Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,435,202 Views | 43178 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a bit overplayed. All of us get bourbon through various means.

Someone here buy it off secondary and then post "look what I found on the shelf." Some take employees out to lunch and bring them food during their shift. Some blow the manager in the back. Some people enjoy standing in line for a couple days drinking with their friends for a big drop. Some have a connection with their local mom and pop that they get their bottles from.

It's all gooood.
AgCzar
AG
Assuming George T Stagg and not the Stagg Jr. because $800 for Stagg would be insane.
KDubAg
AG
I'll ask when I go back. Still learning all the variations.
AgDev01
AG
I don't really have an opinion on the Spec's drops but i do wish they would fix their ****ing search so that you can check all local stores rather than just one at a time.

Im happy to stop into a store and see what is on the shelf but that is about the extent of my effort. If folks want to put in more effort than that and are rewarded for it, good for them.

I switched to bourbon 20+ year ago because it was cheap and available. That certainly isn't the case anymore and I don't care to keep up with whatever new label of rebranded MGP is on the shelf. I'll just stick to the readily available old favorites if i do drink bourbon but these days all i really buy is American Single Malts, which so far even the best bottles will just linger on the shelf.
AgDev01
AG
George T Stagg comes in basically a wine bottle. Stagg jr (or now just Stagg) is in a more stock bottle and just says STAGG on the label. Secondary for GTS is around 800. Secondary for Stagg is around 150-200? not quite sure of the current rate.
Aggie Therapist
AG
AgDev01 said:

I don't really have an opinion on the Spec's drops but i do wish they would fix their ****ing search so that you can check all local stores rather than just one at a time.

Im happy to stop into a store and see what is on the shelf but that is about the extent of my effort. If folks want to put in more effort than that and are rewarded for it, good for them.

I switched to bourbon 20+ year ago because it was cheap and available. That certainly isn't the case anymore and I don't care to keep up with whatever new label of rebranded MGP is on the shelf. I'll just stick to the readily available old favorites if i do drink bourbon but these days all i really buy is American Single Malts, which so far even the best bottles will just linger on the shelf.

There is so much trash on the shelf at TW/Specs.

On a good day I'm happy to walk out with a bottle Fortaleza.
KDubAg
AG
How's the Henry McKenna?
Tksymm7
AG
Idk if they haggle much, but if you could get them closer to 150 for the Stagg, I would walk out with that one.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Not worth $75 that's for sure.

It's sitting on the shelves for MSRP.
reedsterg
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

AgDev01 said:

There is so much trash on the shelf at TW/Specs.

On a good day I'm happy to walk out with a bottle Fortaleza.
When is the last time you saw a Fortaleza on the shelf?
Aggie Therapist
AG
Like two weeks ago at Total Wine.
Ornithopter
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Not worth $75 that's for sure.

It's sitting on the shelves for MSRP.

I really like it, I'd say it's worth $60 though.
AgCzar
AG
I really enjoy the McKenna because I'm a heaven hill fan, but it's a SiB so it can vary. I have two bottles currently, one is good and one is phenomenal. So you're taking a chance, but if you're lucky you'll be glad you got it.

AT is right though, they are more available than they used to be and you may be able to find it cheaper. I'm personally not going to hate it at $74 though because current msrp is $67-$69.
FTAco07
AG
I haven't seen Fortaleza on the shelf in two years. I've found more Blantons, OWA, and W12 on shelves than Fortaleza.
reedsterg
AG
FTAco07 said:

I haven't seen Fortaleza on the shelf in two years. I've found more Blantons, OWA, and W12 on shelves than Fortaleza.
Same here, I make a lap down the tequila aisle every time I'm in a store just to check and never see it.
Aggie Therapist
AG
FTAco07 said:

I literally have the opposite problem lmao
Aggie Therapist
AG
It wasn't in the tequila aisle. It was on the end cap shelves facing the register.

I miss stuff on the end caps all the time unless I see someone with a bottle walking around and ask "hey where did you find that".
aggiebrother33
Not sure where you are located but quite a bit of stores around houston have that McKenna 10 for $50ish. That case looks eerily familiar to a small liquor store on the west side just inside bw8 if I am not mistaken
FireJimbonow
Specs on highway 6 and huffmeister has a lot of stuff out today apparently.

If anyone is able to go and wants to get a bottle of EHT for me I would be grateful
Phat32
AG
What are everyone's overrated high $ bottles (over $400 secondary)?

For me they are:

CYPB
Weller SiB
OFBB
ORVW
FancyKetchup14
AG
I never was the biggest fan of finished bourbons, but High West has that process down. If you can get a store pick from them, I highly recommend it.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Phat32 said:

For me they are:

CYPB
Weller SiB
OFBB
ORVW

Agree with all except ORVW. That's a damn good pour.
aggiebrother33
Phat32 said:

For me they are:

CYPB
Weller SiB
OFBB
ORVW

Weirdly I like the CYPB, over the likes of W12 and other offerings. The SiB I still have yet to figure out why it's so expensive. Agree that it by no means warrants the cost IMO
Aggie Therapist
AG
CYPB is fantastic!
Tksymm7
AG
I just picked up a single barrel and a larceny barrel proof. Appreciate your heads up!
Aggie Therapist
AG
Sounds like it's raining EHT and Heaven Hill products
Tksymm7
AG
I was on my way home from work this afternoon (couldn't sit in the office any longer with this weather), and said F it, I'm tired of striking out lol.
Naveronski
AG
I'm not a fan in general of having to source bottles from the secondhand market, etc.

Free market should be raising prices until the scalper's economic incentive is removed.
AgDev01
AG
Im not a fan of the secondary market and don't participate but it is hard to deny that it does make things available to folks who are willing to spend the money.

I also don't think it is as easy as raising prices. Prices have been going up across the board yet Buffalo Trace, while raising prices, certainly hasn't increased them enough to find an equilibrium. Part of that is because the scarcity adds so much to their desirability.

If they raise prices to the point where EHT SB is now regularly on the shelf at most places for 125 or so are people going to buy it or will they buy it once or twice then eventually start going with something else that is a bit cheaper? I think once people get used to seeing it they would start to choose other things especially if it is well over the current MSRP. See McKenna 10 or HH BiB as examples. Even ECBP is quickly getting there as well. I've certainly bought bottles that i didn't really want but had to get just because i could. FOMO is real.
Tksymm7
AG
FOMO and the fear of passing up a bottle you might not see again for 6 months.

Also in full disclosure, I got the Larceny and EHT Single Barrel for basically $65.00 a piece. Which I would assume is MSRP or dang near it.
AgDev01
AG
and at those prices i would happily buy both regularly.
Bulldog73
AG
Nothing that I could get my hands on around me.
FLATOUT
AG
Today's purchases:

2023 Michters Bomberger's
WFP
CYPB
W12
ER10

jetch17
AG
FLATOUT with the sac drag
HardRockAg
AG
At a conference in San Diego. Found Bookers at the bar.
Tony Watson Watsonmonumentco.com
First Page Last Page
Page 1043 of 1234

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.