Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,872,693 Views | 38747 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by KDubAg
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought a bottle of AE earlier in the year for $65 and I wouldn't buy another one if it saw it for $10. I just don't like it, but I understand that's just my opinion and a lot other people do like it.
austinag1997
AG
I recently bought a bottle and didnt particularly enjoy it either.

I didnt pay near $65 for it fortunately.
joshwayne330
Yes, AE is just a brand right now. That is sourced whiskey in the bottle of Cask Strength. If I was in Houston tonight, I would go buy it now. That bottling is simply trading material. The juice is not worth $150, but it is rare = hype.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
just poured my second glass of vintage 17.

saw a bottle for sale today for ~$600 and it made me sad cause I wanted it.

But alas...
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Get to know your neighbor - Bourbon Thread Ed.

DryFly

- Age and location?

- Favorite bourbon of all time?

- Daily pour?

- Neat, w/rocks, water, coke, etc?

- Favorite bourbon cocktail?

- Bourbon you're on the hunt for?

- In your opinion, most overrated bourbon?

- Most underrated bourbon?
schmellba99
AG
quote:
" This stuff is delicious if you are good with the heat."

appears to me the general consensus (not mine) on texags is nothing is smooth over 80 proof.

Not mine either. Smooth and spice are two independent things. They may or may not be together at once, but they are not necessarily mutually exclusive either.

In general though, the lighter bourbons are smoother across the palate simply because there is a more watered down distill associated with lower alcohol content.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
ka,

I need to give you my phone number so when you see stuff like that you can call me and buy me a bottle! I'm an hour from DT Specs.

Same here!
ka
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
and AE is an actual distillery and not just a brand

True, but keep in mind the distillery just opened. In fact, I don't believe it was open when I was there in October. So, my question is, where was the current batch of AE distilled?

From what I gather, the juice is based on Early Times or Old Forrester mashbills (not surprising given that Lincoln was a master distiller for the Brown-Forrester distillery for 40 years.

Until the Louisville distillery goes online full bore, Angel's Envy is distilled on Bardstown equipment (one would assume Heaven Hill).

Lincoln and his son Wes specifically set out to produce a milder bourbon than the typical distills produced by B-F, which are notoriously heavy on the oak (Woodford Reserve being a great example), and with a more broad flavor profile aimed at introducing non-bourbon drinkers to the bourbon world. One would surmise that the B-F big wigs knew little of this given the sudden departure of Lincoln from B-F.

It is aged around 5-8 years.
ka
Unless you think Lincoln Henderson was dishonest, it is disingenuous to refer to AE as just a brand. Yes. It is distilled by someone else, but so is Pappy, technically. The van winkles don't run a distillery. Lincoln Henderson controls the mash bill, etc. from the start. The fact that his "friend" who he won't reveal owns/runs the actual distillery is a little different than most of the brands that are just brands selling other people's bourbon.
Quantum ace
AG
Lincoln Henderson was a master distiller who used decades of experience distilling and developing whiskey to get into sourcing and blending business.

The AE on the market today starts with a sourced product, but I see it as more than just a brand. They source whiskey like KBD/Willet does, but the barrel finishing and blending is completely AE.

It is correct to state that AE does not sell a product they distilled, but what they sell is 100% their product.

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 12/4/2013 9:46a).]
Curios Ag
AG
well I struck out this season. No BTAC/PVW. Hard as hell in Oregon with no superstores.

Anybody up for selling? maybe you bought too many
Looking for anything at this point.
PM me if so. - pay w/ paypal and will pay for shipping...

and I drink my bourbon

[This message has been edited by Portland Ag 95 (edited 12/4/2013 5:58p).]
austinag1997
AG
quote:
They source whiskey like KBD/Willet does

This is not true anymore. Willett is distilling their own product... I walked their distillery. It is small, but very nice. Top of the line. They are only putting out 20 barrels/day, but it is 100% Willett product on their facility. What you are drinking today has been distilled offsite.

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 12/4/2013 7:05p).]
Quantum ace
AG
I know Willet has started running a still, but are you saying they have completely stopped sourcing? Are they still using sourced whiskey for the brands they bottle, but dont own?

I used them as an example because they both sell a sourced product, but have recently started distilling. Regardless of whether Willet is currently sourcing whiskey, the comparison stands for everything being sold right now.
schmellba99
AG
Willet won't be able to stop sourcing from LDI for a good long while, but they may eventually be at a point where the bottle is 100% Willet juice and production.

