Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,028 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by betadawg1
aggiemike89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Specs here in Houston is so full of s**t. I just left the cypress store and they don't show any allocated to Houston. WTF?
FlyFish95
Specs is awful.
austinag1997
AG
That may be correct, actually. The only location that it showed in their system was the Round Rock location. I had time to run up there yesterday morning.
austinag1997
AG
I thought that was the only location locally, but maybe Specs Texas-wide.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
What's the difference in proofs on your bottles? The one I picked up is 113. Supposedly they range between 108 and 120.

Mine are both 113.8 proof. Both from the same barrel... 47-2J.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Specs is awful.
I have had my share of bad experiences, although I have had some good help at the main Specs location in Austin. Fairly helpful.

Local stores are far better.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
I was at the Specs on Smith Street in Houston this week and they must have had 50 bottles of private selection stuff. See if they can ship some to you.
oneoutofmany
AG
Here's my Specs story from a recent visit. Walked in and looked for the employee I usually chat with when looking for bourbon or other whiskey. He saw me first and asked what I was after this time. On this trip, I was there to ask whether or not they'd be receiving any Elijah Craig 23 and whether or not they'd be allocating the heck out of it like some of the other stores in their chain. He affirmed my assumption. While expressing my displeasure with their system and telling him that, while I do spend money in his store, I will never be one of their big spenders, he happened to bring up the Four Roses LE. I then asked if that had already come and gone because I hadn't heard about it anywhere in my area. He said yes and that I should have had my name on his list. I said I did in fact ask him to put my name on his list for that offering. He seemed unconvinced but said he'd check for me. We looked and, sure enough, there was my name and phone # on his list. And, just in case any of y'all are curious, the list wasn't very long. He could tell I was unhappy but I told him I understood. I don't like it but there's not much I can do about it. I'm not going to drop $1K on bourbon or anything else in one trip like some folks he mentioned. I was about to leave but he told me to hang on a minute and he disappeared into the back. When he reappeared, he was a holding a bottle of Four Roses LE and asked if that would make me happy. Yeah, of course I was happy to walk out with it. I can't complain. Still, well, never mind. I should just be happy I got a bottle.
Mathguy64
AG
^
|
|

That's a chicken **** store manager. If you want to keep a list because you have a low allocation, fine. Just be up front with your customers. And you damn well better be fair about that list. If you have extra then put it on the shelf so everyone sees it. This guy's playing games or got caught saving a bottle for himself or a friend.
FlyFish95
I have a handful of stores that I deal with that are honest, but the rest of them are so sketchy. I'm ok with them holding the allocated stuff for their best customers, but at least tell me that. Don't bs me.
FlyFish95
Regarding Specs, they're either liars or completely clueless.
oneoutofmany
AG
quote:
I have a handful of stores that I deal with that are honest, but the rest of them are so sketchy. I'm ok with them holding the allocated stuff for their best customers, but at least tell me that. Don't bs me.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. What's hard here is that the smaller local guys can't get the harder to find stuff at all, not even accounting for Pappy. Places like Specs, Total Wine, or Goody Goody are about the best I can hope for if I want the higher end stuff. I agree that they can handle it however they want. I just want them to tell me the rules and stick by them. Perhaps too much to ask.
schmellba99
AG
tx4guns was nice enough to share with me some Heaven Hill Select Stock over the weekend and some 4R LE.

Holy hells bells, that HHSS is some of the absolute best bourbon I've ever had. Not overly complex, but smoking good. It was 131 proof (or thereabouts), but drank like an 80 proofer - smooth as silk going down and the high proof didn't give it any bite or burn. tx4guns and I have different palates and flavor profile likes, but both of us loved this stuff.

The 4R LE was almost as good. A lot spicier on the tongue than the HHSS, but not overpoweringly so. Completely different juice and profile, but a really amazing pour.

I also liked the SA Fault Line blend. Pretty unique taste, in a good way.
tx4guns
AG
No mention of the 1980'a era Stitzel-Weller samples?
schmellba99
AG
I didn't want to sound like a braggart.
joshwayne330
I need to find friends like tx4guns.....
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
I bought 3 private collection Four Roses tonight: OBSV, OESO, and OBSK at the Specs in Austin on mopac. They had all 10 options. It's going to take me awhile to decide how to rank them all.

My buddy picked up several bottles for me over the last couple weeks, but the labels were a little smudged by the time he got them to me.

Could you post the barrel numbers from the front of your bottle, along with the recipe from Specs label?
joshwayne330
OESO is barrel 31-1F and 51.6%
Whoop04
Recipe, alcohol, warehouse, barrel no.
OBSK, 58.7, QS, 88-3L
OBSV, 57.3, ME, 2-2N
OESO, 51.6, BN, 31-1F
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Bought a texas bourbon on a whim today, Red-Handed Bourbon Whiskey. Double barreled and bottled in Austin.

I'll knock it out this week as a daily drinker and never buy again. Drinking neat. Very weak finish. Vanilla crazy. Taste watered down.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Your mistake began at "texas"
Thomas Ford 91
AG
True. I was introduced to the F&R TX blended whiskey this weekend and enjoyed it. My mistake.
Atty_Ag
TF,

Read this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html
http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html
FriedTex
AG
An apology

When I first jumped on this thread I mentioned multiple times my appreciation for MM46 and how it was a wonderful bourbon.

After working through nearly all 50 dollar bourbon offerings I have come to a different conclusion. Having purchased a bottle of MM46 last week, I was surprised at how bad it tastes. my opinion now is that it tastes like I am drinking a cigarette - and that ain't a good thing
FlyFish95
Ok, so what's your list of the best $50 bourbons?
FriedTex
AG
Noah's Mill, FR SB barrel strength, Blantons, Jefferson Reserve, Angel Envy (though I know not a fan by all),

Cheaper ones: Elijah Craig 12yr, Woodford (shut up ) Larceny, Russel Reserve SB

Atty_Ag
Add Rock Hill Farms and that's a good list.
FlyFish95
I agree on Larceny but that's a $23 bottle and one of the best values out there.
GregZeppelin
AG
What Atty Ag said, Rock Hill Farms needs to be your next purchase. You won't be dissapointed.
AggieChemist
AG
The bottle of Jeffersons I bought in 2011 was garbage.
the dude10
AG
Up toward $50 I also really like colonol e.h. Taylor small batch and michters small batch. I am one of those who doesn't really care for angels envy but that is a solid list.
tx4guns
AG
Elmer T. Lee should be in that list.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
And now we've covered jus about every top shelf bottle at just about every strip center liquor store in the country.
Mathguy64
AG
I've bought lots of $50 (and I mean right at that price point). I've only rebought three on a regular basis. Blantons, ETL and Rock Hill Farms. What can I say? I'm a big fan of what Harlen Wheatley puts in and gets out of a barrel, not to mention what all the Master Distillers at BT have done over the years.
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.