Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,155 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been a loooooong time since I've had gentlemen jack. I'm a self admitted whiskey snob, but for the price, it's nearly impossible to beat. Smells like banana pudding and tastes like banana bread. Relatively smooth. I'm genuinely surprised how much I'm enjoying it.

Anyone else shamelessly enjoy this stuff?
mazag08
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

AGdent07 said:

I heard Willet dropped this week. Went to grab a bottle. Apparently Specs went through 6 cases on the day it dropped. Bourbon hunting is getting harder. Had a friend come across Weller 12 at retail so hopefully I can get a bottle from him.

New rule: outside of this thread. Everyone shut your damn mouths. Whiskey is awful and nobody should buy it ever again.

We, supporting our passion, pump up the things we enjoy. We create the problem.

Lol, every new generation of posters on this thread suggests the same thing.

It's actually gotten kind of fun to watch the new posters cycle from excited new fans sampling all different things, to hunting fiends trying to get their hands on the good stuff once they get bored with shelf-bottles, to frustrated hunters mad about not being able to get what they want, and eventually getting fed up with it all and deciding that plenty of easy to find mid-range are perfectly enjoyable pours and retiring from the madness.

Sounds like you're somewhere between stage 2 and stage 3.

I'm newer to the thread, but not a new fan. I've been appreciating all sorts of whiskey for a long time, relative to my age. My father and brother are whiskey snobs and I was raised to appreciate the good stuff. My post was tongue in cheek. I know exactly how the whiskey market is. I've never been a secondary market chaser. There's no point. There's amazing stuff at every price level. And when I do get fed up, I buy scotch and I'm even happier. We're all chasers though. We know what's supposed to be good, we know what is good, and we know what's great at the value. I feel like too many people, especially here, chase the rare expensive stuff when they ignore the stuff right in front of their eyes that would blow them away.
austinag1997
AG
jh0400 said:

I'm afraid I'm in the "moved onto other spirits" stage. WP10 Alberta barrels, sherried scotch, and rum are all that I've purchased lately.

I have started drinking copious amounts of rum. Really tired of the bourbon demand BS. You can't even go to KY and get great stuff anymore. Go to the Willett gift store, and all they have is 4 yr rye.
showtime
AG
Not a huge fan of Gentleman, but love Single Barrel Jack. Especially the barrel proof offerings.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

I'm newer to the thread, but not a new fan. I've been appreciating all sorts of whiskey for a long time, relative to my age. My father and brother are whiskey snobs and I was raised to appreciate the good stuff. My post was tongue in cheek. I know exactly how the whiskey market is. I've never been a secondary market chaser. There's no point. There's amazing stuff at every price level. And when I do get fed up, I buy scotch and I'm even happier. We're all chasers though. We know what's supposed to be good, we know what is good, and we know what's great at the value. I feel like too many people, especially here, chase the rare expensive stuff when they ignore the stuff right in front of their eyes that would blow them away.

mazag08
AG
showtime said:

Not a huge fan of Gentleman, but love Single Barrel Jack. Especially the barrel proof offerings.

I've been so snobby that I scoff at people who enjoy any Jack. But I'm finding it hard to not keep a bottle of GJ around at all times.

On another note, has anybody tried Corsair Buck Yeah? I've been told its like the IPA of whiskey. Has me curious.
Fall92
AG
GJ is definitely a banana bomb. I think it's okay but as the other poster noted the store pick single barrels are pretty good.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
mazag08
AG
My parents visited the distillery about 15 years ago and brought me back a single barrel. I remember it being good, but as I said, I was destined to hate JD back then. Not sure I spent enough time actually appreciating it. Also, I was dumb and immature in those days. Not sure it would have mattered.

Has anyone had the JD Sinatra?
CharlieBrown17
AG
The JD heritage releases are also really good.

Pretty much as long as it isn't regular JD or gentleman jack, I'm down with it
FriedTex
AG
mazag08 said:

Been a loooooong time since I've had gentlemen jack. I'm a self admitted whiskey snob, but for the price, it's nearly impossible to beat. Smells like banana pudding and tastes like banana bread. Relatively smooth. I'm genuinely surprised how much I'm enjoying it.

Anyone else shamelessly enjoy this stuff?

Tastes like flat Diet Coke
RenoAg
If we talkin bout guilty pleasures, I went back to sippin some regular Crown. Or 40 Creek. Canadian whiskey. For shame!! LOL. Not as good as bourbon. But it ain't bad. And no more bangin my head on a wall chasin stuff. Gave that up long ago. Still have plenty of bourbon bunkered anyway. But the thrill of the hunt is gone. BB King.....
AGdent07
AG
Just out of curiosity, do you guys prefer wheat or rye bourbon/whiskey?

I've got guys who I do bourbon tastings with and our preferences tend to vary quite a bit sometimes. I personally lean more towards a rye whiskey. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy some wheat whiskeys as well.

One particular popular whiskey that I don't have a real taste for is Maker's. I've seen some of their master's collection and thought about picking one of those up.
PearlandAg09
AG
Will preface this post that I'm no bourbon connossieur, but this is the best one I've had to date.

