Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,433,635 Views | 43177 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChoppinDs40
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just for conversation, but what are some of the bottles that if you see out somewhere and the price is good enough, you can't ever pass up? I'll go with any Michters 10 year, whether that's the Rye or Single Barrel. As long as the price is decent I'm probably leaving with it.
Pac1698
AG
We just finished our Spanish oak last night, it was really tasty (although a little hotter than I remember). Definitely worth a try!
AgCzar
AG
I mean, I rarely see those but hell yeah I would grab those any time I saw that at a good price. Any exclusive Michter's really.

RR private barrel picks, 10 year ECBPs, and OFSBBS are the ones I never pass at a good price. I always try to keep a bottle of KC 12 on the shelf too.

Anytime I see an EHT BP or SiB, Stagg, or RR 13 at a good price I'm jumping on them. I've gotten lucky on each of those once, but usually see them way marked up.
Tksymm7
AG
Knob 12 is a great shout. Michters 10 year was probably aiming a tad bit high but still true hah!
AgCzar
AG
I got the '23 M10B and it's one of the best bourbon's I bought last year. I would love to get another because I've killed half my bottle. It's so crushable.

Honestly, I'll probably keep a KC18 on my shelf if I can too. I got one for about $160 and I love it. It has the perfect amount of oak.
tu ag
AG
I have never seen KC12 in the wild.

Y'all must spend way more time in the right stores.
AgCzar
AG
To be fair I didn't see it for years. Got a bottle and McKenna 10 and KC 12 visiting my grandparents in FL two years ago and thought I hit the jackpot. Now see both regularly.

I would hook you up if I had an unopened one, but I sent my backup bottle to another Ag recently. I can keep an eye out if it's something you're hunting though.
AgCzar
AG
Anybody done an infinity bottle? If so, what did you think?
txag2008
AG
Was just at a place on the north side of DFW today that had plenty of KC12 & Knob Creek 9yr Single Barrel Reserve. Never had either bottle before and went with the 9yr SB.
AgCzar
AG
Great choice. Worth snagging that 12 year too. Great value pours and different enough that it's worth having them both imo.
BrokeAssAggie
What city you in? Several TW have them right now. Just Search on the store app and purchase for pickup
cab559
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

What city you in? Several TW have them right now. Just Search on the store app and purchase for pickup

Thanks for the heads up! Picking mine up tomorrow.
tu ag
AG
In CS.

I just remember being able to walk into Specs and see a nice row of EHTsiB sitting there for days at retail, find a Blanton's when I wanted one, etc. So, I have become a bit jaded on the hunt. Sometimes I just pop into a store to try and get lucky.
Now it is just hard to find a lot of things. I am glad sazerac has gotten better distribution though.
WES2006AG
AG
The biggest problem that got me to abandon the search for bourbon was liquor stores charging above retail. I get that they are trying to maximize profits but it is a beating to see a good bottle on the shelf only to realize the liquor store is charging secondary prices for it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
tu ag said:

In CS.

I just remember being able to walk into Specs and see a nice row of EHTsiB sitting there for days at retail, find a Blanton's when I wanted one, etc. So, I have become a bit jaded on the hunt. Sometimes I just pop into a store to try and get lucky.
Now it is just hard to find a lot of things. I am glad sazerac has gotten better distribution though.
Fortunately, buffalo trace is adding 20 new rickhouses and filling them. Won't see the results of that for some time but there's an arms race going on in Kentucky right now. Hopefully this allocation world we live in will fix itself.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm with you, it's super frustrating to see. One guy I chatted with explained his plight (this is under the old distribution). Essentially to be able to buy one case of EHTSmB he had to buy 20 extra cases of fireball and their $200 mini fridge. He said he'd never sell all of that fireball, so he tried to make up for it by charging secondary.

It was a bit of a woe is me, and I'm sure there was hyperbole, but for smaller shops with hierarchy it makes some sense.
htxag09
AG
WES2006AG said:

The biggest problem that got me to abandon the search for bourbon was liquor stores charging above retail. I get that they are trying to maximize profits but it is a beating to see a good bottle on the shelf only to realize the liquor store is charging secondary prices for it.