Their still didn't start up until pretty recently though, and at 20 barrels a day (as referenced above), they will have many years before their stock is sizeable enough and mature enough to bottle their own juice.
Atty_Ag
Anyone have any info on this Orphan Barrel project? It screams marketing scam to cash in on a trend, but I would not turn down a pour or two.

http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/11/05/orphan-barrel-lost-and-found-whiskey-company/
schmellba99
AG
Never heard of it.

I would have my doubts about any "long forgotten barrels in the back of a rick house" though. Barrels don't get lost in a rick house.

I would probably pick a bottle up though, as long as it were reasonably priced. I have to admit that if the juice is really aged 27 years, it may well be worth $60 to see what it tastes like, but I'm not sold on the "long lost barrels" marketing story.
Quantum ace
AG
If by "lost" they mean "we just found out someone else owned old barrels, so we bought them", then I believe them.
Curios Ag
AG
on craigslist for the following...I know I'm crazy if I buy at these prices but it seems like the only way I'll get any for this Christmas.

* Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year ...........................$250.00
* Van Winkle Reserve 12 year "lot B".................$350.00
* Van Winkle Reserve 13 year RYE...................$550.00
* Pappy Van Winkle 15 year..............................$575.00
* Pappy Van Winkle 20 year..............................$775.00
* Pappy Van Winkle 23 year............................$1,250.00

* The whole Van Winkle "family"....................$3,700.00

Also, I have for sale the entire Buffalo Trace Antique Collection which consists of five different bourbons and ryes. These are also from the 2013 distribution. Sold as a set or individually (Sazerac 18 only sold as part of set).

* George T. Stagg Bourbon...............................$300.00
* Sazerac 18 year Rye........................................ N/A
* William Larue Weller Bourbon........................$300.00
* Thomas Handy Rye.......................................$200.00
* Eagle Rare 17 Bourbon...................................$275.00

* The entire BTAC set...................................$1,400.00
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Damn! Looks like I need to put my Van Winkle set on the ol chopping block!
ka
The Orphan Barrel project sounds like BS to me. If they had good 27 year old whisky just sitting around, why won't they tell anyone where they got it or anything about it? Seems like they are just trying to cash in on the boom. I feel like the market in general just doesn't understand that age and quality are not synonymous when it comes to bourbon. So, people will pay more for some 27 year old whiskey even if it is not very good.
tx4guns
AG
Looks like I got quite a deal on my entire BTAC!
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Willet won't be able to stop sourcing from LDI for a good long while, but they may eventually be at a point where the bottle is 100% Willet juice and production.

Their still didn't start up until pretty recently though, and at 20 barrels a day (as referenced above), they will have many years before their stock is sizeable enough and mature enough to bottle their own juice.

You are likely correct. They are barreling their own juice today... but, you are right... it will take a while.
taz997
Just saw this thread. I want to buy my dad a bottle of bourbon for xmas. I'm a liberal arts recent grad so my job doesn't pay me **** and I would like to spend under $100. Any recommendations for a decent bottle under that amount? Obviously I'll check the thread but 45+ pages is hard to sift through. Thanks.
tx4guns
AG
Blantons or Noah's Mill
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Blantons. Def blantons
taz997
I'll look into those both. Appreciate the quick responses.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
You can buy both right at $100....
GregZeppelin
AG
Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, or Bookers (beware though, this one is barrel strength at ~127 proof)
agmatt06
AG
I'm headed to cs in a couple hours. Any spots up there to take a look for bottles? We all know those silly college kids don't drink the good stuff.
Mathguy64
AG
Specs or Twin Liquors. Blantons is about $50. Rock Hill about the same. Four Roses Single Barrel is also in the same range. Unless you know the person and know they really like bourbon and drink a wide variety, Bookers is not something I would gift.
austinag1997
AG
Trying to post a few pics of Willett Distillery, but I am inept at trying to post photos from my local drive...

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 12/6/2013 12:12p).]

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 12/6/2013 12:14p).]
schmellba99
AG
You can't post from your local drive on texags - the 1975 technology on this message board will not allow such things.

You need to host your pictures on a hosting website (tinypic, photobucket, etc.) and then use the link codes from that site to here.
austinag1997
AG
Yeah, I wasted 15 minutes of my time earlier to figure that out.
schmellba99
AG
Picked up some Col. EH Taylor rye this weekend. I have read a lot of good things about this one, so figured I would give it a shot.
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.