Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,351 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
reload85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TP what do you go by on Vivino? Interested in your reviews.
reload85
Brownguy81 extremely jealous of you making it on to the list. The only wines of his that I have had are the ones he makes for his sisters called the result of the crush. His young fruits and cast off stuff. They run around $25 a bottle and are very umami driven style. I think that is what awaits you and they won't disappoint. Enjoy!
TP Ag '87
AG
I think it's the same as on TexAgs.
reload85
TP Ag 87. It must be something else ? Couldn't find it.
TP Ag '87
AG
Troy P ??? Never paid attention. But I'm flattered.
JMC04
AG
quote:
Brownguy81 extremely jealous of you making it on to the list. The only wines of his that I have had are the ones he makes for his sisters called the result of the crush. His young fruits and cast off stuff. They run around $25 a bottle and are very umami driven style. I think that is what awaits you and they won't disappoint. Enjoy!
Thanks reload!
JMC04
AG
quote:
TP Ag 87. It must be something else ? Couldn't find it.
Are you guys on cellar tracker too? If so, I'm jcassi01. I'd love to follow some more people on there
TP Ag '87
AG
Never used CT actually.
cheeky
AG
quote:
My family and I recently relocated to Bakersfield CA. Paso Robles is relatively near to Bakersfield, and I'm looking forward to making it out to some of the wineries.

Anyone with Paso wine/wineries experience on this board that can offer recommendations?

Thanks.
Law Estate
TP Ag '87
AG
Guess you found me.
reload85
Yes, looking forward to your reviews.
reload85
Not on cellar tracker. Maybe they will merge.
TP Ag '87
AG
Please lower your expectations. I haven't exactly garnered all of the flourishing adjectives espoused by wine snobs.
FarmerJohn
AG
Just wrapping up a Canadian vacation. With the exchange rate, the country is on sale. We can't get many Canadian wines in the US, but if you make it north of the border, some of my favorites from this trip:

Cedar Creek - Some good pinots, especially some of their single block vineyard options. But even their standard pinot is nice and fruity. I wasn't as much of a fan of their standard Cab/Merlot blend. A little weak.

Blasted Church - Generally pretty good across all they sell.

Poplar Grove - They have some high end stuff but I tried a Chardonnay from their second line "Monster" that was very interesting. Tasted similar to a California Sauvignon blanc.

Kettle Valley - Their "Old Main" meritage blend is worth seeking out.

Red Rooster - Their gewurztraminer walked a nice line of flavor without too much of the harsh flavors that this variety can sometimes have.

Mission Hill - The dean of Okangan wines. I'm just listing this for completeness sake. Visited a couple years ago but didn't try any this trip.

Overall, the Okanagan valley is a winner. But it is a hit and miss region. There is some that is not good. They are still learning. Personally, I wasn't a fan of much of the Niagara region. Even the Riesling wasn't great. Too sweet. Just some thoughts if you find yourself in B.C. / Alberta.
bularry
quote:
My family and I recently relocated to Bakersfield CA. Paso Robles is relatively near to Bakersfield, and I'm looking forward to making it out to some of the wineries.

Anyone with Paso wine/wineries experience on this board that can offer recommendations?

Thanks.
I'm going out to the area for vacation in a few weeks. I don't have much time for winery visits but I've looked into a few that look promising to me - Adelaida, Halter Ranch and Paix Sur Terre.

I like to visit wineries that I don't see here in Houston, which is why I'm not doing Stolpman or some others. Plus I enjoy Rhone wines from the Central Coast so sort of focusing on those types of producers, although Adelaida makes about everything I think.

If you like bigger Cab style wines I have heard good things about Daou.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
BSD,

What are your thoughts on Hobel and how does it stack up with the other TRB wine?
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Anyone order Carter Cellars today?
aggiejumper
AG
Yep, 2 OG's.
MHLY01
AG
Ryan and Paix Sur Terre makes great wins. Will pour for you in the cellar of Grey Wolf.

Daou has an unbelievable facility. Great Views from the tasting room.

I would try to get an appointment at Law. Great wines and good visit. Unbelievable tasting room.