Meh, only reason that bottle is on the shelf is because they're charging over msrp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also out of the bourbon hunting game. But liquor stores charging over msrp isn't high on the reasons why. They either charge normal prices and slapjacks on the internet try to get secondary, or they try to get secondary themselves. Is what it is when supply/demand is so imbalanced. At least should be less likely to get ripped off by a liquor store.
AgDev01
AG
tu ag said:

I just remember being able to walk into Specs and see a nice row of EHTsiB sitting there for days at retail, find a Blanton's when I wanted one, etc.

Those days were great. Then the millennials had to come along and ruin it all.
tu ag
AG
You are going to get me like...
trouble
AG
That's why it's good to know people. I don't have the time or desire to hunt either.
tu ag
AG
I know you.
Give me a unicorn bottle!
Tksymm7
AG
I enjoy the hunt for high level/exclusive stuff because it really makes you feel good when you find it and then if you get it at a solid price.

What I don't love is people treating EHT Small batch, Blantons, Weller Antique, Full Proof, Stagg, ECSB etc like they are BTAC, Pappy VW, Coy Hill and the like. There's a big difference between those two levels, so why do we act like they are the same? Let's get EHT small batch and everything else I mentioned on the shelves more regularly and start charging MSRP again.
tu ag
AG
I have found exactly 2 Blantons and 1 Stagg Jr anywhere at anytime in the last 7 years.

It has gotten ridiculous. I am still nursing that Stagg like it was my last child. I have never even tried a sip of a single BTAC (or OFBB, etc.) of any kind, anywhere, because I can't bring myself to pay $80 for a finger of bourbon.
Bulldog73
AG
Not knowing where you live, it's hard. Most any of it won't ever be on the shelf anywhere near MSRP. It's all about relationships and asking them, not just walking in saying "got Blanton's?" Then walking out.

The spec's drops are huge & had multiple bottles of Blanton's well in the afternoon with no lines to deal with. Just a few weeks ago, I found a coffee bar that had GTS for $17.
AlaskanAg99
AG
tu ag said:

I have found exactly 2 Blantons and 1 Stagg Jr anywhere at anytime in the last 7 years.

It has gotten ridiculous. I am still nursing that Stagg like it was my last child. I have never even tried a sip of a single BTAC (or OFBB, etc.) of any kind, anywhere, because I can't bring myself to pay $80 for a finger of bourbon.

Will blow your mind but BTAC used to be $80 a bottle. It would take me 3 different store visits to get them all when they were released. VW10yr at $40 and 12 year around $50.
tu ag
AG
In CS. We don't get "drops".
We get "drips" to the "connected" taters.
trouble
AG
I don't have that one for sure.

I can add you to a couple local Facebook groups though
trouble
AG
I resemble that remark

I'm not a tater though. I'm just happy when someone thinks of me.
AgCzar
AG
It wasn't on the shelf, but I got this for $79 at my local store this evening.

I've lived here for three years now, but never got anything like this until last year. I just make sure to buy my wine, bubbles, or anything else there and always ask the guys about their weekend, their family, and chat for a few minutes when I go in.

Once they started giving me some stuff I always made sure to let them know how it was and some tasting notes. They appreciate seeing how much I enjoyed it and getting some info about the bottle to share with other customers. Now that I'm more comfort with them I'll take them a sample of the bottles they're excited about like the new OF 1924 that just came out.

I rarely ask them if they have anything, just try to be friendly. It's taken a long time to get to the point where they just bring out a bottle like this for me, but they've hooked me up with some amazing bottles the past six months.

I know many of y'all have built good relationships with your LLS already, but I hope this helps some of y'all just starting your bourbon collection or hoping to land some great bottles for the first time.

Make friends with the people. Share about the regular bottles and store picks to show them you genuinely enjoy bourbon and aren't just flipping. Then let them know how much you appreciate it when they give you something.

Happy hunting Ags

ChoppinDs40
AG
nice white ice granite. we have the same on our patio.
AgCzar
AG
Thanks, we love it. My outdoor kitchen and patio is practically the opposite - black leathered granite with very subtle streaks. I might like it even more than this countertop.
Aggie Therapist
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

nice white ice granite. we have the same on our patio.

Oh look at me I'm rich
ConfidentAg
AG
Drinking WT101 and watching SLB on YouTube.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Stop being a nerd.

Fill that glass with Old Crow and put on the Ags DAMMIT!
tripperwill
AG
What's SLB?
First Page Last Page
Page 1047 of 1234

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.