Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,244 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
cheeky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had no idea Texas had produced ANY bottle of wine that sells for $195 or more, which is what I paid from DA at release. Guess I'm behind on my reading.
cecil77
AG
Spurning the Common Wisdom to Make $225 Texas Wine
notheranymore
Great article! We tasted there in April. Dan spoke to us while we ate out back. Very curious fellow.
cheeky
AG
Interesting read. How many cases of Magnus produced in last offering, and of that what percentage was actually purchased through allocation alone?
cecil77
AG
2011 is the only vintage of Colus (100% Temp) and Magnus (Temp/Cab blend). The maximally low yield (one or two clusters per vine) was experimental at the time, but has worked incredibly. Polyphenol count in the wine exceeds 3,200 microgr/liter, putting it equal to or ahead of similarly priced wines. They are still available for purchase (six went out the door last Saturday) - but I know there's just a few cases left.

Their will be a 2017 vintage of Colus and Magnus. I have barrel tasted both a few times. They will be spectacular.

HTownAg98
So I popped the cork on a good cheapo today: a 2015 M. Chapoutier Bila-Haut Cotes du Rosillion Villages. This is a pretty outstanding GSC (Carignan instead of Mourvedre) for $13. This would be good to have handy when you don't feel like opening more expensive bottles when your guests are half drunk and just want more wine. For us lol poors, it's a great QPR for southern France that is better than a lot of Cotes-du-Rhone Villages.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks HTown. Always like the way you think.

Is that a Spec's/Total Wine/HEB offering?
HTownAg98
I think it was from Costco, but it's widely available.
TP Ag '87
AG
thanks
aggiejumper
AG
I have a few 2010's of this and love it. Definitely the best QPR in my cellar.
awesome sauce
AG
I had a case of Chianti show up from Italy Tuesday (2 days ago). I opened a bottle tonight and it was very pale and weak flavored. There were "crystals" in the decanter and the color was much lighter than normal. It's unlike anything I've encountered before. Is "bottle shock" a real deal? Should I wait awhile to open another bottle?
cecil77
AG
awesome sauce said:

I had a case of Chianti show up from Italy Tuesday (2 days ago). I opened a bottle tonight and it was very pale and weak flavored. There were "crystals" in the decanter and the color was much lighter than normal. It's unlike anything I've encountered before. Is "bottle shock" a real deal? Should I wait awhile to open another bottle?

Quote:

Tartrates, or wine diamonds, are particles that separate from the wine, particularly during ageing in tank and often in bottle if the wine is subjected to cold temperatures. The particles are mostly made up of potassium bitartrate.

They are harmless. Most wines are cold stabilized prior to shipping to minimize them.

The light color could just be the wine. Sangiovese makes all kinds of wine. I'm doubting time in the bottle will improve it much, based upon your descriptoin.
HTownAg98
What are you sorry *******s opening for Christmas? I'm opening a 2008 Jospeh Phelps Insignia, a 2013 Linne Calodo Rising Tides, and a 2014 Herb Lamb Two Old Dogs.
cecil77
AG
Let me know how the Insignia is. I have one shouting at me from my chiller.
TP Ag '87
AG
Received a Terre Del Palio Brunello for gift and its looking endangered.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

Will do.
Bruce Almighty
AG
We're opening the 2010 Caymus Special Selection on Christmas Eve. Wife works Christmas Day.
FTAco07
AG
I plan on opening a 2013 Dancing Hares and a 2012 Kapcsandy Family Estate Cuvee.

On another note, has anyone ever had Lapierre Raisins Gaulois? I ended up buying my parents a double magnum of their juice on a whim. I know nothing about it, but I was told that it's is a "good" easy drinking wine and since they generally drink swill I thought it would make for a fun Christmas present.
WestUAg
AG
I'm opening a 2013 Thompson 31fifty pinot noir from the Russian river valley. Winery owned by a great Aggie, Mike Thompson
Thriller
AG
We've been looking for a new RRV Pinot. I'll look this one up. Thanks!

Is the owner on TexAgs?
cecil77
AG
2013 Clos Pegase Hommage. Nice wine. May be even nicer in a couple of years.

Merry Christmas!
TP Ag '87
AG
That's a cool place to visit. Went there in 2007 with the Mrs.
TP Ag '87
AG
Had a 2015 Tulocay Pinot Noir after church tonight. Pairs awesome with Christmas cookies and chocolate.
WestUAg
AG
Thriller,
No I don't think Mike is on Texags. He has a website that he sells the wine through. I think he probably still has a few bottles of the 15 left as it was just ordered and shipped.

HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

Drink it. It's not in a dumb phase right now, and is showing really well. I'm not sure why you would need to wait for it to get any better, though a good 1-2 hour decanting will do it well.
BSD
AG
2009 Realm Dr Crane Cabernet with dinner tonight. Merry Christmas, gentlemen!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Whole family has flu. No wine and all I've eaten today is toast.
cheeky
AG
Fairchild Estate Sigaro 2013
Checkerboard Kings Row 2012
Will shut it down with Blanton's

Merry Christmas!
ILikeTacos
AG
We ended up opening a bottle of 2013 second flight.

Merry Christmas to us.
BullSprig07
AG
If the 97 Dunn wasn't peaking I don't know what to say, can't imagine it getting any better than what it was last night. Poured with Prime Rib.

[img][/img]

Amazing how these Pisoni Pinots age.
[img][/img]
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'm looking for a bottle (or more) of Oliva Grace by Mark Ryan out of Washington.

Problem is, you have to be a Dead Horse Club member to gain access.

Long shot, I know, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone had a lead on it.
jrweinberger
I have a lot of experience with Lapierre's wines. I've been buying multiples of his Morgon for years--definitely one of my all time favorite domaines. Marcel was a pioneer of Beaujolais and part of the original "Gang of Four" (Marcel Lapierre, Jean-Paul Thevenet, Guy Breton and Jean Foillard). Sadly, he died a few years back but his son and daughter are still running things there. The Raisin Gaulois is their entry level bottling. It's meant to be drunk in copious amounts and with abandon. It's not a complicated wine--it especially goes great with anything from the grill. Cheers!
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

Spurning the Common Wisdom to Make $225 Texas Wine
Thanks for the heads up on Inwood Estate Vineyards. I have not tried them out yet.

We are always looking for boutique wineries in Texas that are trying to produce something different. Do you know if he is using French Oak?
cecil77
AG
100% French oak. Mostly neutral though.
FTAco07
AG
Thanks jrw, that matches exactly what the folks at the store said and is perfect for my parents.

On another note, if anyone is in Dallas and likes small batch and/or interesting spirits I highly recommend checking out Bar and Garden on Ross Ave at Hall St. Their wine selection isn't great, especially for this high end crowd, but they have some cool liquors and tastings. They specialize in organic and/or unique stuff so there is no Jack Daniels or Tito's on the shelf. They do some cool tastings and events once or twice a week as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.