Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,868,660 Views | 38691 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by trouble
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First come first served for those key customers

Agree this is a better method
AggieAuditor
AG
Every method has it faults. The reward system and the "top customer" systems are typically gamed by the folks that run thousands through their companies and then get the ORVW or whatever rare for themselves.

Those same folks get pretty pissed off at the first-come first-serve or lottery systems because then people like me have an even chance with them.
TamuKid
AG
If anyone's looking for EH Taylor Straight Rye, and in College Station... check the Twin Liquors.

Another store in Austin told me that was the closest showing inventory. Take it with a grain of salt, but maybe worth a try.
mazag08
AG
Trying the Woodford wheat. Really light and smooth as it's only 90 proof. 51% wheat in the mash bill which makes me happy. I love wheated whiskey. Nose is fairly tame.. bread and slight ethanol. The front is heavy bread but almost closer to shortbread. You get the slightest hint of sweet fruit on the back end with a tiny little kick that finishes easy. Do not add water. It won't do anything and doesn't have enough juice to need it.

83/100 for me. Not good enough to always keep around, but definitely good and something for a change of pace every so often. I imagine it would be a great dinner whiskey. Then have some chocolate cake with a glass of Woodford double oaked to finish the night.
Fall92
AG
My local has a loyalty reward program too. One ticket for every $20 spent. Pros and cons for sure. I look at it and think I'm going to spend that money on booze any way (especially bourbon and wine). I have constant access to high end stuff. I've bought WLW, OWA, ETL, Blntons, ER and BT store picks and many others any time I walk in so I think it's worth it. I'm saving up LPs for a PVW but can get an ER18 or RHF right now if I want. I have 12,000+ Spec's points and have yet to get anything on their lists.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Trying the Woodford wheat. Really light and smooth as it's only 90 proof. 51% wheat in the mash bill which makes me happy. I love wheated whiskey. Nose is fairly tame.. bread and slight ethanol. The front is heavy bread but almost closer to shortbread. You get the slightest hint of sweet fruit on the back end with a tiny little kick that finishes easy. Do not add water. It won't do anything and doesn't have enough juice to need it.

83/100 for me. Not good enough to always keep around, but definitely good and something for a change of pace every so often. I imagine it would be a great dinner whiskey. Then have some chocolate cake with a glass of Woodford double oaked to finish the night.

This. This right here is how you review a whiskey people. Thank you sir. Well done.
AGdent07
AG
I picked up one yesterday in the Pearland area.

Went to dinner last night and had an awesome surprise for desert. My buddy brought out a bottle of Michter's 20 year and opened it up for pours. Amazing flavor but definitely has a lot of heat behind it.
SpiderDude
AG
A buddy of mine was able to score me a Larceny Barrel Proof in Delaware. I don't think they've made it to Texas yet!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yeah I'm looking forward to that one

Edit and wrong emoji weird
Fall92
AG
Anyone go to the HWS tonight?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Fall92 said:

Anyone go to the HWS tonight?

No but we had a pretty epic bottle share in honor of it
AGdent07
AG
Anybody tried any of the orphan barrels? Doing a tasting tomorrow night.
Fall92
AG
My wife only drinks BLANTON's but I trick palate f'd her last night by giving her my Redemption Wheated first. She said it was way smoother than the Blanton's. It's one of my favorite wheateds.
BanderaAg956
AGdent07 said:

Yes, I've tried about 25 different orphan barrels in Kentucky over the years of business travel! Most are incredible from the great distillers!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
V8Aggie
AG
AGdent07 said:

I've had Rhetoric but it was when I was new to the whole bourbon craze. From what I can remember it was good and very subdued. Sorry, I can't give a better description.
LCE
AG
I have a 1.75 Weller 12. Still looking for a 1.75 OWA
William Larue Weller
AG
LCE said:

I have a 1.75 Weller 12. Still looking for a 1.75 OWA
Jealous of the 1.75 W12, but I've never seen a 1.75 OWA. If you find it, I'd love to know where.

