confit pizza - wow
- Krug Howell Mtn cab sav current release, Sequoia Grove Stagecoach Cab Sav - excellent, Dutch Henry "Hen" red blend, AO single vineyard cab sav, Envy red blend. Found myself enjoying the blends a lot.
- Cheese game was on point everywhere.
- Schramsberg caves are jaw dropping.
- Gotts roadside - fast, delicious

Lot more to unpack. Really want to sit down and make detailed notes but just an awesome trip. Smoke in the air was a bummer but not a show stopper. Prayers for all those affected in Cali fires. It's very real out here.
aggiejumper
AG
I have AIG private client cellar insurance. Call them up and they'll help. I pay around $80/quarter.
cecil77
AG
aggiejumper said:

I have AIG private client cellar insurance. Call them up and they'll help. I pay around $80/quarter.
Does it insure damage, e.g. heat, etc?
aggiejumper
AG
Yes, heat, freezing, compressor failure, drops/breakage, transport. Pretty much anything from my understanding.
cecil77
AG
aggiejumper said:

Yes, heat, freezing, compressor failure, drops/breakage, transport. Pretty much anything from my understanding.

How about that most pervasive threat? Opening something as a third bottle that the next morning you realize you didn't really mean to?
htxag09
AG
cecil77 said:

aggiejumper said:

How about that most pervasive threat? Opening something as a third bottle that the next morning you realize you didn't really mean to?

So you're saying you or someone else dropped it? Then that should be covered.
cecil77
AG
Yeah! That's it. I dropped it!!!

Or maybe "I opened it and it turned to piss" (8 hours later)
MooreTrucker
AG
So is port a wine that can be opened and drank over a long period of days, or will it go "bad" like other wines?

The reason I ask is that I got a nice bottle the other day, but my wife is not a port fan so I'll probably end up drinking it by myself. But it's 18% ABV and pretty rich so I think I'll have to stretch it out a bit.

What's the limit for that?

And since I'm asking anyway, what's the limit on opened reds and opened whites?
Austintm
MooreTrucker said:

So is port a wine that can be opened and drank over a long period of days, or will it go "bad" like other wines?

The reason I ask is that I got a nice bottle the other day, but my wife is not a port fan so I'll probably end up drinking it by myself. But it's 18% ABV and pretty rich so I think I'll have to stretch it out a bit.

Depends. If it is a Tawny Port (will say on the bottle, like "10 Year Tawny" or "20-year Tawny), it will last a month or so if you keep it refrigerated. If it is a vintage port (i.e. has a vintage date like "2003"), treat it like a red wine. If you open it, you will need to drink it. At best, you can get another day out of it if you have something to expel the air and re-cork (like one of the rubber corks with the pump) and refrigerate.
Tumble Weed
MooreTrucker said:

I drink quite a bit of vintage port, and it dominates my cellar. On occasion, I will let an open bottle of port survive for as long as 7 days. I just put the cork back in it, but I do not refrigerate.

Recently my wife and I noticed that refrigerating an open red wine or port screwed up the flavor. They were good bottles of wine that really fell off the next day. With the red wine, we put a cork in it and then finish it the next day. We have had much better results with this method.

No experience with whites, but I am sure that they are fine to put in the fridge.

Port is fun to share with friends; I would invite someone over and break out the stilton.
Austintm
Tumble Weed said:

MooreTrucker said:

I drink quite a bit of vintage port, and it dominates my cellar. On occasion, I will let an open bottle of port survive for as long as 7 days. I just put the cork back in it, but I do not refrigerate.

Recently my wife and I noticed that refrigerating an open red wine or port screwed up the flavor. They were good bottles of wine that really fell off the next day. With the red wine, we put a cork in it and then finish it the next day. We have had much better results with this method.

No experience with whites, but I am sure that they are fine to put in the fridge.

Port is fun to share with friends; I would invite someone over and break out the stilton.
Should have clarified: by refrigerate an opened vintage port, I was referring placing it back in a 55 degree cellar.
Tawny will work fine in a cellar or refrigerator after opening

Best bet with vintage (or any wine) is to invest in a Coravin if you want tio drink it over time
Tumble Weed
With this thread I guess fridge means wine fridge. All this talk of port makes me want to bring a bottle for Thanksgiving....