HouseDivided06
AG
I'm with you on Makers but their Cask Strength for $36 is pretty solid, and the Private Select can be pretty damn good too but more expensive
AGdent07
AG
I really enjoyed that Birthday bourdon. Although I had a different year than that (green not purple year).
CactusThomas
AG
PHC single barrel
WT Masters Keep Revival

Good night, *******s. See you after Easter.
the dude10
AG
AGdent07 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you guys prefer wheat or rye bourbon/whiskey?

I've got guys who I do bourbon tastings with and our preferences tend to vary quite a bit sometimes. I personally lean more towards a rye whiskey. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy some wheat whiskeys as well.

One particular popular whiskey that I don't have a real taste for is Maker's. I've seen some of their master's collection and thought about picking one of those up.

I definitely prefer rye over wheat. Wheat tends to fall a little flat on my palate. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it but usually it just seems really smooth and maybe a little sweet. Rye is definitely where it's at for me. I love straight ryes and tend to go for higher rye bourbon as well like any of the four roses offerings.
SpiderDude
AG
Clearly I prefer Rye because I have more straight Rye on my bar than anything else. I stil have a few wheated tho. Got the new Larceny BP for example. Have Maker's CS also. Honestly I like an assortment. Like to sample different things together to see what different flavors I pick up on.
mazag08
AG
51% - 55% corn
>20% wheat
>10% rye

You get bourbon with a balance between the mellow wheat and spicey rye.
mazag08
AG
MJ20/20
AG
Is there a set day that the twin liquors dollar sale begins? Is it Thursday thru Saturday of this week?
SpiderDude
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Is there a set day that the twin liquors dollar sale begins? Is it Thursday thru Saturday of this week?

Yes. Starts tomorrow.
AgDev01
AG
Was finally able to pick these up today.

aggielostinETX
AG
https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/buffalo-trace-distillery-announces-blantons-gold-will-be-available-in-the-u-s

FRANKFORT, FRANKLIN COUNTY, KY (Feb 27, 2020) Fans of Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon have long asked for the Gold Edition to be available in the United States. This summer those bourbon lovers will get their wish. Available as a limited release in 2020, Blanton's Gold will be released once every year in the U.S.

This is the first time the Blanton's Gold Edition has been made available in the U.S. Previously the only version of the Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon available to fans stateside was the Original Single Barrel, bottled at 93 proof. While Blanton's Original will still be available, the Gold Edition is now joining the ranks.
Sazerac
AG
"will still be available"

Not for most of us!
aggielostinETX
AG
cclearman said:

Not for most of us!

Just will be BTAC bottle 5
John Francis Donaghy
Deats said:

cclearman said:

Not for most of us!

I thought #5 was earmarked for the new ETL releases? Are those still happening?
Wheatables02
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Deats said:

cclearman said:

Not for most of us!

I thought #5 was earmarked for the new ETL releases? Are those still happening?
or Straight from the Barrel
Sazerac
AG
I'm in Massachusetts.
As much eagle Rare as you want to buy for $36.
1 bottle of Blanton's limit for $69.

Can unopened bottles be in carry on or just checked bags?
aggielostinETX
AG
cclearman said:

I'm in Massachusetts.

Checked only, up to 5.
Wheatables02
AG
Deats said:

cclearman said:

I'm in Massachusetts.

Checked only, up to 5.
5 liters total, or 6 -750 ml bottles...
aggielostinETX
AG
Correct 5 liters.
Sazerac
AG
6 it is.
Thanks!
AGdent07
AG
SpiderDude said:

Clearly I prefer Rye because I have more straight Rye on my bar than anything else. I stil have a few wheated tho. Got the new Larceny BP for example. Have Maker's CS also. Honestly I like an assortment. Like to sample different things together to see what different flavors I pick up on.
Yeah we are pretty similar. I really enjoy the Angels envy rye (I would say its worth the price, not a huge fan of the regular). Just picked up the EH Taylor straight rye but have yet to crack it open. What ryes are you enjoying?
SpiderDude
AG
AGdent07 said:

SpiderDude said:

Yeah we are pretty similar. I really enjoy the Angels envy rye (I would say its worth the price, not a huge fan of the regular). Just picked up the EH Taylor straight rye but have yet to crack it open. What ryes are you enjoying?

Well... since you asked...

Michter's BP
Midwinter's Night Dram
Wild Turkey Cornerstone
EHT Rye
Treaty Oak 10 year
Sagamore Spirit
Templeton Barrel Proof
Ben Milam
Angel's Envy Finished
Crown Royal Northern Harvest
Basil Hayden's Caribbean Reserve
Knob Creek SB
Knob Creek Cask Strength
Whistle Pig 10 year 117 proof
High West Double Rye
Old Forester Rye (need to refill)
Peerless Rye (purchased but haven't tried yet)
Sixth Street Rye
Wigle Deep Cut (small craft distillery in Pitt, PA)
First Page Last Page
Page 425 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.