Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,107 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought max allocation: 3 bards, wish listed 3 tempest and 1 Falstaff.

Was able to purchase all 3 last year. Think it has to do with their new ordering method. Instead of it being first come first serve (with an allocation based on some kind of points), you are guaranteed your allocation until September 19.

I imagine I'll get most my wish list as well.
cecil77
AG
Wierd. As I read this I got a text from a friend offering part of his allocation. I asked for 1 Falstaff just to see what the fuss is about. I've been on Realm's request list for two or three years and still not gotten in.
BSD
AG
you should have asked me. I always leave a bottle or two on the table (except for '13 Crane)
aggiejumper
AG
3 Bard's here and 1 wishlisted Falstaff. Does anyone know if you can pick up at the winery? I'll be at Realm in 3 weeks and would love to save on shipping costs.

Cecil, if you can, request a Bard too.
cecil77
AG
quote:
3 Bard's here and 1 wishlisted Falstaff. Does anyone know if you can pick up at the winery? I'll be at Realm in 3 weeks and would love to save on shipping costs.

Cecil, if you can, request a Bard too.

Done!
bularry
so, how were those Cali Syrah's? Good vineyards. Novy aren't usually expensive, did it improve with age?
BSD
AG
2013 MacDonald is on Tuesday so I'll definitely be trimming back on Realm.
BullSprig07
AG
All of them held up really well and could even stay in the cellar for longer honestly but the Arcadian-Stolpman Vineyard was the highlight. Some of the best Cali Rhone varietals I've had the last few years have either been made by Stolpman themselves or grown at Stolpman and made by another good winemaker like Joe Davis at Arcadian.
HTownAg98
The Stolpman Para Maria de los Tecolotes, and Las Quadrillas are always half case buys for me. The Para Maria is just a good Syrah at the price, and I like the story behind the Las Quadrillas.
ILikeTacos
AG
Alpha Omega released the 2014 To Kalon Cab at $525 for a three pack. $175 a bottle is Era territory for them. Worth it to take a swing?
BPCAg05
AG
Was there for the ERA party earlier this year but these prices are getting tougher to justify
aggiejumper
AG
Nearly all To Kalon wines are $175+, I think the only one less than that is Provenance.
htxag09
AG
We preordered this one after a barrel tasting back in March, it and the ERA. Could you only order it before now at the winery?
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
We preordered this one after a barrel tasting back in March, it and the ERA. Could you only order it before now at the winery?

Normally that is how they roll.
BSD
AG
Beckstoffer has mandated that his To Kalon fruit must be above $175/btl. About 2 years ago, he increased that to $225. Look for those prices to pass thru to you as the next vintages are released. Of course, the cost of the fruit is so high that a bottle has to cost that much to make any sort of profit!

I'm at the point now where I'm starting to wonder if I need more than one To Kalon bottle (especially since I rarely drink them). I mean, if I have MacDonald, do I really need Realm? Schrader? The same goes for Dr Crane...do I need Myriad AND Realm? Maybe I should just pick one. On Rutherford, do I go with Scarecrow or Schrader or Greer (Pott)? Knowing me, not a damn thing will change as I'll have the "Fear Of Missing Something" but a more rational person might see it logically.
BPCAg05
AG
How does Provenance sell theirs for $75?
BSD
AG
I honestly have no clue. Maybe they get a block that isn't quite on par with the other blocks. Maybe the contract is different and they are grandfathered in at a lower level. I'd be interested in finding out!
BSD
AG
I just looked at the Provenamce website and the 2010 and 2011 sell for $125. Maybe they are playing catch up? Still, that is lower than the $175 minimum of days past. I'm stumped.
BSD
AG
Oh, I also learned tonight that if you, the winemaker, charge more than $225/btl, Beckstoffer will take more! The guy has some power!!!!
BPCAg05
AG
I visited them earlier this year and it was $75 plus tax at the winery. I only picked up one bottle there but I was surprised at the price. I only bought one because That price actually made me suspicious haha
BSD
AG
Haha. I hear ya. I've had the Provenance bottle. It's no Schrader! (I think I have about 4 of the '08s left...bought for $45 each in Houston!)

