Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,474,475 Views | 43541 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by BQRyno
rebelag62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was not a fan of the Tin cup 14. It was just okay.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Someone check on BrokeAssAggie……he's either dead or not drinking.

Aggie Baseball is tanking…
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
BrokeAssAggie
Aggie Therapist said:

Someone check on BrokeAssAggie……he's either dead or not drinking.

I'm alive. Headed to a kids play
AgDev01
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Hmm I wonder why that is.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Hey this started last weekend my dude.

You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Aggie Therapist
AG
Brauny has been quiet here……rough times
BQRyno
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Brauny has been quiet here……rough times

I'm surprised that hasn't brought him here more often!
Aggie Therapist
AG
Haha right?!

He's recently married after all. Perhaps getting familiar with the new sheriff in town. For better or for worse.
ConfidentAg
AG
After dogging MGP a store owner talked me into a Stellum store pick. This was ~$40 for 115 proof instead of ~$60 for 86 proof (Tincup 14) I passed on earlier.

Tastes pretty damn good so far.

BQRyno
AG
What's it taste like? Looks super light in color in that particular pic.
AgDev01
AG
So what are some random bottles y'all have bought, without knowing anything about it except for what is on the label, that you ended up enjoying?

I've mentioned this one before but i'm really enjoying this bottle of Sinister Malt Whiskey i got from TW. Saw it in the American Whiskey isle at TW marked down for $32ish, i believe. As someone who likes a good stout i decided to give this bottle a go. Looking at the distillery online i doubt i would like anything else they produce but this bottle is really good. Tons of dark chocolate and graham cracker throughout. If you like stouts, buy a bottle, it has me looking for other stout aged whiskeys to try.

(not my picture but i already finished my glass so..)

ConfidentAg
AG
Taste like a quality standard bourbon (to my amateur palette). Nothing jumps out. I think it's 5yr MGP mixed with some other stuff.

I like it.

Edit: it's a super easy drinker
TexAgs1992
Finally opened up my Booker's Springfield Batch I bought about two months ago after wife and I closed on our house yesterday. Outstanding juice.
ConfidentAg
AG
Congrats on the house.
Aggie Therapist
AG
ConfidentAg said:

After dogging MGP a store owner talked me into a Stellum store pick. This was ~$40 for 115 proof instead of ~$60 for 86 proof (Tincup 14) I passed on earlier.

Tastes pretty damn good so far.

"After dogging MGP"

Good lord. You have much to learn.
ConfidentAg
AG
Not because it taste bad.

I just don't like the idea of paying two separate companies profits.

I'm weird about value I guess.
Tom Cardy
AG
There's a ton of great history about sourced whiskey that you may be interested in. A lot of the best whiskey around right now is blended sourced product.
ConfidentAg
AG
I really enjoyed Penelope but I think there are probably better for the $.

Okay let's start.

What are some of y'all's favorite sourced bourbons.

(Y'all's?)
FTAC2011
AG
Paying two companies, yes, but I don't think you are overpaying. MGP model was mass produce barrels and don't pay for marketing, bottling, etc. Other companies didn't invest in barreling, but did in the other stuff.
ConfidentAg
AG
Stellum is definitely waking me up to that.
Aggie Therapist
AG
MGP juice is amazing.

I'll let other users explain it to you. I'm more of a "are you kidding me" type of guy on the boards.
BQRyno
AG
AgDev01 said:

So what are some random bottles y'all have bought, without knowing anything about it except for what is on the label, that you ended up enjoying?

I've mentioned this one before but i'm really enjoying this bottle of Sinister Malt Whiskey i got from TW. Saw it in the American Whiskey isle at TW marked down for $32ish, i believe. As someone who likes a good stout i decided to give this bottle a go. Looking at the distillery online i doubt i would like anything else they produce but this bottle is really good. Tons of dark chocolate and graham cracker throughout. If you like stouts, buy a bottle, it has me looking for other stout aged whiskeys to try.

(not my picture but i already finished my glass so..)

I saw this today. May have to go back…
Tom Cardy
AG
Penelope is lower "value" but still puts out good stuff.

Smoke wagon from several years ago was fantastic, although has fallen off since to some degree.

Pursuit is putting out some excellent blends. They use bardstown, sagamore, and a couple other sources.

Other boutique craft NDPs like Dark Arts have unique stuff that's pricey but super unique.

