Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,473 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ryeguy
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vpracer said:

Rio Brazos - Texas Bourbon Whiskey

Specs guy just talked me into it. Anyone had it? Did I get shanked on the deal?

Yes. I think it's disgusting. YMMV.
AGGIEZ99
AG
AggieBarstool said:

vpracer said:

Ask the Specs guys what they recommend, then avoid it like the plague...and I won't buy "Texas" bourbon for another 10 years. I think that's usually crap sourced bourbon with a "Texas" label slapped on it. They're trying to take advantage of the "Texas Pride" and capture market that way instead of actually selling good drinking bourbon.
WES2006AG
AG
The only recommendations worse than the ones from Specs are the ones from Total Wine
John Francis Donaghy
Agreed. Store reps dont have to push good whiskey. They push the bad stuff because they need to move it off the shelf.
WES2006AG
AG
I get a chuckle out of the new Specs bourbon adds. Come in and let our experts help you find something you haven't heard of is code for we don't have what you want but will push some crap off on you instead.
FarmersFightAg
AG
AGGIEZ99 said:

AggieBarstool said:

vpracer said:

Ask the Specs guys what they recommend, then avoid it like the plague...and I won't buy "Texas" bourbon for another 10 years. I think that's usually crap sourced bourbon with a "Texas" label slapped on it. They're trying to take advantage of the "Texas Pride" and capture market that way instead of actually selling good drinking bourbon.

If memory serves me well, I don't recall the Rio Brazos line as being sourced. Thought this was from Nate Barkman's group in College Station he started a few years back, with all his stuff very young (like the white whiskey). I don't remember the bourbon as disgusting, but was always more as a novelty item for being from CS.

For what its worth on other 'Texas' brands, often times the juice is sourced from much bigger groups like Sazerac, who do have plenty 'good drinking bourbon...'
Chuck Hythloday
AG
Are you guys aware of any good spots in Abilene?
turfman80
AG
If anyone in B/CS is looking for the now rare 'Eagle Rare', the WB in the Bryan Kroger shopping center has 11 bottles on the shelf. $29.99
LawHall88
AG
In San Antonio, I just left Gabriel's on Callaghan and I-10 and they had three bottles of Eagle Rare on the shelf (after I relieved them of 2).
CactusThomas
AG
Chuck Hythloday said:

Are you guys aware of any good spots in Abilene?

Hell yeah.
Taco Bueno
Chuck Hythloday
AG
Haha. What about liquor stores?
AGGIEZ99
AG
FarmersFightAg said:

AGGIEZ99 said:

AggieBarstool said:

vpracer said:

If memory serves me well, I don't recall the Rio Brazos line as being sourced. Thought this was from Nate Barkman's group in College Station he started a few years back, with all his stuff very young (like the white whiskey). I don't remember the bourbon as disgusting, but was always more as a novelty item for being from CS.

For what its worth on other 'Texas' brands, often times the juice is sourced from much bigger groups like Sazerac, who do have plenty 'good drinking bourbon...'
I guess we found the Rio Brazos rep on the boards...we'll agree to disagree. The Texas brands taste like water straight out of the Brazos...hard pass for me for now.
AggieBarstool
turfman80 said:

If anyone in B/CS is looking for the now rare 'Eagle Rare', the WB in the Bryan Kroger shopping center has 11 bottles on the shelf. $29.99
Must have flown off the shelves quick. I was there not long after the timestamp on your post and they had nothing of note.

Anyone here know of any place in B/CS that has Stagg Jr.?
hammerhead
They usually have those available. Been buying them for years. Comes in on a Wednesday I think.
Brad_97
AG
Geez - did it just seem like old label ECBP went through the roof in the last month on secondary? Did I miss something? Seems like all old label going for $150 now with mid-older batches pushing $200 not even counting the Hazmat. Saw someone offer $375 for the hazmat!

Used to try to search around now and again and try to snag a deal...

Lotta interest in Bookers of late also.
dummble
AG
O Snap

I have an old label ECBP.

