Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,467,320 Views | 43504 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by slo8140
ConfidentAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like mine.
Rocketman84
AG
I like the A124, have 1.5 of them. Still see them occasionally.
Science Denier
AG
Saw this on the shelf today.

It was $200. Is it any good? Garrison lists it at $180 so doesn't seem like a huge mark-up. It's in a wry small town liquor store.

Thoughts?
Lonestar-aught-six
Everything I buy I try to keep 100$ or less. I've bought one 120 dollar bottle that I won't rebuy.
ConfidentAg
AG
One day I'm going to buy a WT101 12yr.

Other than that I don't really have a desire for any $100+ bottle.

Obviously all that goes out the window if I get a shot at a super rare like WLW or Pappy 23.
Lonestar-aught-six
Of course you're right but paying that for average stuff I get super critical.
AgDev01
AG
Science Denier said:

It was $200. Is it any good? Garrison lists it at $180 so doesn't seem like a huge mark-up. It's in a wry small town liquor store.

Thoughts?

Im sure its perfectly fine, but if i am paying $200 it is going to be something special or something i can flip. I just don't see value in it and it wouldn't be a special occasion bottle for me. I'd rather buy 2 4R SBBP, 3 bottles of Westward Cask Str, hell you can probably find a decent Stagg for $200 on secondary.
Hornbeck
AG
Not around the greater BCS Microplex they ain't.
trouble
AG
I like it a lot. I can't tell you if it's worth $200 to you. I know I didn't pay that for mine but don't remember what it was.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Longhorns vs Aggies tomorrow evening in College Station.

I did my part in Austin. Will you do your part in Aggieland?

Pour some WT101 in a flask and get after it Ags.
Science Denier
AG
AgDev01 said:

Science Denier said:

Thoughts?

Im sure its perfectly fine, but if i am paying $200 it is going to be something special or something i can flip. I just don't see value in it and it wouldn't be a special occasion bottle for me. I'd rather buy 2 4R SBBP, 3 bottles of Westward Cask Str, hell you can probably find a decent Stagg for $200 on secondary.

They have Stagg at $185
Aggie Therapist
AG
I just got one for 150

Bourbon market is crashing. I encourage everyone to offload now and get into vodka
AgDev01
AG
I personally wouldn't buy either at those prices but if i were going to the Stagg would be my pick.
Science Denier
AG
Thanks guys. How does it compare to their Guadalupe?
Science Denier
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I just got one for 150

Bourbon market is crashing. I encourage everyone to offload now and get into vodka

Anyone "offloading" EHT BP? I had a taste of that and it's one of my favorites.
Science Denier
AG
trouble said:

I like it a lot. I can't tell you if it's worth $200 to you. I know I didn't pay that for mine but don't remember what it was.

Oops. Meant to ask you how it compares to Guadalupe from Garrison.
trouble
AG
Science Denier said:

trouble said:

I like Guadalupe better but they are very different. Once I get kids to bed, I'll taste them and see if my tired brain can do notes

You aren't in BCS, are you? I could give you samples.
Science Denier
AG
trouble said:

Science Denier said:

trouble said:

I like Guadalupe better but they are very different. Once I get kids to bed, I'll taste them and see if my tired brain can do notes

You aren't in BCS, are you? I could give you samples.
no. I'm in Houston. Right now, Guadalupe is a bit cheaper on the secondary - around $150-160. I don't mind paying more if it's better. But I love Guadalupe.
trouble
AG
Guadalupe is my absolute favorite GB. Then Balmorhea, then Laguna Madre, cowboy, every single other bottle from them I have................. Honeydew

I just sipped a little. Vanilla and brown sugar caramel on the nose. Stone fruit and maple early, chocolate cherry on the finish.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Guadalupe is one of my least favorite offerings and a little nasty

1.Cowboy Bourbon
2.Single barrel cask strength
3.Laguna Madre
4. balmorhea

Are my rankings
Bulldog73
AG
Barnett's whiskey tasting had all 4+ the regular small batch, honey dew, and single barrel. I'm not a proof ****, but our rankings match up.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Barnetts is an amazing establishment

Their bourbon selection and pricing is phenomenal

They have tequila too. Top notch place
Sazerac
AG
NVM
trouble
AG
Well now you gotta tell me
Dallas Ag03
Bourbon friends: are you neat only or do you enjoy a bourbon cocktail? I'm sipping a Knob Creek single barrel now (which is great) but at dinner this evening (at a sushi restaurant of all places) had an old fashioned that was over-the-top exceptional.
AgDev01
AG
all of the above. Mixed, Cocktail, neat, rocks just depends on what i am drinking and where i am drinking.
Tom Cardy
AG
Rare/expensive/unique I usually go neat.

But I do love a good cocktail, and definitely not opposed to throwing nicer bourbon into one if it makes sense for the flavor profiles. EHT SmB is a great base for cocktails
trouble
AG
Both
Naveronski
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I'll be living in a tent for the next couple weeks and out of pocket. Please bring any TexAgs pick related questions or concerns to srob2004.

I see tents but that sure looks like garrison.
Naveronski
Naveronski
AG
Dallas Ag03 said:

Bourbon friends: are you neat only or do you enjoy a bourbon cocktail? I'm sipping a Knob Creek single barrel now (which is great) but at dinner this evening (at a sushi restaurant of all places) had an old fashioned that was over-the-top exceptional.

trouble said:

Both
Dallas Ag03
I need to learn how to make the Old Fashioned as good as the restaurants. Feel like I'm close, but not quite there. I use simple syrup, angostura bitters, good bourbon mixed together in a ball glass tumbler. I then pour over some expensive Japanese ice (clear) that I buy at Central Market and add an orange peel and Luxardo cherry. Have perfected this recipe to a "very good" state but I can't get it to good restaurant/bar quality
Bulldog73
AG
Simple syrup - are you just doing plain white sugar? Most premium spots I've seen are using a Demerara sugar and usually a 2-1 sugar - water ratio. When I want to spice things up, I'll sometimes put a touch of vanilla or a cinnamon stick while making the simple syrup, but that's obviously not the traditional approach.
Tom Cardy
AG
Second the Demerara syrup, adds some richness over normal simple.

Would also suggest experimenting with bitters. Angostura is traditional, but you can use tobacco/black walnut/etc. to change flavor profiles and draw out different characteristics of the bourbon
Dallas Ag03
Simple syrup could be the issue. I have been using an OTC simple syrup that I keep in the fridge. Have muddled sugar cubes/water before but hasn't made a huge difference.
First Page Last Page
Page 1157 of 1244

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.