Nick at Nicora is one of my favorites. He is in Tin City. You can visit a ton of wineries there. Clos Solene(great, expensive), ONX, Jacob Toft, Aaron, Desparada, Brian Benson, Field Recordings, Barrel House Brewing for beer, and Wine Shine for spirits. You might need a driver.

Herman Story is down the road in Paso and they make huge wines, plus Russell is a hoot.

Also, Paso Underground has four wineries pouring in the tasting room right by the park. Turtle Rock makes nice wines at a good prices. Don Burns is the assistant winemaker at Saxum and all the wines are made there.
Hugo Stiglitzz
Ended up at Daou, and had an amazing time. The views you get of the Central Coast from their tasting room are amazing. Some friends here in Bako are member of Halter, and have nothing but good things to say about the place.

Just FYI, if you decide to make the trip out to Daou, make sure you make a reservation as they can get pretty busy.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD,

What are your thoughts on Hobel and how does it stack up with the other TRB wine?
Not as "in your face" as far as boldness but it is a good wine. I buy half bottles every year.
SECeded
HTownAg98
You may want to get in touch with Ridge. I know they have been quietly acquiring some older wines. They might be interested in it.
SECeded
HTownAg98
Popped a 2012 Caravan tonight. Plenty of dark fruits and vanilla, with fine but gripping tannins right now. Either let it sit for another year to drink because it is Tuesday night, or use the tannins to your advantage and pair it with a fatty ribeye steak. The tannin structure went really well with steak tonight.
JMC04
AG
quote:
Anyone order Carter Cellars today?
I almost deleted the email from them, thinking they would have a three bottle minimum @ $150. Was super excited to see the Fortuna @ $90, no minimums, so I bought two.

Allocations still to go:

Rivers-Marie Cab (maybe)
Becklyn cab
Hourglass Cab
Proper Syrah

Last year was my first purchase of RM and Becklyn and I haven't opened them yet. Guess I need to start poppin bottles before I get those release emails lol.

Shame my wife is pregnant and won't be able to participate ; )
bularry
ended up going to Halter Ranch and Adelaida.

Halter has a fairly new tasting room and a neat facility, but on a Saturday it was like a Napa valley wine room, place just packed. we did a little tour, our family and then a group of 4 young ladies from UCLA. I will say that it is a good thing my wife was present or I would likely have embarrassed myself trying to chat up the college girls. wines were fine

Adelaida was a good tasting and I liked their wines a bit better. a really killer rose. I didn't really dig their pinot, but their michael's zin and a syrah were good wines. we bought a few and will likely order some more in the fall. my kids really enjoyed the vineyard tour and learning a lot about the growing process. very good for wine newbies, for sure.

as a general note, it was hotter than hell there last week. i don't see how those vineyards are going to survive that heat in this drought. will be interesting to watch.
BSD
AG
quote:
Allocations still to go:

Rivers-Marie Cab (maybe)

I had a glass of 2012 RM Calistoga the other night...whoa! awesome wine. And from what they tell me, the 2012 Panek is even better.
cecil77
AG
Myriad ordered today.

Semillon
Napa Cab
GIII
Three Twins
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
quote:
Myriad ordered today.

Semillon
Napa Cab
GIII
Three Twins

Ditto for me
BSD
AG
Sadly, I passed on Myriad cabs for the first time since I've known Mike. Damn medical conditions...

That said, I loaded up on his 13s so I'm good for years to come.
HTownAg98
I hope your medical condition goes way soon.
BSD
AG
Thanks, but this is permanent. The few glasses I get are pretty special to me, though. And if I have a glass, then it's usually a special occasion and I cherish every one of those I can get. Do I wish I could drink the way I used to? Absolutely! But there are more important things in life, and that is what I focus on these days.

Oh, and I get to open some 2006 Dom P and 2009 Brand cabernet this weekend in Mexico.
cecil77
AG
I call upon all good Aggie wine drinkers, each of us individually, to take it upon ourselves to pick up the slack in wine consumption forced upon BSD. It's a tough job, but dangit, we're Aggies and we can support each other!

Are you up to the challenge? Who's with me?!
htxag09
AG
I will volunteer for this challenge...
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.