Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,439 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by trouble
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To each their own, every bottle that was something special I have I bought from a store I had a relationship with.

I don't go into random stores asking for allocated items expecting them to pull out something.
SpiderDude
AG
Sazerac said:

Found another GTS in Bandera, they only wanted $600!

Lots of Bookers, different batches @ $90

Get the Booker's. It's better. And don't doubt me. I literally just had a pour of GTS. It was good but for secondary.. meh.
AGdent07
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

To each their own, every bottle that was something special I have I bought from a store I had a relationship with.

I don't go into random stores asking for allocated items expecting them to pull out something.

Yeah I agree with that. I typically give my business to my local stores who I have a relationship with. However EC toasted for some reason is only at TW. I didn't expect to get any so I was surprised when they gave me one. Just didn't expect them to lie to my buddy when he asked for one a few minutes later. Only makes me less impressed with total wine.

Honestly the only reason I posted my find on here was so that any other Ags in the area could go get one or to give some people a heads up about their TW.
Sazerac
AG
I'm not paying $90 for Bookers either...
the dude10
AG
I like GTS a good bit better than bookers but value wise bookers wins out when looking at secondary pricing. Wouldn't pay $90 for bookers either
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Sazerac said:

I'm not paying $90 for Bookers either...

Booker's is a buy at Twin Liquors dollar sale. And Monkey 47. Only time I buy Booker's.
SpiderDude
AG
the dude10 said:

I like GTS a good bit better than bookers but value wise bookers wins out when looking at secondary pricing. Wouldn't pay $90 for bookers either

Hey... don't label me a Booker's *****! I literally went on a tear earlier about the value of KC120 over Booker's. Hell...I may never buy another Booker's the way they keep raising the ****ing price. It's like Jim Beam raises the price every year to test the price sensitivity of their "premier" BP option. F that! Give me KC120 all day every day!
SpiderDude
AG
EC shelfie...
SpiderDude
AG
Also me an hour ago...

Here's how I ranked them and my BiL agreed:
1. MWND
2. Stagg Jr. (Yeah... that's right... ahead of the next one)
3. GT Stagg
4. KC SB
5. 4R LE BP
Sadly #5 was my bottle. Really disappointed in the 4R especially considering what it cost me. That's ok tho. This was a good lesson for me and validated my long standing opinion that chasing IG famous bottles isn't the best approach. I'm telling y'all the sweet spot for bourbon is value bottles in the $50 range. Also... anything older than 15 years is all wood and not worth paying a premium.
SpiderDude
AG
Don't forget to vote for the candidate we can all agree on...

Fall92
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Excited for this one. Finished in a port barrel for 14 months.

I didn't realize there were variations on the finishing. I have the scotch finished.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Just had a pour of Blanton's from 1990. Man that was good.
SpiderDude
AG
Texas_Aggie91 said:

Just had a pour of Blanton's from 1990. Man that was good.

SpiderDude
AG
Another worthy 2020 T-Shirt...
the dude10
AG
SpiderDude said:

the dude10 said:

Hey... don't label me a Booker's *****! I literally went on a tear earlier about the value of KC120 over Booker's. Hell...I may never buy another Booker's the way they keep raising the ****ing price. It's like Jim Beam raises the price every year to test the price sensitivity of their "premier" BP option. F that! Give me KC120 all day every day!

Oh no labels in this thread man. Well, unless you are a flipper or like Garrison Bros I think lol
mazag08
AG
Fall92 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

I didn't realize there were variations on the finishing. I have the scotch finished.

My uncle was their distillery 3 weeks ago. He got scoffed at when he asked if they had any barrel finished bottles. All they sell at the distillery is the standard line. Pretty lame.
CharlieBrown17
AG
They do everything

Port
Rum
Rye
Barreled Manhattan
MWND barrels
Gin

Probably more, that's just what I've seen
Fall92
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

They do everything

Port
Rum
Rye
Barreled Manhattan
MWND barrels
Gin

Probably more, that's just what I've seen

Love me some MWND.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
AGdent07
AG
Worked through this lineup last night. The toasted finish makes these much sweeter. Michters toasted was the winner but followed very closely by EC toasted.
Johnsy3
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I have a rum finish Double Rye! that's suuuper tasty
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Good line up! Surprised at your ranking. That 122 proof ECBP is outstanding.
AgDev01
AG
Just saw the Little Book chapter 4 release on the shelf here in VA. I'm guessing it's out in other parts of the country as well.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
RHF is going for $300 on secondary
MW03
AG
Let me cast a vote for Knob Creek 120 as well. Enjoying a Total Wine pick, and it's a really great option at a whisker under $50. Totally different drink neat versus on the rocks, too. Lots of sweetness and caramel neat. Very oaky on the rocks. Lots to taste here for the price point, and I highly recommend it.
Sazerac
AG
Been looking for a reason to celebrate with a chapter 03 I scored. Have you had any of the versions?
CharlieBrown17
AG
2 is excellent

Have Ch 1 as well and haven't opened yet it
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Let me cast a vote for Knob Creek 120 as well. Enjoying a Total Wine pick, and it's a really great option at a whisker under $50. Totally different drink neat versus on the rocks, too. Lots of sweetness and caramel neat. Very oaky on the rocks. Lots to taste here for the price point, and I highly recommend it.

I been preaching about KC120 to anyone that will listen! Preach on preachah!!!

RenoAg
MW03 said:

This man. Speakin da truth. All yall newbies and taters chasin the hype - listen up. Or just get ya some Wild Turkey 101 for cheap and stay out the game and be happy. For bourbon it's the best advice to be had.

For ryes I'm not sure yet. High quality barrel strength ryes are just so good. Not sure there's a good available drinker for a barrel strength rye. Maybe there is. I'm ignorant about it though.

CharlieBrown17
AG
It'll cost more than KC120 but WP10 picks are pretty common and barrel strength.

Or the new rare breed rye once the new wears off.
ClickClack
AG
Sazerac said:

Been looking for a reason to celebrate with a chapter 03 I scored. Have you had any of the versions?

There's one #3 in stock near me (the only one in the state - state controlled liquor stores) for $125. Wondering if I should go snag it tomorrow..
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

It'll cost more than KC120 but WP10 picks are pretty common and barrel strength.

Rare Breed Rye is the truth. Get you some Rossville Union BP if you can also.
ILikeTacos
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Man WP10 is just not that good though compared to the WP12 and frankly the Piggyback.

I think Piggyback is the best accessible rye out there currently. It is over proof but I don't think "barrel strength". The packaging claims "distiller strength" whatever that means.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Weird to me you think they're that different.

The 10 is 100 proof and sourced from ADL. The 6 is something weird like 96 and a half....and sourced from ADL.

Feel free to not drink it, but the 10 year cask strength picks are excellent. I've always thought the 12 year was an overpriced bottle of meh, 86 proof.
jh0400
AG
I kind of agree on the 100 proof WP10, but the barrel picks can be great. There are some great 12-14 year MGP picks out there.
the dude10
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

WP10 picks are amazing. Love the willet 6-8 year ryes also but they are harder to find these days. Wish I had stocked up on more of the old scout ryes back in the day, those were on another level
First Page Last Page
Page 517 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.