Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,956 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

Very cool!

What part of the country? I told Realm to ship Dec 3.

Well this is my order from May when I went. I will get my allocation shipment next week.
Austintm
First three shipments in (Benediction, La Pelle, Shibumi Knoll). 13 to go....
MooreTrucker
AG
Austintm said:

16? Holey carp!! I'm in 6 and got in trouble for joining the most recent one.
Austintm
Yeah, it didn't seem like so much over time

BullSprig07
AG
My dad has used Houston Wine Cellar for years. http://www.houstonwinecellar.com/

His collection is shrinking and mine is growing so I took over payment of his locker this year. If you want to rub elbows with some guys with some of the most impressive collections in Houston you just show up on Saturday morning when they are all pulling/storing.
752bro4
AG
Austintm said:

Goals

I think we're at 7:
O'Brien (preparing shipment)
EnGarde (received last Friday)
St. Francis
Schramsberg (got the spring shipment earlier this month, think we got the fall one too, wife drinks bubbles like it' water, so never sure what's what)
Kamen ("by Thanksgiving")
Repris
Modus Operandi (shipped yesterday)
cheeky
AG

On the way next week: Pott, Futo, Pahlmeyer.
cheeky
AG

notheranymore
I want to be BFFs with your wife.
cecil77
AG
I asked for all mine after 11/1. Just don't trust our weather! Or the weather between here and there...
HTownAg98
Same here, but a couple shipped anyway because of the longer cool spell. Benovia shipped this week (I had a coupon from them for free overnight shipping), and Jacob Toft and Burgess will ship next week.
MooreTrucker
AG
I always have ours held at the UPS or FedEx place and go pick them up. That way they don't sit out on the front porch in the heat.
HTownAg98
Tonight's wine.

cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I always have ours held at the UPS or FedEx place and go pick them up. That way they don't sit out on the front porch in the heat.
Here in Boerne, Walgreens (of all places) is a FX drop point. Makes it very convenient.
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Here in Boerne, Walgreens (of all places) is a FX drop point. Makes it very convenient.
Same here, but it's a relatively new development.
BullSprig07
AG
I have wine delivered to my wife's office which is close to our house and she always has people there to sing/receive. Only had minimal issues with "shrink" from office personnel.
BigAg95
AG
Has anyone tried either of the Caterwaul cabs from Thomas Rivers Brown? I am tempted to try the $50 pnp, but the folks on cellar tracker don't seem overly excited about it. Curious what you guys think.
BSD
AG
Pott's single vineyard release starts next week. That's usually my biggest purchase of the year as far as quantity goes.
HTownAg98
Burgess ships this week and Paix Sur Terre gets here Friday. Time to start moving stuff to the "drink within the next year" fridge.
htxag09
AG
So today was a pretty busy day at work, I was all over the place. And I got the Pott email, meant to forward it to my wife and just said "Speaking of wine budgets...." as my wife and I are in the process of setting what our yearly budget should be. But I actually just replied to the email....

Claire replied with "Blow it all Matt, you're going to win that $1.6 billion tonight anyway!!"

Haha. Awesome. Guess I have to buy my allocation now....
BSD
AG
Ha. Oops.

I emailed her back after noticing the pictures at the bottom. One was captioned "at the new winery." I had forgotten that Quixote was sold. Claire said they are now at the new Blackbird winery in south Napa. It's not as glamorous she said, but Aaron loves the shiny new equipment. I may have to check it out in a few weeks when I go out there.
BigAg95
AG
Well sheeeeeeit. I didn't get the Pott email. My wine budget is long gone, so that is probably for the best. Because I definitely would have bought some.
BSD
AG
My wine related Halloween pumpkin

cecil77
AG
$300 Jack-O-Lantern?!
Greener Acres
AG
Headed out to Santa Barbara later this week. Any wineries, tasting rooms or restaurants we can't miss visiting?

Likely visiting Foxen, Au Bon Climat and Jamie Sloan. Going with some friends that have a few other places in mind.

GBMont3
AG
In SB proper there are a ton of generally blah winery tasting rooms. Nothing wrong with them but probably not anything that'll blow your socks off. Concentrated in the Funk Zone, there's also another clustering downtown. Most of "the good stuff" will involve a trip out of town to the wineries. One exception would be trying to schedule a tasting at the Sanguis warehouse in SB.

There's a very well stocked tasting room at the SB Public Market (a big food court downtown) that is worth a stop, as is the beer garden at the other end of the building.

Les Marchands is another good spot to sample different wines though the list is more European than local.

Loquita is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. I'd call it a must for dinner. Plenty of other good options as well. The Lark gets rave reviews but I've not been blown away.

Where are you staying?
Greener Acres
AG
We're staying at the Hotel Indigo.

We plan to do one day in town and one day north of town in the wine region. The Public Market and Loquita are on my list but I have to convince the other couple we're going with to be brave in their eating choices.

Thanks for the suggestions
HTownAg98
Go to Sanguis. It isn't in the prettiest part of Santa Barbara, but the wines are exquisite. They don't charge for a tasting, so be sure to purchase a bottle or two.
cecil77
AG
Interesting read

The hidden figures behind the Judgment of Paris
BullSprig07
AG
If your going to venture out of Santa Barbara proper to Los Olivos and into Rhne's I'm partial to Stolpman and Beckmen. If your looking for Pinot I really liked Melville. Could also do the wine ghetto in Lompoc and hit up a few at once , namely Fiddlehead and Arcadian.
aggiejumper
AG
More like $400... prices went up plus shipping and tax.
GBMont3
AG
Second Stolpman. There's a new Melville tasting room basically across the street from Indigo now so that's an "in town" option too.
awesome sauce
AG
Sanguis was a good visit. We also enjoyed Whitcraft, on recommendation from the guy at Sanguis. Check it out if you're into Pinot Noir & Syrah.
BSD
AG
The Pott release started yesterday. I got a couple of each wine, except Turf War which was only a 12 case production. I just got one of those. Hopefully there won't be any more releases for a while because I am too full on wine and this stuff ain't doing my checkbook any favors!
SouthTex99
AG
cecil77 said:

Interesting read

The hidden figures behind the Judgment of Paris
That's great. First read about this in the Mondavi book. That's interesting that a French judge asked for her ballot back. They could have been lauded as truly impartial, world class critics. Turns out their palates were world class, but couldn't overcome the French bias in their hearts.
First Page Last Page
Page 164 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.