Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,633 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your favorite zins BSD?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
quote:
Have a Realm order coming.

They are shipping to TX already??? That ain't right!
BSD
AG
quote:
What are your favorite zins BSD?

Lately I've been digging Bella and Zichichi out of Sonoma. Mauritson's Rockpile zins are excellent too. I believe these are all winery direct. We actually hit Zichichi yesterday and got a shipment set up.
BSD
AG
Today I hit the laboratory of Pott Wines...wow! I can't imagine a better day of wine tasting!

HTownAg98
I'll be tasting Carte Blanche tonight. Will report back tomorrow.
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
Today I hit the laboratory of Pott Wines...wow! I can't imagine a better day of wine tasting!

wowzer, thats hot.

ordered some chester's anvil a few weeks back. excited to try it.
BSD
AG
Today in Napa:

I visited with an assistant winemaker of a few labels I've bought from in the past who is now working on his own project with fruit from a cool (temperature cool) vineyard in Oak Knoll and a block in the George III vineyard.  We punched down and tasted the 2012 fruit (picked about one to two weeks ago ) and barrel tasted his 2011 wine which has not yet been determined if it will blended together or go as vineyard designated bottles.  They were both good but the Oak Knoll wine was more interesting with a bigger feel.  We even went to  visit the vineyard after the tasting.  A bottle of the 2010, which was only George III, will be delivered tomorrow to try (we barrel tasted it last year).  This winery is not yet named but I'll let you know when it is.

Then it was off to my favorite retail shop, 750, who offers excellent wines and even better customer service.  I left with 2 mixed cases of cab sauv which included Brand, Forman, Dalla Valle, Shelter, 12C, and Winter.  I left Screaming Eagle on the shelf so you guys could have some.  

Also, after visiting Pott yesterday, I ordered quite a few of his wines this morning.  It was cool to see him in the press this week, in the new Wine Spectator and as a winemaker of the year in Food & Wine.

Tomorrow is Myriad and Rivers Marie...can't wait!  But tonight, dinner at Farmstead with my family and then off to Press for a Port tasting.
cecil77
AG
This is vicarious pleasure. Next time just lie and say you picked up a couple of bottles of Screaming Eagle on a whim...

Oh, and to stay on track, we had a bottle of 2006 Col Solare this evening. Dang good Washington State wine...

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 10/24/2012 8:48p).]
BSD
AG
I was actually talked out of the Screaming Eagle. The guy said that price consideration aside, I'd be disappointed with it compared to many other wines I bought this week. He told me that if it was one of the top wines he ever had, he'd recommend it but that just wasn't the case. I was disappointed because I've always wanted to try it but was grateful with the honesty.
BSD
AG
Dinner at Farmestead was smoked ribs with Lang & Reed cab franc.
Agustus Caesar
AG
love farmstead
HTownAg98
We tasted through the Carte Blanche line last night. Some really good wines. They have a Sandstone Seven wine that is viognier, roussanne, and marsanne, that was outstanding, but $80/btl. The right bank red and left bank red were really well balanced Bordeaux style blends, and priced at $95 and $135, respectively. I think they are worth it, but I was not a buyer last night.
Echoes97
AG
Farmstead is awesome, as is 750 Wines! Looking forward to a full recap BSD...
Agustus Caesar
AG
if they put kyle field outside st helena i would move to napa valley yesterday!
BSD
AG
Yeah, I've found myself doing a lot of window shopping at these downtown realtor shops! I like both St Helena and Yountville. Not sure where I'd pick if I ever did by a place out here. I would probably go broke at Bouchon if I lived near it.

Had Addendum today. We split 2 fried chicken plates and 2 BBQ plates. Delicious!
AlexSAWineguy
AG
BSD, what is your take on Saxum? I bought my friends allocation (3 of each) and have only had a taste of the James Berry (07) last year. It was delicious but clearly needed time to evolve.
BSD
AG
I'm not a huge fan of syrah, so I havent been a buyer, but the 2 Saxums I've had we're excellent. I can't remember what the names were but one was primarily syrah and the other was Grenache. If I was syrah drinker, I'd buy these wines.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't much of a fan of Merlot, until I was introduced to the Hourglass Blueline. I did get burnt out on Aussie Shiraz last decade, the Saxum Syrah is supposed to be more of a rhone style.
BSD
AG
The quick response is because my 3 year old is wide awake or I'd be sleeping off last night's fun right now. I'm not a merlot guy either but like you, I dig the Hourglass. I also like Carter and Switchback Ridge. Both are "cab lovers merlot.". If you like syrah, check out Myriad and Quivet. Mike Smith is the winemaker and everything he does is phenomenal and has a good price point. I actually hung out with him a bit yesterday to taste his 2010s and some 2012 pressed juice. His is the only syrah I buy these days.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
I will do, are Myriad and Quivet readily available in Texas?
BSD
AG
They are winery direct, but I believe they are all sold out right now. I'd get on his mailing list before everyone gets the Nov Wine Spectator and sees the article on him!
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Thanks for the heads up, I'm on it!
cecil77
AG
Bourassa also has a Cab lover's Merlot, which I find pretty good. More of an "everyday" drinkable, but good nonetheless.

Still awaiting the Mirror Howell Mountain Cab I spluged on. Should ship next week!
HTownAg98
Blackbird Merlot is another good one, and not terribly expensive either.
Agustus Caesar
AG
Had 08 M. etain tonight. Awesome, very fragrant, perfumey. Almost like a good cologne. I would suggest drinking some!
BSD
AG
Nice!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
So I was in Greenville, TX on business last week. Saw a winery/bistro "downtown" that I figured I'd try. Was called Landon Winery. Never heard of it. But it was outstanding. I had their Yellow Rose, and their Pinot Noir. Both were excellent. Ended up splitting a bottle of the Pinot at our table. Food was excellent too. Greenville, who knew?!

Anyway, was just curious if anyone else had had any Landon wines and what you thought of them. I'm not a huge wine guy, but this stuff was good enough that it kind of piqued my interest. I had kinda given up on wine because the stuff I bought was never any good. Guess I was just buying the wrong stuff maybe.
dermdoc
AG
Got my Realm shipment today.

How long should I hold on to them before drinking?

Thanks
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And drinking a 2009 Vermeil(as in the coach)Zinfandel.

Tasty.
HTownAg98
I've heard Vermeil's wines are pretty good.
My last shipment came in today.
2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard
2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2010 Novy Syrah
BSD
AG
quote:
Got my Realm shipment today.

How long should I hold on to them before drinking?

Thanks

I'm still working on my 2004s! But I typically drink my Cali cabs 5-8 years after vintage date.
BSD
AG
quote:
I've heard Vermeil's wines are pretty good.
My last shipment came in today.
2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard
2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2010 Novy Syrah

I don't drink a lot of pinots but I always enjoy having these!
HTownAg98
If you want some, you better hurry up and order some ASAP. Adam said they're going to be out in about two weeks.
streetfighter2012
AG
Any of you guys have a suggestion for a bottle in the $30-$40 range that would go well with grilled steaks? The drier Cabs are generally what I like more.
dermdoc
AG
I like the 2009 Louis Martini cab with steaks.

And it is usually less than 20 bucks.

Hess Allomi cab is good and Frei Brothers 2009 cab is good also.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.