I may bring a bottle of Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog to my mother in law as well. They always sell out before Christmas.

Speaking of which, what is everyone drinking on Thanksgiving day?
HTownAg98
After one of my cousins swiped a bottle that wasn't for them, I'm thinking of bringing some nice bottles that are empty and filling them with red wine vinegar and recorking them.
TP Ag '87
AG
I just received a bottle of Stone House Old Tawny. Never been a port fan. How can I pair this (maybe over thanksgiving) to get me to like/appreciate?

Will this keep for few days?
cecil77
AG
I like Tawny alone. Classic is Stilton or cigars, I think?

And I've successfully kept Tawny after opening for months. No refrigeration. No vacuuming.
Tumble Weed
Maybe some pecorino with a tawny.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep a tawny for a week . It shouldn't have any drop off for the first three days.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, guys.

Happy Drinksgiving, everyone!
Tumble Weed
For Thanksgiving I gave one friend a bottle from st emilion, one friend a petite sirah, and another an aglianico.

I have not decided which wine to uncork at my in laws. For their tastes, I may go with the petite sirah.
Austintm
Tumble Weed said:

With this thread I guess fridge means wine fridge. All this talk of port makes me want to bring a bottle for Thanksgiving....

I may bring a bottle of Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog to my mother in law as well. They always sell out before Christmas.

Speaking of which, what is everyone drinking on Thanksgiving day?

Starting with a Ruinart Brut Rose champagne
Then on to a 2009 Ramey Chardonnay
FInish off with a 2014 Seven Stones cab after dinner
2007 Krupp Port with dessert
JMC04
AG
House #1:
2015 Domaine Carneros Brut Rose
Whispering Angel Rose

House #2:
Pops will prob open a Roccioli Pinot
2014 Becklyn Cab
2006 Ch. Padouen Sauternes
2014 Alvear Montilla-Moriles Pedro Ximenez de Anada
FTAco07
AG
I don't know what others are bringing, but I'm contributing a 2014 Dumas Betsy's Blend Chardonnay and a 2013 Maysara Cyrus Pinot Noir.
BSD
AG
Opened a 2010 Realm Dr. Crane at dinner in Vegas tonight. A mighty fine wine, indeed.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Relative noob to wine, but a coworker told me I had to pick up a bottle of Biale Black Chicken for Thanksgiving. Got it at Specs downtown for $43. Anyone, have it before? Thoughts?
HTownAg98
It's good stuff.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2014 Epoch Estate Blend tonight for a quiet evening after tday festivities.
cecil77
AG
2015 Realm Falstaff here.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It's good stuff.

You were right. Incredible stuff
cheeky
AG
Chubb is very good on collectibles/art/jewelry/wine/guns if your home is >$750k and you carry their homeowners policy. Very good.
cecil77
AG
Coravin has their Edition II for half today ($200 vs $400). They show sold out, but link to Bloomingales:

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/coravin-limited-edition-ii-wine-preservation-system?ID=3091120&CategoryID=3865#fn=ppp%3Dundefined%26sp%3DNULL%26rId%3DNULL%26spc%3D13%26cm_kws%3Dcoravin%26spp%3D1%26pn%3D1%7C1%7C1%7C13%26rsid%3Dundefined%26smp%3DexactMultiMatch
cecil77
AG
Cyber Monday Coravin arriving today.

Any tips/tricks to using it?
TheClaw07
AG
The wife and I finally got around to drinking our Sassicaia that we brought back from our trip to Italy a year and a half ago and it was fantastic!
FTAco07
AG
TheClaw07 said:

The wife and I finally got around to drinking our Sassicaia that we brought back from our trip to Italy a year and a half ago and it was fantastic!
I love Sassicaia. I was the beneficiary of a friend's ordering mistake a while back when he thought he ordered a regular bottle at a restaurant in LA, but it was actually a bottle of 1994 that apparently cost over $2k. The waitress definitely should have highlighted this when he just asked her for a Sassicaia and she failed to mention the only bottles they had were on the reserve list. He ended up paying a lot more than what a normal bottle would have cost, but the manager did give him a pretty big break off the original price.
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.