WTT for pappiz10 or 15 bottles of 750w12, local only obvi
Credible Source
AG
Brad_97 said:

Geez - did it just seem like old label ECBP went through the roof in the last month on secondary? Did I miss something? Seems like all old label going for $150 now with mid-older batches pushing $200 not even counting the Hazmat. Saw someone offer $375 for the hazmat!

Used to try to search around now and again and try to snag a deal...

Lotta interest in Bookers of late also.

Damn! I've got a few of those.
Rio Brazos Distillery
vpracer said:

Thank you for your interest in our spirits! We are a locally owned, family owned company -- the first and only licensed distillery in the history of Brazos County. We distill our whiskey from small batches of sweet corn and roasted barley in a 500-gallon pot still.

Our double-distillation process involves four all-day cooks, four all-day stripping runs and a final, 13-hour long spirit run. The grain solids left over from whiskey-making are donated to a local company that grows insects for poultry farming. Our whiskey is mashed, fermented, distilled, aged and bottled unfiltered, by hand here in our distillery. It is sold in fine spirits stores, bars and restaurants in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Colorado and Illinois.

Please come out and visit us when you get a chance. I would love to give you a free tour and show you how we are crafting world class bourbon from grain to glass and keeping the money here in College Station, Texas.
CharlieBrown17
AG
ECBP A119 has been posted on heaven hills website.

135.2 proof
FarmersFightAg
AG
Not a rep for anybody. Just a fan of all bourbons, and enjoy some more than others.
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

ECBP A119 has been posted on heaven hills website.

135.2 proof

Nice!!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Let me know if you're still cutting back on bourbon.
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Let me know if you're still cutting back on bourbon.

Well not at that proof I'm not
Saint Pablo
Any recommendations for a $20-30 bottle of bourbon? I'm a poor college kid and my dad has helped me develop a taste for bourbon...any good recommendations for stuff that isn't too pricy to hold me over until I start making better money? TIA
John Francis Donaghy
Anything "Bottle in Bond" will be good enough to enjoy neat or on the rocks.

Be a college kid. Buy a 1.75 of Evan Williams White Label for $20, and use the other $10 to buy a drink for a girl at a bar.
CharlieBrown17
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Anything "Bottle in Bond" will be good enough to enjoy neat or on the rocks.

Be a college kid. Buy a 1.75 of Evan Williams White Label for $20, and use the other $10 to buy a drink for a girl at a bar.

Or three doubles at the chicken on Thursday
Credible Source
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Any recommendations for a $20-30 bottle of bourbon? I'm a poor college kid and my dad has helped me develop a taste for bourbon...any good recommendations for stuff that isn't too pricy to hold me over until I start making better money? TIA

Old grandad 114
Fall92
AG
If you're looking for good bottom shelfers, i'd recommend Old Charter and Very Old Barton for the college kid.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
BeardofZeus01
AG
You want a decent bottle to drink neat or rocks?

Larceny, Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig and my personal favorite bourbon in that price range ... Russell's Reserve 10yr

If not, do like every other college kid before you and buy the biggest, cheapest shelf turd you can find and smother it in soda ... it all tastes the same in a Coke or 7Up. And like JFD said, spend your extra money on the ladies.
FTAco07
AG
First time poster on this thread. I got a little deal gift at the office yesterday and I thought you guys would appreciate it.

1973 Very Old Fitzgerald (VOF) Stitzel Weller 8 Year. Distilled in fall 1964 and bottled in spring 1973. 1964 was the last year "Pappy" Van Winkle himself ran the Stitzel-Weller distillery. This isn't getting opened until the Ags win a national championship.

2018 Heaven Hill 27 Year (pre-fire). Notable bottle, as it was distilled before Heaven Hill's massive fire in 1996 that wiped out all but 41 barrels from 1989 and 1990. Less than 3k bottles produced, and at 27 years in the barrel it is going to be incredibly oaky. This one will get opened when the Ags win the SEC or the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

K-Bob
AG
I hope you will be opening both those bottles soon!
tripperwill
AG
Freaking awesome!
Credible Source
AG
K-Bob said:

I hope you will be opening both those bottles soon!

Don't count on it
Wheatables02
AG
Very Old Fitz Boner.
boogieman
AG
Very nice
First Page Last Page
Page 360 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.