Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,727 Views | 38665 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by Pac1698
BeardofZeus01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I second the Smooth Ambler and Four Roses suggestions. Also, Makers Cask, Woodford Masters Collection Batch Proof (was a mid-2018 release but may still be able to track one down), Stagg Jr, Knob Creek SB, Noah's Mill, Rowans Creek, Belle Meade SB.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm not that plugged into the bourbon scene currently but something I've enjoyed at a restaurant and think is maybe unique in that price range is Jefferson's Ocean. I don't see it talked about much so I assume it is not hard to get/not sought after. I've seen a store pick available at Total Wine for a little while so it might be worth checking out. Thoughts?
SpiderDude
AG
It's definitely been discussed here. You may just have to scroll back several pages. Generally considered a very good bourbon... tho I haven't had a bottle yet.
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks. I'm torn on the Whistle Pig but I may pull the trigger based on y'all's recommendations. The Belle Meade is also intriguing and one I haven't had yet.
jh0400
AG
SpiderDude said:

Thanks. I'm torn on the Whistle Pig but I may pull the trigger based on y'all's recommendations. The Belle Meade is also intriguing and one I haven't had yet.

One thing about the WP10s is that they can be very different depending on who picked the barrel and the source. The earlier barrels were all a 100% rye mash bill from Alberta. A lot of the newer ones are from MGP and closer to 13 years in age. I've got seven different barrel picks in my cabinet right now, and one of my favorite things to do is pull a few when we have people over to let them see the variations that you can get out of the same mash bill.
aggielostinETX
AG
jh0400 said:

SpiderDude said:

One thing about the WP10s is that they can be very different depending on who picked the barrel and the source. The earlier barrels were all a 100% rye mash bill from Alberta. A lot of the newer ones are from MGP and closer to 13 years in age. I've got seven different barrel picks in my cabinet right now, and one of my favorite things to do is pull a few when we have people over to let them see the variations that you can get out of the same mash bill.

Doing steak and bourbon charity dinner again this fall. I am gonna do a couple of those.
Fall92
AG
Some good recs. I probably sound like a broken record at this point but if you're looking for a good rye to add, I would definitely try the High West Double Rye. It also gets great reviews on Breaking Bourbon.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
barney94
AG
Spider - In that range I really like the Makers Cask Strength. If you like something a bit spicier the Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof is good.
tx4guns
AG
These are new ones you should get to fill the gaps:

Bookers, Knob Creek 120 proof, 1792 Full Proof, Stagg Jr., Four Roses store picks.
SpiderDude
AG
I haven't seen Stagg Jr. anywhere. F***ing BT squatters.
Sixdrakes
AG
I'd recommend EH Taylor Single Barrel for a bourbon. For rye, I'd look at the new Old Forester Rye. Don't let the low price fool you. It is a great pour. Also, if you are located in one of the few states that sales it, I'd hunt down a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel bourbon and New Riff Rye
jetch17
AG
Can't find any Taylor single barrel in Houston, although the small batch has been everywhere lately.

And not on the Blanton fanboy train, but i am looking for as requested by one of my clients. Guess I'll just have to luck into one around Houston - or just get him something better
jh0400
AG
I've got an extra I'd be willing to part with.

Edit: EHT not Blantons
RaylanGivens
Yep, the EH Taylor SB has got the dreaded "allocated" moniker now...sad stuff folks
Credible Source
AG
SpiderDude said:

I haven't seen Stagg Jr. anywhere. F***ing BT squatters.

I've got one you can have
SpiderDude
AG
Yes sir, Old Forester Rye is on my bar and a regular in my Rye cocktails.
SpiderDude
AG
Don't mind if I do.
SpiderDude
AG
So I visited Treaty Oak Distillery two weeks ago and sampled their wares. I really liked their Red Handed Rye with a 10 year age statement tho I didn't buy it at the time, electing instead to take 2 of their gins (which I loved) home instead. I regretted not walking away with that Rye. So I saw it on the shelf at a local store and decided to bite. I started to doubt myself cuz at $65 I could have bought 2 decent value bottles but I just poured a glass and I'm 100% happy with it. Nice apple notes, touch of caramel, good balance of sweet and spicey. Edit: And yes, I know it's sourced. Canadian Rye is my homeboy so it's all good.
turfman80
AG
Picked up a bottle of OF 1920 to add to my still meager bourbon stash.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
agcrock2005
AG
Good stuff IMO.
jah003
S
I rarely drink Bourbon, but keep it around for when people come over... stumbled upon a Stagg Jr. at Twin Liquors the other day. Also grabbed a High West Double Rye.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I also stumbled upon a bottle of Stagg Jr at Twin Liquors; as well as two bottles of Buffalo Trace. Another store I went to today had about 4 1.75L BT's and 6 0.75L BT's.
Also got a 1792 store pick from Oak Liquor Cabinet.
SpiderDude
AG
turfman80 said:

Picked up a bottle of OF 1920 to add to my still meager bourbon stash.

That's a very good bourbon. I have a bottle. I read a whiskey critic blog/article where he named OF 1920 "most nuanced bourbon". There's a lot going on in that bourbon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Which 1792? I have his BiB I need to open
Fall92
AG
Had a good week. Picked up a Blood Oath Pact 3, NASA store pick MM Select, OF1920 and an OGD114.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
agcrock2005
AG
Fall92 said:

Had a good week. Picked up a Blood Oath Pact 3, NASA store pick MM Select, OF1920 and an OGD114.
People will give you crap for the Blood Oath but I have one and it's awesome. I don't care if it's blended.
SpiderDude
AG
Good God can the bourbon market cool off for a hot minute?! Just stopped by a local mom and pop store in Cedar Park. $100 for EH Taylor BIB Rye, $200 for ET Lee. $300 for Weller BP. They've officially jumped the shark with their pricing. But some SOB will no doubt pay that.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Weller BP?
SpiderDude
AG
Weller CYPB (Barrel Proof)
Post removed:
by user
SpiderDude
AG
Sorry... you're right. I thought this was the Weller BP I'd heard about but it's not. Stands for Craft Your Perfect Bourbon.
SpiderDude
AG
Still ridiculously overpriced. Total Wine will sell it for $38... good luck finding it on stock tho.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Debs liquor?

She's always high and has a north location I'm pretty sure.
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Debs liquor?

She's always high and has a north location I'm pretty sure.

Don's
Aggie Pharmer
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Which 1792? I have his BiB I need to open

Just the Single Barrel store pick. I had to choose between that and the BiB. Looked like they had plenty.
First Page Last Page
Page 366 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.