Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,870,062 Views | 38702 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by calebbogie
Colt98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found a bottle of eagle rare today. I'm about to pop it open and give it a try. Also the little shop had some Stagg Jr. Didn't really want to buy it but it's a new a store and I wanted to throw the guy a bone and get on his good side. He getting a bottle of BTAC next week and he's going to hold it for me
steve00
AG
Sounds like you made a good decision if it is getting you a BTAC.

As far as I can tell, there are three ways to get BTAC and PVW
- be lucky
- have a relationship with a store that will hook you up
- pay an obscene markup

I haven't gotten lucky yet, so I'm stuck with the other two options.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
If Austin people are looking for Balcones Single Malt or Elmer T Lee, South Lamar Wine and Spirits had some when I left. If you ask nicely they may tell you about some other things in the back that they aren't advertising.

We must have been there about the same time. Probably best selection in town.

What all does he keep in the back?
Seems to me that they are slowly trickling out all the BTAC that they already have; so who knows what all they have back there. Hell, they just released some cellared beers tonight that I would have loved to have had the chance to purchase while dropping a few hundred dollars there.

I picked up the last bottle of ETLee SB that was in the glass case, and while I was checking out someone else came in looking for one. He went and grabbed one out of the back and brought out a little bottle that he says his distributor asked them not to tweet about.

King Liquor on Burnet also has a great selection. Grackle is solid as far as bars go.

quote:
Any thoughts on the Balcones Baby Blue? I know very little about Balcones, other than it always seems hard to find. My beer guy told me today I could have a bottle, if interested.
I really like it. As someone else stated it is a bit sweeter. Anxious to see how the single malt compares.
NoneGiven
AG
Sola just released another bottle of pappy 12.
Aggiejue
AG
What are you sipping for Repeal Day? 2013 ORVW 107 is my choice! Enjoy!

steve00
AG
I had a 2014 ORVW 10 as well earlier with some homemade pretzel bites and beer cheese (Stone Double ******* was the beer). Now hitting some 2013 Sazerac 18 rye. Haven't found any 2014 yet.
Post removed:
by user
CrottyKid
AG
Just moved to Kentucky. They are very proud of bourbon.
steve00
AG
Had some AH Hirsch and PVW23. Both were great, but the combination of value and taste makes ORVW a solid comparison.
K Bo
AG
Picked up a bottle of Woodford Sonoma-Cutrer Finish yesterday because, well, I'm addicted to buying whisk(e)y. I've read mixed reviews but haven't had a chance to dig in, yet. Reached for the PVW 15 clone last night, instead.

Anyone have thoughts on the Woodford?
joshwayne330
PVW15 clone??
K Bo
AG
I guess that's a poor choice of words. I was referring to the 60/40 OWA/W12 "poor man's pappy".
dmart90
AG
I got to do a little tasting this week:

* Parker's Heritage... cask strength wheater - Very strong, strong alcohol taste and smell, once the alcohol taste passes, lots of interesting flavors. Not my favorite.
* Eagle Rare 17 - from '11. Really nice and smooth, quite flavorful. Definitely a step up from the ER 10.
* Old Van Winkle 12 - WOW! Talk about smooth and flavorful!
* Four Roses LE Small Batch Barrel Strength - Very tasty and smooth - nice lingering maple/mint flavors.
* Pappy 15 - Really nice, but I thought the Van Winkle 12 was better...
* George T Stagg - this year's release. Holy Mother of God this is good! It's likely the hottest bourbon I have ever had but it did not taste like alcohol at all. And it was bursting with a variety of flavors after the heat died. Simply incredible.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
I got to do a little tasting this week:

* Parker's Heritage... cask strength wheater - Very strong, strong alcohol taste and smell, once the alcohol taste passes, lots of interesting flavors. Not my favorite.
* Eagle Rare 17 - from '11. Really nice and smooth, quite flavorful. Definitely a step up from the ER 10.
* Old Van Winkle 12 - WOW! Talk about smooth and flavorful!
* Four Roses LE Small Batch Barrel Strength - Very tasty and smooth - nice lingering maple/mint flavors.
* Pappy 15 - Really nice, but I thought the Van Winkle 12 was better...
* George T Stagg - this year's release. Holy Mother of God this is good! It's likely the hottest bourbon I have ever had but it did not taste like alcohol at all. And it was bursting with a variety of flavors after the heat died. Simply incredible.
Good to hear on the '14 Stagg! I'm waiting on the house purchase and move to open this one up!
FlyFish95
quote:
I'm addicted to buying whiskey
Tell me about it...
iPanic
AG
I had a pretty good haul on Saturday all things considered.

Balcones Rumble - Extremely smoky. Opens up on ice. Can't decide how much like this one. I'm not used to drinking something over powering in smoke flavor.

Makers Mark Cask Strength - Love this one. Very Strong finish (113 proof) , with the distinct makers mark flavor.

Balcones Baby - Not as smooth as I thought it would be but really good. Vanilla and sweet flavors.
bforrests
iPanic - do the new Balcones bottles have a really narrow top/neck? I saw a new one in a somewhat shady liquor store and it almost looked bootleg, not to mention the Baby Blue was incredibly light in color.
iPanic
AG
Here you go.

jsn1986
AG
^^ Had a similar pull on Friday. Balcones Rumble, Single Malt, and the MMCS. Think i might try and swap the Balcones for something else.... still excited.
joshwayne330
Maybe I am in the minority, but I haven't found a Balcones product I care to drink.
htxag09
AG
quote:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I haven't found a Balcones product I care to drink.

Agreed.
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Same here. Their single malt was not agreeable to my taste buds at all, but I also typically disdain scotch too.
Colt98
AG
Have any of you tried BT experimental collection, or BT single oak project? Saw them in the store today.
FriedTex
AG
Is Evan Williams SB a good cheap bourbon? Just curious
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Yes, it is a good pour and one of the better values on the market.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, it is a good pour and one of the better values on the market.
Seconded.
FriedTex
AG
It was recommended off a new whisky app I found "distiller" is why I ask - pretty sweet app IMO
joshwayne330
EWSB almost drinks too easy. Wish HH would bump the proof to 100. Wait they did, it's called Henry McKenna
htxag09
AG
Is Breckinridge any good? I'm in Denver for work (here once a month) and I see it all over. I'll try it eventually but they're pretty proud of it...
TxKng82
AG
quote:
Have any of you tried BT experimental collection, or BT single oak project? Saw them in the store today.

Personally I dont think they are worth the price. That being said, I really enjoyed the single oak project bottle I had. Just wouldnt pay $55 for a small bottle not knowing what Im gonna get. The only reason I bought mine was because it came with a Van Winkle 10yr
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Is Breckinridge any good? I'm in Denver for work (here once a month) and I see it all over. I'll try it eventually but they're pretty proud of it...
I don't think its that great personally
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Craft Beer is making me fat...

What's a good sipping Bourbon to get started on? Something not cheap but also not outrageously priced. Somewhere in the extra medium price range.
austinag1997
AG
Blantons is a good place to start.
tfunk02
AG
quote:
Craft Beer is making me fat...

What's a good sipping Bourbon to get started on? Something not cheap but also not outrageously priced. Somewhere in the extra medium price range.

I'd say Buffalo Trace. I'm not a huge fan of Blantons.
tx4guns
AG
Elijah Craig 12
Elmer T Lee
Angels Envy
Weller 12
Bookers (add ice)
Willett Pot Still

Those are ones you'll find in the store.
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.