My current unicorn is the Weller Full Proof or the CYPB.

And sadly, I cannot seem to find a remotely reasonably priced bottle of Blanton's anymore.
LCE
AG
I kind of stopped the bourbon hunting for now. Makers cask is damn good and available. Oban 14 tonight
Daytona22
AG
I have too. It's gotten out of control. Ppl were saying that a couple years ago when I was big into hunting around and now I feel like that crabby person talking about what used to be on the shelves. Ha!
MW03
AG
I oscillate between bourbon and beer hunting, but it's gotten to the point where I just need to drink what I have. On both counts.
LCE
AG
It will run its course. Redbreast 12 from r $60 all day is great.
mazag08
AG
Those of yall giving up.. ignore the overpriced stuff.

You want wheated? Try the Woodford wheat. It's not Blantons or Weller, but its damn good and will satisfy your craving. And you'll spend less than $35.

There are tons of whiskey options out there that are plenty good. Forget the name and follow the taste.

You can get Elijah Craig SB, Four Roses SB, Four Roses Single Barrel, Rabbit Hole, Very Old Barton, LArceny, McKenna BOB all for under $40.

Most of the time, you'll be so happy with the price per pound you won't notice.
mazag08
AG
And in the $50 range, Woodford Double Oaked, Noah's Mill, Maker's 46, and Willet are hard to beat.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

You want wheated? Try the Woodford wheat. It's not Blantons or Weller, but its damn good and will satisfy your craving. And you'll spend less than $35.

There are tons of whiskey options out there that are plenty good. Forget the name and follow the taste.

You can get Elijah Craig SB, Four Roses SB, Four Roses Single Barrel, Rabbit Hole, Very Old Barton, LArceny, McKenna BOB all for under $40.

This was definitely my philosophy early on. I'm willing to spend more when it's available but you're spot on with your advice. Knob Creek SB 120, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, All day every day!!! I think if people blind tasted more they'd be surprised at the results of bottles they're hunting vs. what's staring them in the face on store shelves.
Edit: And Blanton's isn't wheated btw... I'm presuming you meant Pappy.
mazag08
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

This was definitely my philosophy early on. I'm willing to spend more when it's available but you're spot on with your advice. Knob Creek SB 120, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, All day every day!!! I think if people blind tasted more they'd be surprised at the results of bottles they're hunting vs. what's staring them in the face on store shelves.
Edit: And Blanton's isn't wheated btw... I'm presuming you meant Pappy.
Yes, meant Pappy.
AGdent07
AG
So we didn't break in to the orphan barrel bourbons but we did have a good sample of some other stuff.
I'll upload a pic of our samples whenever I get a chance.
Daytona22
AG
mazag08 said:

I'm not planning on giving up bourbon. I've given up the constant going to liquor stores while I'm in a new city and spending my entire Friday off going around to different stores around town to try to find a highly allocated bottle that might be sitting on a shelf or behind the counter.

For now, I have plenty of bourbon if I want to open some that is harder to find and will pick up some of the regular on the shelf when needed to replenish the stash. There's definitely plenty on the shelf that are great buys for everyday drinking.
AGdent07
AG
AGdent07
AG
Had a good lineup. Really enjoyed the BTAC collection, especially the Thomas Handy. Nothing special about the EHT tornado survivor for all the hype.
William Larue Weller
AG
AGdent07 said:

Out of curiosity, how did you acquire the Pappy? Secondary at a huge markup?
AGdent07
AG
Friend of mine has been collecting for years and gets a connection through Specs. Its unbelievable that he has acquired all this at retail.
austinag1997
AG
I bought a Pappy 23 in 2014 for $432.
William Larue Weller
AG
AGdent07 said:

Friend of mine has been collecting for years and gets a connection through Specs. Its unbelievable that he has acquired all this at retail.

That's incredible.
RaylanGivens
62strat
AG
Does anyone know how much production has increased on BAC and pappy since it's been so trendy now for so many years? Will it catch up, or are they keeping production low in spite of it all?
First Page Last Page
Page 420 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.