Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,452 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by trouble
joshwayne330
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went with OESO. It was the oldest barrel, but lowest proof.
aggiemike89
AG
Yeah Ducks. Is that stuff on the shelves yet?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
That pic was from the release! I have not seen it yet on shelves.

Crazy that 2013 will still probably be available when 2014 hits.
youandwhosearmy
Picked up a bottle of FRSB tonight. Interesting first sips, will have to update when i finish a couple glasses.

Not overly impressed, but enjoying it so far. Quite a bit of spice so far..
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Did Black Maple Hill ever makes it way back to Houston?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
They stopped bottling the BMH that started all the hype few (couple?) years ago.
Señor Chang
AG
This is from the Gabriel's ad this week. A few things wrong with this. Last year, I never saw any Pappy 15 there, but the ORVW was 800 and the Pappy Special Reserve was 1000. And if I'm reading that ad correctly, they're saying that Garrison is as good or better than Pappy?

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
They stopped bottling the BMH that started all the hype few (couple?) years ago.

Dang.
Icecream_Ag
S
remind me on Stagg Jr.

Picked some up from Goody Goody the other day and had my first pour. The first couple of sips were freaking hot. Is it just that spicy generally or did I get a spicy barrel.
FlyFish95
quote:
This is from the Gabriel's ad this week. A few things wrong with this. Last year, I never saw any Pappy 15 there, but the ORVW was 800 and the Pappy Special Reserve was 1000.

Geez. I got hte 12yr Lot B and ORVW for about $75 last year.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
remind me on Stagg Jr.

Picked some up from Goody Goody the other day and had my first pour. The first couple of sips were freaking hot. Is it just that spicy generally or did I get a spicy barrel.

That's just the way it tastes. I don't like it neat.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

I tried some of the new stuff, and it is one of the worst bourbons I have ever tasted. I have no idea how someone actually bottled that stuff. I would rather lick a cats ass then drink a glass of it.

FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

I tried some of the new stuff, and it is one of the worst bourbons I have ever tasted. I have no idea how someone actually bottled that stuff. I would rather lick a cats ass then drink a glass of it.

Now that's a creative way of saying you don't like something...
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:

And it's probably flying off shelves by folks that don't know any better.
joshwayne330
quote:

The bottles that created all the hype haven't been bottled for 10-18 years ago.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Meh. I enjoyed the bottle I had a couple of years ago.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
That wasn't a knock on you.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:
remind me on Stagg Jr.

That's just the way it tastes. I don't like it neat.
I have both the 134 proof and 127

Just finished the 134 and you are right, its too hot. I pour a little water in it to mellow that beast out. Its not a bottle I would buy again
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Meh. I enjoyed the bottle I had a couple of years ago.
The BMH from a few years ago was generic sourced bourbon, probably from Heaven Hill or somewhere similar in Kentucky. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was still good stuff.

the current BMH is from some new distillery in Oregon, and it is worse than any rotgut bottom shelf swill I have ever tried.
Whoop04
I bought 3 private collection Four Roses tonight: OBSV, OESO, and OBSK at the Specs in Austin on mopac. They had all 10 options. It's going to take me awhile to decide how to rank them all.
austinag1997
AG
I actually really like the 134 proof Stagg Jr. I add a few ice chips to it... and it doesn't bother me too much.

I haven't had the 127 proof bottling yet, but I wouldn't describe the 134 proof bottle as spicy. It has a lot of fudge/chocolate flavor to it. I understand those that say it is too hot. I actually prefer barrel proof bourbons, though.
the dude10
AG
Whoop,

Let me know which of those you enjoy most. I am definitely going to make my way over there and pick up a bottle or two.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I actually really like the 134 proof Stagg Jr. I add a few ice chips to it... and it doesn't bother me too much.

I haven't had the 127 proof bottling yet, but I wouldn't describe the 134 proof bottle as spicy. It has a lot of fudge/chocolate flavor to it. I understand those that say it is too hot. I actually prefer barrel proof bourbons, though.
I've got the 128 proof, definitely hot, but a couple ice cubes mellowed it out at the end of the glass
Aggiejue
AG
I just received a call saying my bottle of 2014 LE Single Barrel was in. I guess TABC finally finished whatever they were doing. I will be picking up tomorrow and waiting on the OF Birthday Bourbon and PHC Wheater with my fingers crossed.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
I just received a call saying my bottle of 2014 LE Single Barrel was in. I guess TABC finally finished whatever they were doing. I will be picking up tomorrow and waiting on the OF Birthday Bourbon and PHC Wheater with my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the report... will start looking myself.
Aggiejue
AG
If anyone in the SA area is searching for a 2014 LE Single Barrel, I may be able to help tomorrow. I picked up my bottle a few minutes ago and I'm looking forward to the side-by-side comparison with last years. Unfortunately, the bourbon boom costed me an extra $20 this year.
FlyFish95
Where did you get it?
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
Where did you get it?
Spec's on DeZavala in San Antonio.
the dude10
AG
Just got 2 bottles of the private selection at specs on mopac in Austin (OBSQ and OESV) and they still didn't have the LE. These private selection bottles are pretty awesome tho!
FlyFish95
Were you on a list at Specs or did you just walk in and grab it? I hear Specs and Goody Goody are getting a fairly large supply this year.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
Were you on a list at Specs or did you just walk in and grab it? I hear Specs and Goody Goody are getting a fairly large supply this year.
No list according to the store personnel. I started inquiring a few months ago and when it came in, they earmarked a bottle for me. I think around 10-15, 3-pack cases made it to SA.
aggiemike89
AG
I called specs in cypress. Clerk told me they didn't have any and she looked at the stock on the computer. Said they were -20 showing in the system. She wasn't much help.
austinag1997
AG
That's BS. I bought two bottles from Specs this morning.
FriedTex
AG
Just cracked the 127 Stagg jr. I like it pretty well, could be that the lower proof makes it a tad milder. I add some water to open it up a bit still, that helped for sure
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
That's BS. I bought two bottles from Specs this morning.
What's the difference in proofs on your bottles? The one I picked up is 113. Supposedly they range between 108 and 120.
First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.