Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,310 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm being offered 2 bottles of 2003 @ $255 as well as splits of 2005 @ $249. Are those decent prices? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

jh0400
AG
Those are in line with Winezap.
BSD
AG
Thanks. I'm tempted to pass and just buy older vintages as needed and forego the carrying costs. They really aren't that much more.
HTownAg98
I got the latest Siduri mailer, and I'm thinking about making some purchases. The problem is I've got way too much pinot noir right now.

aznaggiegirl07, your best bet as a beginning wine drinker will be to find a good wine bar in your area that has a good by the glass selection. Go on a Sunday afternoon or some day when they aren't that busy, and just tell the bartender your wine experience, and they should be able to direct you to wines that you will like. Also, look into beginner wine classes. They are a great way to get exposed to a wide variety of wines, and you can quickly find out what you like or don't like. Best of luck to you.
BSD
AG
I agree. Finding a good wine bar is a great place to start. Finding a place that offers flights would be ideal. That way you can try mutliple offerings of a particular varietal (or region, or winemaker, etc).
cecil77
AG
I paid $249 from invino.com

One other thought for just starting out. Read, study and listen. However ultimately learn your own tastes and figure out what YOU like. That will likely change and evolve, but don't think that you HAVE to like certain things...
BSD
AG
Last night was Cabernet Sauvignon night at my house (considering that's 70% of my cellar, it's no surprise). We had Carraba's takeout and watched the Olympics at home.

2007 Bennett Lane Turn 4
2007 Outpost Howell Mountain (phenomenal juice!)
2 x2007 Cameron Hughes Lot 200 (Napa)
2007 Cameron Hughes Lot 168 (Rutherford)

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 8/4/2012 8:00a).]
cecil77
AG
So, what did the other guy drink?
BSD
AG
Some wines we enjoyed on my short Sam Diego vacation this week:

2007 Anderson Conn Valley Eloge (mostly cab sauv)
2007 Realm the Bard cab sauv
2007 Pott Pantagruel cab franc 
2007 Corra cab sauv (wow!)
2007 Myriad Dr Crane can sauv (best of the trip)
BSD
AG
Tonight's juice!

A few bottles of Groth Sauv Blanc and Schug chard and...

2007 Vineyard Seven and Eight 7 Cab Sauv (Spring Mountain)
2006 Jean Edwards Cellars Cab Sauv (Stagecoach Vineyard) ***winner on the night
2007 Cameron Hughes Lot 143 Cab Sauv (Rutherford)
2007 Cameron Hughes Lot 164 Cab Sauv (Howell Mountain )
rononeill
Bsd- how many of y'all are usually at these gatherings?
BSD
AG
Anywhere from 2 to 8. This past one was 6 for dinner and then 2 more showed up late for one last bottle.
Echoes97
AG
Last night had 2 great bottles, a 2009 Outpost True Vineyard cab, and a 2009 Behrens Family "Spare Me" (thanks BSD for that reco!). Awesome juice, the both of them.
BSD
AG
Too soon on the True!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 9/2/2012 8:36p).]
BSD
AG
We smoked some ribs today and had a 2007 Gamba zin and a 2009 KeatIng Monticello zin. The Gamba was much more fruity while the Keating had a peppery finish. Both were solid.
dermdoc
AG
Always enjoy your posts BSD.

I secretly lurk and sometimes buy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Echoes97
AG
I know it was too soon (way too soon) on the True Vineyard cab, but we have some 2006 and 2009, and we had tried the 2006 before and it was decidedly lackluster. Didn't know if we got a bum bottle or what, so we just wanted to compare/contrast. 2009 is excellent, and will just get better (obviously). We have more of both so we'll try the 06 again soon and see what's up.

Pretty much have loved everything Thomas Rivers Brown has touched! Got one of his "Hobel" 2009 cabs last time we were up, but could only get one so we won't know about that one for quite some time.
BSD
AG
Thanks dermdoc. I think I could put more notes down but usually forget specifics after all the booze!

Echoes, I found that 2006 needs more bottle time or a good decant, like 6-8 hours, which is tough to do on a spur of the moment bottle opening, so please give that a thought if you open the '06 True up again.

I have 2 Hobel's as well...bought on name alone. I am hoping to meet with Thomas next month when I go out there. The only problem is that late October is still harvest so he may be busy. If I don't get to try the Hobel while out there, maybe I'll kill one of mine and report back.
dermdoc
AG
I got on the Behrens list but the "Spare me" is sold out.

