Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,840,156 Views | 38438 Replies | Last: 59 min ago by Bulldog73
RaylanGivens
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the dude10 said:

For me it's actually knob creek. Every once in awhile I'm in the mood for it but typically it just hits very one-note for me. Feel the same way about McKenna 10.
taste buds are dead, gone, kaput, time a reset.
the dude10
AG
Haha there isn't anything bad about it, but whenever I reach for a bottle in the evening I never seem to grab it. Nothing about it pulls me back in. It has been well over a year since I last tried it though so maybe it's time to give it another shot.
SpiderDude
AG
Sazerac said:

No. I wouldn't.

Well. He did. Twin released a bunch as gift packages bundled with wine. I'm buying the 4R bundle. I'll also be the proud owner of a very nice bottle of wine.

Sazerac
AG
$180 for 4R! And you had to buy overpriced wine!

I would have done it for the Stagg though...

Noticed Twin started doing this as their restaurant business is suffering
FriedTex
AG
My question is how are they sitting in GTS since last October/November? Restaurant allocation that hasn't moved yet?
SpiderDude
AG
FriedTex said:

My question is how are they sitting in GTS since last October/November? Restaurant allocation that hasn't moved yet?

Probably so.
the dude10
AG
This at the Hancock location?
SpiderDude
AG
A magician never reveals their secrets.
the dude10
AG
Haha I called over there and they said they don't have any today but have heard some stores do. The search continues...
GarlandAg2012
AG

Picked this up today on recommendation of this thread. I think there are a couple more at the store I shop at. It's marked up $5-10 from MSRP like a lot of his stuff, but it's a local guy rather than a big store and he's a nice guy.
GarlandAg2012
AG
He also had a bottle of Remus Volstead Reserve, but wanted $250 for it. Is that reasonable?
HouseDivided06
AG
The Belle Meade CS is fantastic. So good. Looks like MSRP on the Remus Volstead is $200, so a 25% mark up there. Reviews seem solid but I think I would have a hard time dropping $250 on a 100 proof bottle, personally. Then again the most expensive bottle I have ever bought was $125 and I won't pay over retail so to each their own. From what I have read, if you come across it and have the money to drop on it, seems like a damn good bottle.
GarlandAg2012
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

The Belle Meade CS is fantastic. So good. Looks like MSRP on the Remus Volstead is $200, so a 25% mark up there. Reviews seem solid but I think I would have a hard time dropping $250 on a 100 proof bottle, personally. Then again the most expensive bottle I have ever bought was $125 and I won't pay over retail so to each their own. From what I have read, if you come across it and have the money to drop on it, seems like a damn good bottle.
Yeah I'm doing some research now and maybe he would mark it down some for me but it's his last one so probably not. Not sure I want to drop $250 on it but will think about it. The reviews do indeed seem strong to quite strong.
HouseDivided06
AG
Also looks like it is a limited one time release of 6,000 bottles. Probably will be hard to find again. Just something to consider. Tempting, I know.
62strat
AG
FriedTex said:

isn't it common for stores to hold stuff like this and sell it whenever they want?

I know the stores I shop at do.. one in particular announces on facebook they'll be putting something on the shelves hidden in the store.. something like blantons or GTS, and let people hunt to find it, hoping those that give up will end up leaving the store with something.

FriedTex
AG
No, common practice is to have a lottery or sell to $$$ patrons in the fall when it is released
62strat
AG
FriedTex said:

No, common practice is to have a lottery or sell to $$$ patrons in the fall when it is released
maybe it's regional thing.

Several stores near me sell highly allocated stuff outside of when they are released. one in particular actually has all that stuff on display in a case.. and they randomly do things to sell them throughout the year. And my local go to has ORVW in stock and sells it based on you getting 'house bucks'. Certain items that are $20-$40 will net you a few house bucks. After you get, I think it was $200 house bucks (about $3-4$k in total spend, on specific rotating items), you get a bottle of ORVW... like, not even pay for it.

Some dude actually just got it this week.
Gunner33
Ryan's Liquor in Spring has a similar program. You trade in your tickets in order buy allocated stuff at retail, and you turn them in twice a year for a raffle.
Fall92
AG
Ryan's is great. Good people. Ive bought a ton of allocated stuff there w tickets.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ornithopter
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is sounding like it's an oakier, spicier Woodford Double Oaked.