Big names: Barrell, High West, Redwood Empire, Widow Jane
BQRyno
AG
High West for sure. Excellent products.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Too bad High West tries too hard
Tom Cardy
AG
I'd say they're similar to smoke wagon, fell off a bit recently. MWND isn't what it used to be

Although the prisoner's share and some of the store pick finished bourbon is excellent still.
AgDev01
AG
Here are the tasting notes from the Left Hand website -
Quote:

Enter into temptation with Sinister's aromas of honey, apricot, and caramel. Entice your palate with flavors of chocolate, fig, and crme brle. This 95-proof spirit finishes with a subtle sweetness balanced by peppery and woody notes.

I'd say they are pretty accurate. It isn't a complex pour with a ton of layers but for 30 bucks, i really like it. I'd say go for it, if you don't like it i will happily buy the bottle off of you.
Shaggie 05
AG
Several brands made their name with older stocks of MGP before the run on their products for every new brand under the sun. Smooth Ambler, Smoke Wagon, and High West are a few good examples. Early 10yr Smooth Ambler was VERY good. As these brands and all the newer startups either transition to their own juice, or have to survive on younger and younger MGP, their product typically just isn't what it used to be.

MGP makes good whiskey, but most of it is really good when it's older. Between their own brands they've spun up and buying Penelope (who was using MGP from the start), they thought is they are holding onto their best stuff for themselves, as should be expected, but we'll see.

MGP (technically Ross & Squib now) has a very interesting history. They were previously the Seagrams plant. In fact if you stumble onto some Rebecca Creek 16yr, it was Seagram's juice, and supposedly very very good.
AgDev01
AG
Tom Cardy said:

There's a ton of great history about sourced whiskey that you may be interested in. A lot of the best whiskey around right now is blended sourced product.
The sourced whiskey debate is an interesting one. I don't mind a sourced whiskey as long as they are clear where it comes from.

To me there are three basic types of sourcing -

1 - Those distilleries who buy sourced whiskey until their own distillate becomes available, ie Rebecca Creek. We all know that RC got some honey MGP barrels. I am kind of mixed on this type of sourcing. I understand why they do it, folks need income, they just need to be transparent with the source. using RC as an example if they have a product that is sourced but really good, ill grab a bottle with no qualms, but it typically wont be something i randomly grab off the shelf like i do with bottles that are distilled by (even if those do suck a lot of the times)

2 - Blenders - Bardstown et al. This is a whole different situation. I personally don't buy these but i know some of the best bottles are coming from boutique companies blending various sourced stuff. Personally it isn't for me but i respect it as they are usually very transparent with what they are doing.

3 - Relabels - i think this is the group ConfidentAg is talking about. Those bottles where they come up with a fake name and story for their product and slap on a fancy label when it literally is just a bottom of the barrel MGP or even worse Dickel barrel that they slap a fancy label on and charge 80 dollars. I think we can all agree these should go away.

I will say it will be interesting to see what happens now that MGP has their own in-house brands. How will that change things? We all know they can make some damn good whiskey. What about the TW brands that clearly list being distilled at Barton? Do we see more of that?
Bulldog73
AG
The interesting thing to me about the MPG is the variety of climates they're finished in. Smoke Wagon in Nevada, High West in Utah, Smooth Amber in West Virginia. Same juice, different finishes and climates. Resulting in vastly different products.
Shaggie 05
AG
Bardstown and Wilderness Trail are both pumping out good sourced whiskey now too. Lots of people saw the success of that side of the MGP business and have started doing the same. A lot of contract barrels at both of those outside the Barton stuff. Have heard of another large facility being spun up with the intent of contracting, but can't remember details right now.
ConfidentAg
AG
Bardstown now sells fully non-sourced bourbon in their origin series now.

Which reminds me because I have to buy a bottle.
ConfidentAg
AG
Great post.
AgDev01
AG
Contracting is another example. Maybe we should contract a couple of barrels for a TexAgs pick. Im sure someone on here has a barn we can let them age in. Hell if we want to do an aged at sea version I can let one soak of the salt air off my balcony on the CC bay.
ConfidentAg
AG
In my younger years I lived in an apartment with a balcony view of CC bay.

Best view of anywhere i have ever lived and it ain't close.

Right on the water.
First Page Last Page
Page 1132 of 1245

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.