Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,296 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MW03 said:

Anyone here used https://www.delmesaliquor.com/ before? Looks like its based out of California and ships to Texas. Some of it is pretty dang reasonable. For example, they have Eagle Rare for $34 and Angel's Envy for $50 in stock, and I have a hard time finding those on the shelves. Then, they have some stuff priced high compared to MSRP (i.e., Weller SR for $80, Midwinter Night's Dram for $180, etc). But they do have a lot in stock.

Unless some law has changed recently, liquor cannot legally be shipped into Texas. Put something in the cart, and try ordering it to Texas. My guess is they won't do it.
the dude10
AG
Email sent
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

So what you're saying is that Eagle Rare cures brain cancer?
Doesn't cure, but maybe "helps manage".
TamuKid
AG
Anyone in Austin area have a lead on Stagg Jr? Don't care on batch. Can't find a bottle at/near retail anywhere. Been wanting to grab one to try for a while. Don't find a lot of time to get to bars (work/kids/wife) so normally can only try by buying.

Also, if anyone's looking to re-supply, Costco (WB Liquors) in Pville had three EHT SmB's on the shelf as of about 1:30pm today.
turfman80
AG
V8Aggie said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Saw a couple cases of ER (bottle at $27.99 per) and 3 bottles of ER 1.75 L today. It really stinks that y'all in Texas have to hunt and overpay as much as y'all do.

I will say there are some bottles and brands that are tough to score no matter the market it seems. But ER is not one of them.
ER is a good $30 bourbon. Too many better things out there in the $50 range that are better (hence I don't overpay for it).

ER is now my favorite go-to, but I wouldn't wind paying a little more for somethings thats even better. What stuff in the $50 range should I be looking for? TIA.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
TamuKid
AG
EHT Small Batch is around 40 and very good, higher proof than ER.

Old Forester 1910 is very good at around 50 bucks, around the same proof as ER.
jah003
S
TamuKid said:

Anyone in Austin area have a lead on Stagg Jr? Don't care on batch. Can't find a bottle at/near retail anywhere. Been wanting to grab one to try for a while. Don't find a lot of time to get to bars (work/kids/wife) so normally can only try by buying.

Also, if anyone's looking to re-supply, Costco (WB Liquors) in Pville had three EHT SmB's on the shelf as of about 1:30pm today.
I've got a half a bottle I'll never drink if you want to buy it. I've actually lucked in to Stagg Jr. twice in Austin. I always keep a bottle around for my FIL, but he doesn't really drink it anymore.
CactusThomas
AG
Trying to get money for half a bottle that you'd never drink?
BeardofZeus01
AG
TamuKid said:

Not sure its much help, but I bought my last two bottles at Avery Ranch Wine and Spirits (Avery Ranch and Parmer). It's been close to a year since my last purchase there though. I'm in DFW but sister lives in Avery Ranch and I used to drop by the shop when we were down visiting and I was still hunting bourbon.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Some of my preferred selections in the $45-55 range:

Four Roses SiB
Four Roses SB Select
Knob Creek SiB
Russell's Reserve SiB (have had some great store picks from Goody Goody)
Maker's Mark Cask Strength
Noah's Mill
Belle Meade SiB
SpiderDude
AG
Who says Makers Cask Strength is in that price range. I paid $31 for mine. Thank you Twin Dollar Days!!!
TamuKid
AG
I appreciate the offer. Will keep looking around town some before falling back on an open bottle.

Drinking EHT Small Batch tonight... it may be my favorite at the very crowded $35-$45 dollar range. Every time I drink it I say to myself "that just may be my favorite". Then I forget about it for a bit while I drink other things in the cabinet, before inevitably coming back and thoroughly enjoying it again.
MW03
AG
That's the odd thing about Buffalo Trace products. At MSRP, they are all hard to beat. Eagle Rare, BT, Weller SR, Sazerac Rye, EHT, etc. All excellent. I have a hard time justifying them up against single barrel or cask offerings when you get into the secondary market.

