Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,640 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ryeguy
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the dude10 said:

I prefer the Taylor rye, but when talking value I would go with pikesville

The EHT Taylor rye has a really boring rye profile to me. Pikesville is better to me, higher rye mashbills are better than both
Boat Shoes
AG
Ran across a bottle of Van Winkle 12 Yr on the shelf today and thought I'd scored an epic win until I was informed they wanted $1,100 for the bottle.
Post removed:
by user
Boat Shoes
AG
How hard is it to find Weller 12 these days and what's a reasonable price?
the dude10
AG
Well at least we agree that higher rye mashbills are better.
the dude10
AG
No kidding. I had a store owner last week act like he was doing me a huge favor when he mentioned he had a bottle of handy if I wanted it. I was pretty interested until he told me it was $600 lol
Post removed:
by user
jh0400
AG
****ing taters. As long as they stay away from my ********, *****, & ***** we'll be good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
If you're referring to my post, yes I got some Eagle Rare. It's a great bourbon and I got it for a great price point, so I'll boast. Didn't have to overspend for it.

If you live elsewhere it can be easy to find, but since moving back to Texas I don't see it or Blantons, etc. like I used to. Doesn't mean it's lesser value or not as good if one has trouble finding it. Not all markets are the same.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The ER scarcity is a TX thing. I'm in Denver and it's all over the place.
aTm '99
Farmer1906
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

The ER scarcity is a TX thing. I'm in Denver and it's all over the place.
And its annoying AF.

ER is was my goto. I always kept a bottle on hand and was my 'daily' drinker along with 4R & EC.
jh0400
AG
Is it scarce because not enough comes here, or have enough people come to believe that it's scarce that they clear the shelves whenever they see it? I tend to believe it's the latter, because I don't hunt for bourbon nearly as much as a lot of people and usually come across at least a few bottles when I'm out shopping for other stuff in Houston.
CactusThomas
AG
It's not scarce in my area but I understand why it is some places - its $27 a bottle and you would need to spend over $50 to get a better whiskey.
John Francis Donaghy
CactusThomas said:

It's not scarce in my area but I understand why it is some places - its $27 a bottle and you would need to spend over $50 to get a better whiskey.

Bull.

There are tons of comparable bourbons to ER in same price range. They just arent made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. People have gone nuts for anything and everything Buffalo Trace.

I went to a store while doing my Christmas shopping and the sales guy was telling me that they had gotten some Buffalo Trace (regular old Buffalo Trace, not even a store pick or anything) in that morning and people were lined up outside the store to buy it as soon as the doors opened. Sold out the whole delivery in less than 5 minutes. That is utter insanity. The ER "shortage" is just as absurd.
752bro4
AG
BT bourbon cream at specs Addison for anyone looking today. 11 left.
aggielostinETX
AG
Reading this thread whilst hungover is a bad idea
CactusThomas
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

CactusThomas said:

Bull.

There are tons of comparable bourbons to ER in same price range. They just arent made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. People have gone nuts for anything and everything Buffalo Trace.

I went to a store while doing my Christmas shopping and the sales guy was telling me that they had gotten some Buffalo Trace (regular old Buffalo Trace, not even a store pick or anything) in that morning and people were lined up outside the store to buy it as soon as the doors opened. Sold out the whole delivery in less than 5 minutes. That is utter insanity. The ER "shortage" is just as absurd.

Well, if you have access to plenty of good, mature bourbons at $27, why do you care that eagle rare is desirable?
John Francis Donaghy
CactusThomas said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

CactusThomas said:

Bull.

Well, if you have access to plenty of good, mature bourbons at $27, why do you care that eagle rare is desirable?

Because I'm annoyed by stupidity, irrationality, and mob mentality. The current Buffalo Trace craze checks all 3 boxes. And the direct result on me is that stores are hiding and allocating, and price gouging on things I might otherwise want to buy because of the crowds of dummies clearing shelves of everyday items thinking they made some big score to brag about on Facebook.
rshackelford
AG
The ER scarcity is surprising. Was chatting with a coworker the other day about bourbon and he asked what I liked, started rattling off some names. Said I recently finished a bottle of ER 10 and he was shocked. "What!?! You had ER! You can't get that anywhere I've been looking for it for over a year how did you find it??" He was even more shocked that I paid $25 for it. I haven't specifically looked for another bottle but now that it's been mentioned I haven't seen it anywhere. Shame. I really liked it. Should have grabbed another. I'm sure it's up to $50+ a bottle now
Ducks4brkfast
AG
ER grows on trees in Omaha, Nebraska.

I saw one on the shelf here last week for $36.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Buffalo trace just has weird distribution. Texas gets way more of all three normal wellers but less ER10. In Mississippi there's always ER10 but rarely even WSR
88Warrior
On a different note..The wife and I did the Garrison Bros. tour over in Hye today. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half. Nice scenery and good sampling. Veterans discount as well!
CrottyKid
AG
Sounds like I need to bring a couple of cases of ER with me next time I am driving down to Texas.
62strat
AG
third coast.. said:

I really don't understand where they get these valuations from. Its absurd.

My local store sells their allocations by silent auction with all money over retail going to the local task force.

Vw12 went for exactly $1100.

The valuations come from what people are willing to pay.

This year's winning bids:
Pappy 23yr $3,000
20yr $1,700
15yr $1,500
12yr $1,100
10yr $750
Saz 18yr $1,300..

Of all their allocations (I think 15 bottles) they raised $10k+.

If I were to ever pay these secondary prices, I'd do it at this auction. Not give it to some schmuck on the internet.
Post removed:
by user
62strat
AG
third coast.. said:

Yea but you can get those all for less delivered to your doorstep, thats why it makes no sense.
whatever is over retail price goes to local charity, so, yeh it makes sense for a lot of people. Not to mention removing the risk of fraud.
Post removed:
by user
Credible Source
AG
Eagle rare sucks
BeardofZeus01
AG
Carl Hungus said:

Eagle rare sucks

I've always thought that too, along with W12/W107, but keep that under wraps CH ... let the hipsters continue to chase what you don't like in an effort to retain better availability of your preferred bottles.
rshackelford
AG
Far from a hipster. I fell in love with eagle rare long before I even heard it was a fashionable whiskey.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Folks on this thread are getting awfully sensitive lately ... I wasn't calling everyone who likes ER a "hipster" ...
htxag09
AG
Wait.....are you a hipster if you like Eagle Rare because it's now popular or if you don't like Eagle Rare to not be part of the popular crowd????

I can't keep up...
rshackelford
AG
Lol it's whatever man. Everyone can like what they like. I WISH ER wasn't so popular so I could get another bottle for cheap AF
LPHA
AG
Has anyone had the Weller CYPB? What's a good price for it?
First Page Last Page
Page 355 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.