Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,703 Views | 38480 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by rca21978
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If he drinks Woodford I'd be careful getting him a high proof bourbon unless you know for sure he likes them. OF1896 or OF1910 are both readily available lower proof options.
John Francis Donaghy
When you start talking about $50+, most of the good options are pretty difficult to find.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof would be a great bottle if you can find one. They usually sell out within a few hours of arriving at a store.

Bookers might be a good option if it hasn't gotten too hard to find. I honestly dont know if it has succumbed to the bourbon insanity yet. If not, it probably will soon.
jh0400
AG
What about Whistlepig Old World? It's slightly over $100, readily available, and lower proof.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
jh0400 said:

over $100, readily available, and lower proof.
sounds like a formula for suckiness
jh0400
AG
Lower proof ryes are actually not bad. Micther's single barrel is a go-to of mine, and it's a good midweek sipper at 86 proof.
tandrus
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I need a bourbon recommendation. Long story short, our son's nanny is pregnant and my father in law is doing us a huge favor by coming down for a month to watch our son during the day. I want to buy him a nice bourbon as a thank you gift that he can drink while he's at our place. I would like to spend in the 75-100 dollar range and for reference, his bourbon of choice is Woodford Reserve. I was thinking Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Old Forester 1920 or Barrell Bourbon 14, but I'm open to other recs. Thanks.
EHT Single Barrel, Belle Meade Cask Strength are a couple.

A lot of the barrel strength stuff could be a big jump from Woodford. You may be able to find some Woodford Master's Collection could be a good fit if you can find it.
Wheatables02
AG
If he drinks Woodford as his choice, there is a high chance he knows nothing about bourbon. Find something to expand his horizons.
Credible Source
AG
I disagree, its a decent bourbon and my go to when I'm at bars that don't focus on bourbon. Based on a similar OP on Reddit, it looks like similar flavor profiles he would enjoy are Rowan's creek, Michters 10 year, and the Old Foresters.
Ringo88
AG
Hard to go wrong with ECBP. This year it should be easier to find.
barney94
AG
Makers' Mark Cask Strength is really good if you can find some.

I have OF 1920, 1910, Weller Antique, and Weller 12 in my cabinet now, and the MM cask strength stands up just fine in that crowd in my opinion. It is high proof, around 115 depending on the cask it comes from, but still smooth enough for a Woodford drinker most likely.

Ringo88
AG
barney94, I didn't want to go overboard on recommendations, but I did a MM Private Select barrel pick this summer which turned out very well. I still have some left if desired.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ringo88 said:

barney94, I didn't want to go overboard on recommendations, but I did a MM Private Select barrel pick this summer which turned out very well. I still have some left if desired.

I've wanted to try this. WB had a MM Private Select, this is the ones with the added staves to the barrel?
aTm '99
Ringo88
AG
Yes. Was Gift Shop only for awhile; was the only way to get 46 Cask Strength.
I've tried 11-12 of them now; some are great and some can be "meh". I honed in on a stave recipe a lot of folks liked, and came up with a smooth barrel that can really sneak up on you.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Gonna share the blend?
aTm '99
Ringo88
AG
Ducks4Breakfast already has a bottle. He'll be able to give a more objective opinion.
Buck Compton
AG
Rowan's Creek is a good partial step up from Woodford.

I have found that it's a good one to begin to step people up from the 80-90 proof range to the ~100 range. Once they're comfortable with it, step up to Noah's Mill, which is about 115, but has a very similar flavor profile. Then at that point, they're hooked on higher proof bourbons.

If you don't go that direction, the MM Private Select is a good suggestion, too (as long as it's the right blend). Otherwise, it'll be much too hot for a Woodford drinker as primary.
LPHA
AG
What would be the most you fine people would consider spending on a bottle of the GTS Antique Collection?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
jh0400
AG
$200
LPHA
AG
It's the 2018. I'm trying to negotiate and don't want to leave money on the table, but don't want to offend the guy by low-balling.
CharlieBrown17
AG
third coast.. said:

i should clarify, thats the going secondary price, not what i would spend.

I would say 400 is closer to secondary for GTS. Seeing lots go between 390-420 for 18 on BSM.

I agree that 200 is the most I'd personally spend
Post removed:
by user
Credible Source
AG
The 17 was voted whiskey of the year for 2018 and that jacked the price up. If you REALLY want a GTS, $350 isn't obscene, depending on your financial situation. If your bourbon budget is tight, I wouldn't do it, but if you have the cash and want it, get it. I think it's better than the Van winkle bourbons up to 15 year, it's outstanding.
Post removed:
by user
CharlieBrown17
AG
Grabbed a bottle of the OE117 today.

Had it over the weekend following a pour of GTS '17 and it wasn't completely blown away by the GTS which gave me hope.

Cracked it tonight, this is excellent. It's not GTS/quality years of PHC but it's damn good.

Pretty disappointed it got all the press it did the last month, this is one I've been waiting on since it was announced and was only able to get a bottle of the case my guy got in. Should get a back up after the first of the year.
CactusThomas
AG
How does OE117 compare with OE800?
CharlieBrown17
AG
CactusThomas said:

Tastier, but more dangerous to play Johnny FortyHands with.
LPHA
AG
He's stuck at $300. That's more than I feel comfortable with but if someone near Houston wants it I'll gladly pick it up
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
Wheatables02 said:

If he drinks Woodford as his choice, there is a high chance he knows nothing about bourbon. Find something to expand his horizons.

I don't think he's super knowledgeable or a connoisseur, I just know that he drinks Woodford a few times a week and thought it would be nice to have something a little different here while he's watching my kid. He's 70 years old, so I don't think he cares about having his horizons expanded at this point in life.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

CactusThomas said:

Tastier, but more dangerous to play Johnny FortyHands with.

I thought it was Edward 40 Hands
BeardofZeus01
AG
Sounds like if you really want to thank him, just buy him 4 bottles of Woodford. My dad is 70 and is the same way ... has no desire to venture outside his daily sipper. And is happy as hell when someone buys him a bottle of it.
07ag
AG
all this talk about top shelf unicorns,, what are your bottom shelf favorite go-to bourbons? i usually stick with evan williams, picked up a bottle of very old barton last night for $11, look forward to trying it out
CactusThomas
AG
TW Samuel's

It's not good. But its tradition.
First Page Last Page
Page 349 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.