Are their other wines good?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by dermdoc (edited 9/5/2012 11:11a).]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
In short, yes.
rononeill
Argyle 2010 pinot noir. B. Kind of light, decent with fish, but likes me some Leticia a whole bunch more.
Echoes97
AG
Dermdoc, if you like blends, theirs are outstanding!

One of my favorites for 2009 is their "Labor Of Love". Mainly Cab Franc, it's just awesome. IMO you can't go wrong w/ any of their wines, love them all.

BSD, thanks for the notes on the 2006 True, we definitely decanted it last time for ~1 hour, guess it just wasn't long enough. Tried the Venturi as well, no help. Will give it a lot longer next time!
dermdoc
AG
thanks
dermdoc
AG
Anybody know anything about a winery called Donelan?
OldSaltAg
Wow am I glad i found this thread, great information on some great wines! I'll have to read a page a day while I'm messing around with work, but I can't wait to add some more wine suggestions to my pitiful collection. As far a Texas wineries, I have, on the suggestion of others, visited Bending Branch and Sing Water and have enjoyed them both. I work right by Dry Comal and the ranch is by several others in Fredericksburg. I'm hoping to learn a bit more. One page down, 9 more to go.
dermdoc
AG
Miner Oracle 2007 right now before dinner at Christopher's and First yell.

Tastes damn good
An Ag in CO
AG
Just picked up my case of 2009 Lynch-Bages. I can't wait to drink a bottle or two, but I have a few years of cellaring before I pull the first cork. I have some older vintages ready to go, though. I'll pull the cork on a Puligny-Montrachet soon.
dermdoc
AG
I was born in 1955 and had a '55 Bages Lynch on my 50th.

HTownAg98
I cooked dinner for some friends of mine Saturday night. Here's a list of what we drank.

Krug NV
2010 Schrader GIII Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Schrader RBS Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Jones Family Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Bettina (Bryant Family)
2003 Hundred Acre Cabernet Sauvignon
1970 La Mission Haut-Brion
Echoes97
AG
Had a 2005 Toad Hall Bodacious cab last night, was excellent.
BSD
AG
quote:
I cooked dinner for some friends of mine Saturday night. Here's a list of what we drank.

Krug NV
2010 Schrader GIII Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Schrader RBS Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Jones Family Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Bettina (Bryant Family)
2003 Hundred Acre Cabernet Sauvignon
1970 La Mission Haut-Brion

That's my kinda dinner! Although ...too young.
HTownAg98
The Schrader came from what was left of a release party. It was good, but everyone agreed it needed more bottle time.
cecil77
AG
We toured the Seneca Lake wine country in NY on our jaunt to New Hampshire. Drop dead gorgeous country. A few wines were drinkable to decent. Also, they've kept their prices sane as opposed to Hill Country wineries - most bottles in the twenty buck range. Some quite nice "iced" wines. They don't often get cold enough for true ice wine so the grapes are frozen cryogenic-ally after picking.

Some very nice places to stay. Here's where we stayed.

The drive from there to Cooperstown is incredible. We stayed on the back roads and it got to "Oh lookie, another perfect, picturesque village... "

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 9/17/2012 8:54p).]
BSD
AG
quote:
The Schrader came from what was left of a release party. It was good, but everyone agreed it needed more bottle time.

I'm sure I would have had multiple tastes to judge my perceived bottle time recommendations. I'm hoping to barrel taste the '11s next month when I'm out there. I'm afraid they might go to bottle before I arrive though, leaving nothing open or ready to drink.
BSD
AG
Heads up for Echoes…

quote:
Dear Friends,

We are thrilled to announce that our 2010 Hobel Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon will be released next Tuesday September 25. 

Our inaugural 2009 vintage was a great success and we were so honored to be named as one of the "8 Impressive New Faces from California" by Wine Spectator.

The release of our new 2010 vintage will only occur through email and will be made available in phases, with allocations based on prior purchases or date of mailing list sign up.  The price for the 2010 Hobel Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon remains $75 per bottle.

Please note that you will only receive an allocation of the 2010 Hobel if you have previously registered on the Hobel Wines website (either by purchasing via the website or by signing up for our mailing list).   If you have not done so, please go to http://www.hobelwines.com/signup and create your own unique username and password.

First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.