Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,394 Views | 38696 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by MediAg13
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well known that's probably my fave almost always available pour.

Having a sip of the Cask KC Rye. Starting to get to the bottom and not seeing it on any shelves...
mazag08
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Naveronski said:

MarathonAg12 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Hood
Man, I'm going get off work and everything is going to be gone now.
That's a good price, but not panic buy.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/woodford-reserve-double-oaked-bourbon/p/120640750

Good to know. Thanks. Plus I went and checked after work and literally they were all gone.

Mazag??

Man, if double oaked starts becoming hard to find I'm going to lose my *****
Bunk Moreland
Hoping the recent trends of what I've seen on shelf are due to the holidays but if not I've already begun to see the next level of encroachment the last 60 days and it's not good. Bottles still to be had but nowhere near fully stocked of very basic solid grade + Mid-level good stuff.

Reminded me of the days of buying Eagle Rare like it was nbd 4-5 years ago, then like 6 months later it became an allocated "ask if they have any in the back" pick.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Man that sucks. It's crazy you can find stuff so much easier in other markets than Texas. I've lived in 2 other states now in the last handful of years and it's comical how I can throw a dart and find ER, and it's allocated and somewhat rare in Texas.
Bunk Moreland
Yep. When I travel for work I always laugh at what I can find walking into a random store.
MarathonAg12
Anyone ever have redbreast 12 year?

Is it worth the $50/$60?
SpiderDude
AG
Sazerac said:

Well known that's probably my fave almost always available pour.

Having a sip of the Cask KC Rye. Starting to get to the bottom and not seeing it on any shelves...

I have a backup bottle I might be willing to trade.
SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Is it worth the $50/$60?

I'd spend a bit more and get the cask strength.
CactusThomas
AG
SpiderDude said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Is it worth the $50/$60?

I'd spend a bit more and get BOURBON
SpiderDude
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Thoughts on Heaven Door? Total Wine has it very highly rated and they have some near me. I'm a novice still, but it's tempting.

I think it's overpriced for what it is. Could give two ****s that Bob Dylan is affiliated with em.
SpiderDude
AG
Lol. True.
lazuras_dc
AG
SpiderDude said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Is it worth the $50/$60?

I'd spend a bit more and get the cask strength.

I just had the cask strength the other night and it was pretty dang good
mazag08
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Is it worth the $50/$60?

Absolutely. But don't expect your typical bourbon oak. It's softer and more complex, but smooth as hell and oh so flavorful.
CTGilley
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Thoughts on Heaven Door? Total Wine has it very highly rated and they have some near me. I'm a novice still, but it's tempting.

It is good. One of my buddy's favorites. I think those that like lower proof love it.
Sazerac
AG
I'll let you know if I get desperate to require a trade. You'll have to include a kc120 as well. I know you have plenty!

I figure I'll find them in the wild over the next few months it's just annoying that they aren't in stock at the larger specs or total wine.
SpiderDude
AG
Here's a hint... try Twin. They're possibly still collecting dust at some locations. I've seen them stacked entire shelve widths before.
txags92
AG
Pac1698 said:

My wife and I have just started drinking bourbon after buying many bottles for family over the years. We just ordered a bar cabinet a few weeks ago and wanted to see if we could get some recommendations on what to fill it up with (both sippers and for mixing). I currently have a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Blanton's (coworker gave me a bottle), Maker's Mark 46, Old Forester 1920 and Bulleit 10 year. Appreciate the help!

Note: My wife enjoyed the MM46 and Buffalo Trace with coke, she did not care for the Bulleit 10 year.
If she liked the BT, give the Bulleit 95 Rye a try. Somewhat similar, yet more flavor and smoother IMO.
txags92
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Hoping the recent trends of what I've seen on shelf are due to the holidays but if not I've already begun to see the next level of encroachment the last 60 days and it's not good. Bottles still to be had but nowhere near fully stocked of very basic solid grade + Mid-level good stuff.

Reminded me of the days of buying Eagle Rare like it was nbd 4-5 years ago, then like 6 months later it became an allocated "ask if they have any in the back" pick.
I miss the days of being able to walk into Specs and buy Eagle Rare off the shelf.
mazag08
AG
txags92 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I miss the days of being able to walk into Specs and buy Eagle Rare off the shelf.

And Blantons, Bookers, Weller 12, EC18, etc.

Hell, the top shelf at Specs used to be so awesome I took it for granted. Everything was on the shelf.
MarathonAg12
mazag08 said:

txags92 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

And Blantons, Bookers, Weller 12, EC18, etc.

Hell, the top shelf at Specs used to be so awesome I took it for granted. Everything was on the shelf.

I blame social media
proc
AG
I blame the Japanese. Years ago, they tatered for Blanton's, creating a shortage and FOMO attitude that has extended to and even past the Buffalo Trace suntory products.
MW03
AG
We're all guilty to a certain extent. If I were to see Blantons, et al, on the shelf at MSRP, I'd buy it. I'm sure you all would, too.

It's a chicken and the egg problem, though. You have the hoarders and the resellers, and the ones who hoard to specifically resell. I don't begrudge anyone taking the opportunity to make a buck, it just makes it unfortunate for the rest of us that want to drink these things.
MarathonAg12
That and all the mom and pop liquor stores that take care of their "loyal customers" and don't even put it on the shelves.
stroodles
AG
How bad are Bourbon Deluxe, Bellows Straight Bourbon, or Black Box Whiskey? Are even worth using as a mixer?
Wheatables02
AG
stroodles said:

How bad are Bourbon Deluxe, Bellows Straight Bourbon, or Black Box Whiskey? Are even worth using as a mixer?
Bourbon Deluxe is good IMO.
MarathonAg12
Anyone ever pick up a Store Pick of Single Barrel GEORGE DICKEL 9YR SELECT?

Worth the cost? $57
Sazerac
AG
Hate Dickel
Bunk Moreland
Dickel isn't my favorite either.
txags92
AG
Sazerac said:

Hate Dickel
Username checks out...
MarathonAg12
Sazerac said:

Hate Dickel

Have you tried Sazerac?
Sazerac
AG
Love Sazerac 18!
Standard Sazerac is fine for cocktails
Aggie Hunter
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3179294

Can some one explain the ice stamp and how it works?
John Francis Donaghy
Aggie Hunter said:

It's a piece of metal, that melts a design into your ice cube. Once you use it, your ice cube will have an imprint of the design on the stamp. Once the ice melts, it will just be water and nobody will ever know there had been a design stamped into it back when it was still ice.
Aggie Hunter
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Aggie Hunter said:

It's a piece of metal, that melts a design into your ice cube. Once you use it, your ice cube will have an imprint of the design on the stamp. Once the ice melts, it will just be water and nobody will ever know there had been a design stamped into it back when it was still ice.

Do they work well? I assume you had to freeze it with stamp attached. Guess I can't see how just pushing it on (stamping) would actually make the design.
Naveronski
AG
No, it's a piece of metal, usually brass or copper, with the design on it.
Room temperature.
Warm metal melts ice in the shape of the design.

Edit: work well? Yes when it's fresh/warm. After a couple of uses the metal cools and you need to run it under warm water.

I don't own one, but watched a bartender use one at a bar here, then asked about it.
First Page Last Page
Page 579 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.