Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,282,723 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indeed it was but Falstaff is delicious. Don't blame you.
bularry
Looking to plan a weekend getaway in March to Texas Wine country. anyone stayed at this little place called The Italian Place in Stonewall?

trying to stay as close to Hye as possible to limit my driving.
WestUAg
AG
" />
enjoyed some snow day wine last night...
WestUAg
AG
I agree with everyone, yesterday was a big wine buying day, max allocations of Outpost, Rivers Marie and Myriad. Happy to get a few 3L of Myriad as well.

Maybach and Realm coming up!

I might have some extra Maybach, if anyone is interested let me know and I can tell you what I have once I see my allocation.
ILikeTacos
AG
Does anyone know how to actually get a Realm allocation, I have been signed up for their mailing list a long time, but have never had a chance to buy any. Finally got a bottle at Pappas a few months ago and loved it. Would love to get some for fridge.
WestUAg
AG
Tacos,
How long on waiting list?
Have you called winery and asked them?

I was on wait list for a while but then I visited winery and bought what they would sell me on my visit which got me off the wait list and on to the allocation list.
aggiejumper
AG
Their list is full but my advice is to go visit them, they typically let you order a few bottles of just about anything they have on the next allocation and once you buy you're on the previous buyer list. Other than that, use one of us on Texags to buy through until you make the list.
BSD
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Does anyone know how to actually get a Realm allocation, I have been signed up for their mailing list a long time, but have never had a chance to buy any. Finally got a bottle at Pappas a few months ago and loved it. Would love to get some for fridge.

I'd call and ask if there was an oversight. Or go taste with them. They usually let you buy at the tastings.

Edit: I should have refreshed page before replying and repeating what others said. WestU and Jumper are on top of things!
ILikeTacos
AG
Welp the wife and I are thinking about taking an anniversary trip to Napa in May, let's just do that.
BSD
AG
WestUAg said:

I might have some extra Maybach, if anyone is interested let me know and I can tell you what I have once I see my allocation.

Allocations will be cut back for this vintage, as I'm sure you saw. Especially the mags and 375s. I always max the Materium offerings because it's just that good. I love the 375s because with my health condition, I only get to drink a glass at a time. With the small bottles, I don't have to give as much away!
cecil77
AG
A little over two years for me. Still can't get everything.
BSD
AG
If anyone needs a Realm, I'm probably slowing down my purchases from them substantially. I can offer my allocations.
ILikeTacos
AG
Welp I just booked my flights to Napa, so hopefully I will just order some then!
cecil77
AG
Myriad Dr Crane/Elysian sold out.
BSD
AG
Good for Mike! That's awesome.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Anyone ever try/hear about Chateau-Bellebrise? Supposedly it is very limited production.
A2
htxag09
AG
Just got an email that Hobel is having a complimentary tasting event in Houston Feb. 13...

Too bad I'll be in denver.
aggiejumper
AG
And it's free...Someone on this board needs to go and report back on the tasting.
Tumble Weed
Last night I opened up a couple of wines from Lewis and Perissos.

Four of us engaged in a battle of 2015 Petit Syrah. Perissos won hands down; wasn't even close. It is fun to take the time to taste the difference in two wines side by side.

I think that I will set up a few more head to head battles in the future.

I kept my second bottle of Perrissos in the cellar, it should age nicely.
cecil77
AG
I've got that Perissos bottle put back as well. May need to open it.

I'd love to get you a bottle of our 2015 Inwood Estates Cornelius Reserve (!emp) and 2015 Mericana (Cab) to try.
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

I've got that Perissos bottle put back as well. May need to open it.

I'd love to get you a bottle of our 2015 Inwood Estates Cornelius Reserve (!emp) and 2015 Mericana (Cab) to try.
Sounds good Cecil. Tell me about the barrels that yall are using and where your grapes are coming from.

ETA:
Is the French Oak from the Limousine Forest. What Cooperage do you get them from?
cecil77
AG
Dan curates his own grapes. Both from Newsom (High plains) and Kays in F'burg. They are grown to his specifications, clones, yields, etc.

All French oak, primarily neutral. Dan is not a big believer in the influence of new oak. The wine is all about the grapes.