But still, it's got to be some contractual thing we can't see.
aggiejumper
AG
I just got the email and the 2012 Provenance is still $125. It's good but not Realm,Schrader,etc good. There's got to be something behind the scenes with their deal and beckstoffer.

Also the $225 bump will suck for at Realm. That's my wife's favorite wine. $175 was high enough

BSD, yes you need Myriad and Realm's Dr. Crane wines.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, yes you need Myriad and Realm's Dr. Crane wines.

Thank God for reason!!!
HTownAg98
I think Provenance lost their To Kalon contract after the 2012 vintage, for many of the same reasons mentioned above. Their block was cheaper due to a long term contract and they had one of the lesser blocks in a 350+ acre vineyard.

Here is a great article of the history of the vineyard, and it includes a great map at the end of the To-Kalon vineyard as it stands today.
https://www.guildsomm.com/stay_current/features/b/stamp/posts/the-true-story-of-to-kalon-vineyard
TP Ag '87
AG
HTown: have a case of Stolpman on order now. Bought some at "pre-release" pricing so kinda hard to beat.
HTownAg98
Even better.
TP Ag '87
AG
New job/office probably already thinks I have a problem with all of these "heavy box at front desk" emails lately,...
BSD
AG
quote:

https://www.guildsomm.com/stay_current/features/b/stamp/posts/the-true-story-of-to-kalon-vineyard

I've read that article a few times now. I like this line "Ironically, when used by Mondavi the MacDonald and Detert fruit is sold as a To Kalon Vineyard wine, but for their own products Mondavi's trademarks prohibit them from labeling it as such."

We learned a lot about the vineyard from the MacDonalds. They are really doing a great job at embracing the To Kalon heritage, even if they cant call it that. We learned where the best lots were, why the were the ebst lots, and who owned them (along river bed, because of alluvial fan from ancient mountain rivers, Beckstoffer and them). We also learned some history and saw how the larger owners of the To Kalon vineyard have misplanted the vines to produce an inferior product with the To Kalon name.

Oh, and the '13 MacDonald was by far the bet wine I've had out of California since the 2007 Maybach and 2006 Realm Dr Crane.
Thriller
AG
Any can't miss wine spots in Vegas? I know I'll pay the premium for it, but doing a little celebrating this weekend. If it's paired with a phenomenal steak, that won't hurt either.
BSD
AG
BYO if going to a steakhouse. We brought an '07 Scarecrow and had Kobe strip (real Kobe) at SW Steakhouse last fall. incredible! Other than that, hit up Chada Thai and Wine. Ask for Bank, the owner and somm, and get some nice reisling to go with your spicy food. The also have a great selection of reds. Lotus of Siam is good too but Bank was the brains behind the Lotus list before leaving a few years ago.
cheeky
AG
quote:
Still on the waiting list. Let me know if you have any unused allocation to share
ILikeTacos
AG
So I went ahead and took a chance on the AO To Kalon and then they come back and ask if I want the Dr. Crane too....
BSD
AG
quote:
So I went ahead and took a chance on the AO To Kalon and then they come back and ask if I want the Dr. Crane too....
They did that to me too, and then offered "The Debate" which is a 3 pack made by Jean. I had to pass...
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:
Still on the waiting list. Let me know if you have any unused allocation to share
Sorry, but no dice on this list. Looking back, I should have signed my wife up on that one when I signed me up. I always give a bottle to a good friend and I would love to have more. I'm greedy like that...so I guess not signing her up is better for everyone else. I cant wait til my buddy makes the list so I can stop giving him one of my bottles!
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
quote:
They did that to me too, and then offered "The Debate" which is a 3 pack made by Jean. I had to pass...
Yeah with what I have in the wine fridge already that I haven't drank I can't justify anymore.
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.