Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,882,071 Views | 38852 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by AgDev01
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SpiderDude
jetch17
AG
Found BT & ER10 swill easily today and picked up one of each for weekend dickery
agcrock2005
AG
schwack schwack said:

Specs in College Station had BT on the shelf yesterday.
Might be in the minority but I appreciate this comment. If I lived in CS I would have immediately gone to grab some because I can't get it where I live.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Dallas Fine Wine at Oak Lawn & Lemmon had the following as of this afternoon:

WSR $27
BT $30
EHTSmB $70 or $80 (I didn't bother having them price check cause I think it can be found at some Goody Goody's for $40)
Four Roses Single Barrel - can't remember the price but it struck me as about $10 more than Total Wine/Specs

Probably had some other stuff in the back. I think I heard them say they had some Stagg Jr for $100

I'm still fairly new to the game so not sure what else is hard to find but I also saw Elijah Craig Single Barrel on the shelf.

All in all a pretty good selection but slightly pricier than the mega box stores.

Hope it's kosher to give store reports like this.
turfman80
AG
Birthday present from my brother
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
CactusThomas
AG
That 18 year is tough to beat. Wish I had another bottle.
aggiebonzo
AG
Want stock my cabinet with some good bourbon? What do y'all recommend that can easily be found at specs?
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Want stock my cabinet with some good bourbon? What do y'all recommend that can easily be found at specs?
Unfortunately, good & easily found ones are getting harder & harder to find.
Buck Compton
AG
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Plenty is still out there, just maybe not at a $20 price point. I guess I'm tired of this "woe is me" mentality I keep seeing on here that makes people new to things seem like nothing they see on a shelf is going to be quality.

Most Specs are still going to have eagle rare, buffalo trace, OF1920, OGD114, Basil Haydens (sometimes even the rye or 10 year), Russels Reserve 10 year, Four Roses Small Batch / Single barrel, etc.. All of which are pretty good and don't have to be hunted. We just need to get over that the days of buying Pappy at retail are basically gone and not coming back.

Bonzo, I recommend buying one or two and seeing what you like. Look up their flavor profiles (since you're new to it, you won't be able to distiguish much) and find other products that are similar but have a few differences. You'll be able to hone in on what you like. If you don't see one of the ones on my list, just ask an associate. My daily drinkers that I open up to any guests, etc. are the OF1920 and Russell's Reserve (regular or 10 year). Both solid bourbons, always can be found, even if OF1920 is overpriced for what it is.

Funny thing is, you can actually order like half of this directly from Spec's online now (delivered to your door) if there is a Spec's in your county.
John Francis Donaghy
Agree woth Buck. Yes, the days of shelves full of the worlds best bourbons for under $75/bottle are gone. But the great thing about bourbon is there lots of really really good ones made at distilleries not named Buffalo Trace that can still be found easily at any well stocked store.

Elijah Craig Small Batch
Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel
Old Grand Dad 114
Larceny
Bookers
Bakers
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Knob Creek
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Russels Reserve

Buffalo Trace products are good, but they really aren't any better than Heaven Hill, Four Roses, or Beam products. They just have the trickle-down effects of Pappy mania. When people are "hunting" for sub-$20/bottle mixing bourbon just because it's made at the same distillery that makes Pappy, you know the Buffalo Trace shark has long since been jumped. Stick the other distilleries, and you'll have no problem keeping your bar stocked with great bourbon.
aggiebonzo
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions!
SpiderDude
AG
Well said. Good list. That's why I believe you can find the best "value" in the $50-$75 price range (sometimes even less than that). Once you go beyond that price point you're paying significantly more for product that is only marginally better...if it's even that.
aggielostinETX
AG
SpiderDude said:

Well said. Good list. That's why I believe you can find the best "value" in the $50-$75 price range (sometimes even less than that). Once you go beyond that price point you're paying significantly more for product that is only marginally better...if it's even that.
I think most of the WP stuff under $100 is worth it, until the taters take over.
schwack schwack
AG
Henry McKenna Bottled-in-Bond Single Barrel is very highly rated. It used to be everywhere & around $25-ish. I was never crazy about it & now it's pretty impossible to find (in Dallas at least).
Farmer1906
AG
I don't get the love for it at all.
Superdave1993
AG
One $20 bottle that I have about 5-6 of is last years Jim Beam Distillers Cut. It is better than white label and different than black. You can still find it at several,store and to me is a pretty good value.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you take a step back at it and look purely at what the McKenna BiB is by the numbers it's a great damn value and a good bourbon.

10 year, 100 proof whiskey for 30 dollars is awesome

No it's not the best thing ever nor worth the stupid hype it's gotten twice for winning in San Fran

But it's a solid no frills bourbon in a market full of gimmicks right now.
CactusThomas
AG
I think that McKenna BiB is excellent. Well balanced bourbon, good age. Price is right.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

10 year, 100 proof whiskey for 30 dollars is awesome

True.
RaylanGivens
Buck Compton said:

schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Most Specs are still going to have eagle rare, ...

What Specs are you shopping at, and was it in the last year?
CactusThomas
AG
Specs is the only place I've ever been to that doesn't put Eagle Rare on the shelf. Its everywhere down here except specs.
Buck Compton
AG
RaylanGivens said:

Buck Compton said:

schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Most Specs are still going to have eagle rare, ...

What Specs are you shopping at, and was it in the last year?
Multiple times within the last year. The big one at walnut hill and 75 in Dallas when I visit the in laws who live in that area. I've also got one each from the Twin Liquors and the Spec's in New Braunfels where I live now.

Even got a huge 1.75L ER. You literally just go ask the guy for one and he goes and gets it. You're limited to one, but I'm not hoarding it so who cares. I keep it in the rotation, but I also don't care if I don't, I listed plenty of other good stuff to find on the shelf.
RaylanGivens
Good to know, rarely see it now here in Houston. when you do, it flys off the shelf.
Credible Source
AG
RaylanGivens said:

Good to know, rarely see it now here in Houston. when you do, it flys off the shelf.

This is a badass handle!
Farmer1906
AG
Ending the lent fasting.
CactusThomas
AG
On Maundy Thursday?
CactusThomas
AG
Either way, that's the way to do it.
agcrock2005
AG
Buffalo Trace/Eagle Rare hit Goody Goody locations in DFW today. Only those two. No other BT products and you can get one of each only.
Post removed:
by user
jetch17
AG
JFC
Fall92
AG
Good Lord.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
tx4guns
AG
Glad I like Mellow Corn and Wild Turkey.
agcrock2005
AG
third coast.. said:

Holy **** they are limiting how much buffalo trace you can buy?
Yep. Told buddy I office with about 20 minutes later and he went and got the last Eagle Rare. They got the shipment today. They got 3 bottles. Crazy. I asked the guy how many bottles of BT they got and he said 12. Will be gone by tonight I'm sure.
aggiemike89
AG
Every time another BT product gets allocated, I'm thinking this s**t can't get any crazier. First it was Blantons, then W12, and OWA. Then RHF. Now regular BT and ER. SMH. This is nuts.
First Page Last Page
Page 368 of 1111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.