The Kays vineyard is one of (probably the best) looking vineyard in Texas. Lost my web site to post pictures or I'd post some. Has Clone 169 and clone 412 cab. One of the first vineyards in the US to produce them. Wine isn't for sale yet, but I've tasted both the Cru1 and Cru2 versions. Outstanding Bordeaux style wine.
Tumble Weed
I have 50 more questions but I will wait for the onsite visit.

It is just plain mean to tell us about all these wines that you have barrel tasted and then tell us that we can't buy them yet.
cecil77
AG
Anybody buying Chateau Boswell?

RTB is got a 100 from Parker, but they want $325
Estate Cab got 97 and is also $325
Napa Valley Red is their value bottle at $175

Don't think I can justify...
BSD
AG
aggiejumper said:

And it's free...Someone on this board needs to go and report back on the tasting.

Did they send an email? Ever since my company was bought, our acquirer's email service hasn't been delivering wine related emails efficiently.
htxag09
AG
Yep. Let me know and I can forward it to anyone...

Quote:

Hobel is coming to Houston! If you (or any of your Cab-loving friends!) will be in the Houston area on Tuesday February 13, we would love to see you for an exciting Hobel tasting event!

This exclusive tasting will include our current 2015 vintage release, as well as a retrospective tasting of some of our previous vintages.

What: Hobel Current Release & Retrospective Tasting

Where: Camerata at Paulie's (1834 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX)

When: Tuesday February 13, 5-7pm

Cost: Complimentary to Confirmed Guests

RSVP: Reservation & RSVP Required: info@hobelwines.com

Space for this tasting is limited. Please RSVP to Bahaneh Hobel at info@hobelwines.com if you would like to attend.

We look forward to seeing you at Camerata!

Cameron & Bahaneh Hobel

Forward to a friend
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

If anyone needs a Realm, I'm probably slowing down my purchases from them substantially. I can offer my allocations.
To all...I'll buy any Absurd you don't take. As much as you have to lay off. Standing order really
BSD
AG
Stagecoach said:

To all...I'll buy any Absurd you don't take. As much as you have to lay off. Standing order really

I should have posted when the last Realm offer came out. I passed on a decent allocation of Absurd. Sorry. Hopefully they'll give me a seniority allocation next fall since I won't be a big buyer anymore.
austinag1997
AG
cecil77 said:

Dan curates his own grapes. Both from Newsom (High plains) and Kays in F'burg. They are grown to his specifications, clones, yields, etc.

All French oak, primarily neutral. Dan is not a big believer in the influence of new oak. The wine is all about the grapes.

The Kays vineyard is one of (probably the best) looking vineyard in Texas. Lost my web site to post pictures or I'd post some. Has Clone 169 and clone 412 cab. One of the first vineyards in the US to produce them. Wine isn't for sale yet, but I've tasted both the Cru1 and Cru2 versions. Outstanding Bordeaux style wine.

Newsome puts out some good grapes.
WestUAg
AG
Had a couple of nice aged Napa Cabs last night...both were amazing!

" />
bularry
cecil77 said:

Anybody buying Chateau Boswell?

RTB is got a 100 from Parker, but they want $325
Estate Cab got 97 and is also $325
Napa Valley Red is their value bottle at $175

Don't think I can justify...

VP at my office told me a few weeks ago he was getting a shipment from Boswell from a visit a few months ago. Told me the large format he was getting from them was the 2nd most expensive bottle of wine in his cellar, and this guy is a very big Bordeaux purchaser. I think it was the 3 ltr size and it must be pricey.
WestUAg
AG
I passed on the boswell as well. Haven't had it but can't really justify that price and I have plenty of Thomas brown wines in my cellar already.
BSD
AG
Are these older wines you been drinking original purchases that have been cellared or are you buying on the secondary? Either way, I like your style.
FarmerJohn
AG
Since I will not be able to try those wines, how would you compare those to wines produced today? Is there a difference in styles?
WestUAg
AG
BSD,
I have been buying a bunch of older wines at auctions. I did a bunch of research on different auction houses and came out with a few reputable ones. I have had very few bad bottles from these auctions.

Farmer,
Biggest difference is most of these wines the fruit is not the primary flavor.....in some cases it's still there but in most the secondary flavors have started coming out...cedar, forest floor, leather all seem to have a sort of old world bourdeaux flavor and incredibly smooth.
First Page Last Page
Page 141 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.