That being said, for the price and taste, I think my favorite is BT.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

That's the odd thing about Buffalo Trace products. At MSRP, they are all hard to beat. Eagle Rare, BT, Weller SR, Sazerac Rye, EHT, etc. All excellent. I have a hard time justifying them up against single barrel or cask offerings when you get into the secondary market.

That being said, for the price and taste, I think my favorite is BT.

Heaven Hill is neck and neck with BT IMO.
TamuKid
AG
Heaven Hill has some good ones for sure; with Elijah Craig, Larceny, Old Fitz, McKenna 10, Rittenhouse, and Evan Williams.

Here's a cool "family tree" for the major bourbon distilleries:

FriedTex
AG
Have that pic behind my bar in the basement
PearlandAg09
AG

Anyone had a chance to try either of these? If so, thoughts compared to others at similar price point?
Post removed:
by user
MJ20/20
AG
Still better than Garrison Bros. right
Post removed:
by user
PearlandAg09
AG
Thanks! Speaking of GB, I have a 98% full bottle you can have, if you recall, if you're ever in the Pearland area.
agcrock2005
AG
If you pay for shipping I'll let you pay me $20 to take it.
austinag1997
AG
TamuKid said:

Heaven Hill has some good ones for sure; with Elijah Craig, Larceny, Old Fitz, McKenna 10, Rittenhouse, and Evan Williams.

Here's a cool "family tree" for the major bourbon distilleries:

That exhibit is dated BTW. For instance, EC no longer has a 12 yr age statement. Also Willett started up their distillery in 2012. Their rye is still pretty young. They also rarely open Family Estate barreled juice anymore... the stuff that put them on the map.
SpiderDude
AG
agcrock2005 said:

If you pay for shipping I'll let you pay me $20 to take it.

Just use it to clean toilets or something.
Bigfootisreal
I bought a bottle of Legent a few months ago- read all kinds of bad reviews so hadn't tried it until toniight. Really enjoy it- a very hot nose, but just increadibly smooth and drinkable. I've seen it everywhere for mid $30 range- definitely will buy more.
CactusThomas
AG
I like it too. Its different.
MJ20/20
AG
Drinkin Four Roses small batch select tonight. It's a great bourbon that is easy to get.
Fall92
AG
Finally got around to taking a bourbon inventory this week. Have to say the worst ones I have by far are Bardstown Family Estate, MB Roland and Balcones Baby Blue. Not sure I'll ever touch any of those ever again. Do yourself a favor and avoid.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Naveronski
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Still better than Garrison Bros. right

I did their tour and really enjoyed it, but couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle at the end of it. Just seemed too high.
MW03
AG
For all the cash I've spent on bourbon lately, I tell you this much: the glass of bulliet neat I had at the hotel bar after a long day was just about perfect.
SpiderDude
AG
When is the next Twin Dollar Days y'all?!
Texas_Aggie91
AG
It's typically the last week of February or first week on March
G Martin 87
AG
Need some quick tasting suggestions. I'm going to a potluck dinner party on Friday (I'm bringing a couple of rum-based cocktails), and one of the other guys offered to bring a couple of whiskeys for tasting. He sent me a list too long to share here, and I don't really know what to choose. Up to this point, my favorites have usually been BT products. I also like WR and Maker's 46 but not regular MM. His list has a lot of Elijah Craig, Knob Creek SiB, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, Stagg Jr batches, and 4R SiB. His rye collection is pretty limited; Sazerac, Rittenhouse, and a lot of Whistlepig. Suggestions? Anything in particular I should look for that would be a nice contrast with my usual go-to bourbons?
Spore Ag
I did the Garrison brothers tour and did their sampling. Great visit and the ambiance encourages one to like it but honestly I could not decern one sample from the other and have to give GB a big pass.

I did buy their bourbon flavored maple syrup.
Sazerac
AG
I'd go with these since they are tougher to find (for me)

Old Forester 1910, Stagg Jr batches, and 4R SiB

And any Whistlepig Rye he wants to share
First Page Last Page
Page 408 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.