Good thing it will be almost impossible to find.

I just scored one. I'll break it out tonight and share my thoughts.

I tried that last night with a friend. We both thought it had a weird aftertaste. It wasn't bad, but odd.
AgDev01
AG
Going to head to the store tomorrow. ABC 20 miles north of me has the EC Toasted Barrel in stock while a store 20 miles south has 1792 Full Proof. Any suggestions as to which i should pick up? Havent tried either but am a fan of every other 1792 i have had.
LPHA
AG
I'd go for the toasted barrel out of those two. I wasn't a huge fan of 1792 FP, but if you like the rest of their stuff, you may prefer that one
Sazerac
AG
Just saw GTS on a shelf for $799!
HouseDivided06
AG
Is the 1792 FP a store pick? If so, I'd grab it especially if it's $45 or so. I don't love the 1792 Small Batch but like their single barrel and FP and BiB. But 1792 FP store pick, if it's a store that you trust, can be really damn good for the price point.
Sazerac
AG
I don't like 1792, but I like full proof options.
The EC toasted doesn't sound that great based on reviews.
AgDev01
AG
Its a state ABC store so the "pick" is basically what they picked for VA.

Sazerac said:

I don't like 1792, but I like full proof options.
The EC toasted doesn't sound that great based on reviews.

Just like ECBP the higher proof stuff always seems to win out
Cyprian
AG
Gunner33 said:

Ryan's Liquor in Spring has a similar program. You trade in your tickets in order buy allocated stuff at retail, and you turn them in twice a year for a raffle.

I have been there a couple times this year. Super helpful people and they always have a nice selection, thier store picks have been great that I tried. I like them, but I work close to a Total Wine that's convenient that has become my go to.

Are the allocated bottles available whenever with the right amount of tickets? I have 8 now, I'm guessing that doesn't get much of significance.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
SpiderDude
AG
the dude10 said:

Haha I called over there and they said they don't have any today but have heard some stores do. The search continues...

They did the same at the 183 and Duval Twin. I stopped by yesterday and they had a Blanton's package as well as an ECBP C919 package. I passed. I'm probably going to regret not grabbing that batch of ECBP but I already have 3 Others and since I blew a significant amount to procure the 2019 4R LE BP I couldn't stomach throwing down another $150. I'd have pulled the trigger if they had an ETL but they didn't.
Gunner33
That won't get you anything on that shelf. Lol. You can go to thwir website and see the ticket values they have placed on each bottle.
AGdent07
AG
Cyprian said:

Gunner33 said:

I have been there a couple times this year. Super helpful people and they always have a nice selection, thier store picks have been great that I tried. I like them, but I work close to a Total Wine that's convenient that has become my go to.

Are the allocated bottles available whenever with the right amount of tickets? I have 8 now, I'm guessing that doesn't get much of significance.

Here's what they had on the shelf last time I was there. I got to trade some tickets in towards some of the non-shelf LP items.
AGdent07
AG
You can get something like EHT small batch for 5 LP at $40 MSRP.

https://www.ryansliquor.online/raffle.php
Sazerac
AG
Found another GTS in Bandera, they only wanted $600!

Lots of Bookers, different batches @ $90
AGdent07
AG
Picked this up at TW bay brook. They had two cases in the back. I told my buddy to go by and they said they had never seen it before. Took some strong arming for them to bring him a bottle. I don't understand the benefit of withholding bottles from customers. It's an allocated item so one per person. If anything TW loses out on business by employees limiting sales.
CharlieBrown17
AG

Excited for this one. Finished in a port barrel for 14 months.
SpiderDude
AG
AGdent07 said:

Picked this up at TW bay brook. They had two cases in the back. I told my buddy to go by and they said they had never seen it before. Took some strong arming for them to bring him a bottle. I don't understand the benefit of withholding bottles from customers. It's an allocated item so one per person. If anything TW loses out on business by employees limiting sales.

You pretty much summed up everything wrong with the whiskey market right now. I "get" the games but the games still piss me off and if you're expecting to "pocket" something extra just to hand over a bottle of fermented corn juice then I have one thing to tell you...GFY.
First Page Last Page
Page 516 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.