Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,572 Views | 38699 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by Science Denier
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks... that sets my expectations. As of today, the Specs in Austin hadn't received anything except standard Sazerac (which is a joke since I'm from NOLA, and its readily available year round there).
Atty_Ag
austinag,

I fear you are out of luck. I got my Stagg in Austin two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for Eagle Rare and Weller.
TxKng82
AG
Yeah there are a few stores in htown who have not got there's yet. Talked to the distributor a few days back and he was still waiting to distribute his allocation out to his territory. Should be very soon.
austinag1997
AG
Atty,

Hmm, my Spec's hasn't received theirs yet. I'll have to ask my other stops whether they have received it yet.
FlyFish95
Not all Specs stores is getting some. I had a guy there tell me the smaller stores wont get any.
Atty_Ag
In Austin, they hit the main stores and few of the others. The one out in Bee Cave by me won't get any. Neither will the one on 620 near Anderson Mill. You have to get on the list at the big ones on Airport (Highland Mall), Arbor Walk, and Brodie. I didn't get mine at Spec's because everybody goes to Spec's. Plus, in my experience, since Spec's is based in Houston, they hoard stuff and send very little to Austin. I think you will have far better chances if you use Twin.
FlyFish95
My suggestion would be to find a handful of mom and pop stores that get this stuff every year, but your stuff from them, and make nice.
ka
I would also take what spec's employees are saying with a grain of salt. Often there's a lot of confusion within the staff about what is actually happening with this stuff.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
My suggestion would be to find a handful of mom and pop stores that get this stuff every year, but your stuff from them, and make nice.

This is obviously the preferred option, but it doesn't work as well at it used to. The problem is that a lot of the mom and pop shops are seeing their allocation get slashed. I had a couple places I had good relationships with, but they are lucky to get a bottle or two out of the whole Pappy/BTAC/Four Roses LE group.

There are some that still get their allocation every year, but I just haven't found a way to go back in time to get on the list before the 2 guys that have been shopping there for 15-20 years.
austinag1997
AG
I am aware that only certain Spec's stores receive an allocation.

I was able to pick up bottles of Stagg and ER17 this morning. I was quoted $299 for PVW 20 and $479 for PVW 23 this morning. Ridiculous prices.

Also, Pappy is shipped in cases of 3, so I don't buy that a store with an allocation gets only 1 or 2 bottles. I just don't think that is an honest response on the part of the retailer.

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 11/7/2013 11:58a).]
FarmersFightAg
AG
^^^^^Where were you quoted those prices?

specs:
20 year should be around $150

23 year is at $299

And some stores do only get a bottle or two, despite the 3 case sz

[This message has been edited by FarmersFightAg (edited 11/7/2013 12:45p).]
austinag1997
AG
I was quoted high prices at two smaller liquor stores. I'll inquire at Specs later today.
FlyFish95
I agree with Farmers Fight. Those prices do look more accurate. I've heard over and over from many store owners that they often do get less than a case of what is allocated to them.
proudaggie02
AG
I got my 1st Pappy (12 yr) bottle of the year this morning. I got there 5 minutes before the doors opened, and I was about 35th in line. My guess is there were between 15-20 bottles total of 15, 20, and 23.

I'm going to stop by on my way home from work to see if there is any remaining bottles of Stagg, Stagg Jr, Eagle Rare 17, WL Weller, or Sazerac 18. Let me know if anyone is interested in any particular BTAC bottle or possibly the Pappy 12.
austinag1997
AG
Dry,

I think there must be some price gouging occuring. Relative to allotment quantities, I'm just surprised a distributor would split cases.
FlyFish95
proudaggie02,

Where are you located?
tx4guns
AG
proudaggie,

I'm interested in whatever you can find. My email is in my profile.
proudaggie02
AG
DryFly- I'm in Denver.

tx4guns- I'll email you.
htxag09
AG
proudaggie02, I would be interested as well.

username at gmail dot com
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
proudaggie, I'd be interested in 12. Hit you up last year, but I think I responded to your e-mail too late. Let me know if you have any available after the above posters get theirs.
coachallout
AG
Would be interested in the Eagle Rare 17, for sure.
FarmersFightAg
AG
Distributors split cases all the time. Very common for special ordering a product in
austinag1997
AG
Farmer,

Thanks for clarifying/correcting.
ChopThemHorns
DryFly - thanks to you..I picked up the last bottle of George T Stagg at the Sugar Land Specs...thanks for paying it forward...may Pappy be in your future!

Class of '09
A WHOOP
FlyFish95
Which Specs did you go to?
austinag1997
AG
So what is the going rate per bottle for the BTAC?
FlyFish95
I've been seeing $72.
austinag1997
AG
Gouged!
ChopThemHorns
The one closest to town center...a street or two down from lexington...manager said they had a few cases of Pappy that went out the first day also.
FlyFish95
Did you pay more than $72 or are you saying $72 is gouging?
FlyFish95
Chop,

Did you get it today?
ChopThemHorns
yep...at 3:30
FlyFish95
What else did you see there? I've been by there a few times per week recently and saw nothing. I got my Stagg at the Specs at 762 and 59. Did they have that stuff in the case by the Scotch?
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Did you pay more than $72 or are you saying $72 is gouging?

Oh no... I paid well in excess of $72.
Icecream_Ag
S
its $69 with a specs key BTW.

Just thought I'd make you feel a little worse.
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.