Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,823 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ryeguy
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol
Propane & Accessories
AG
My dad brother and I are doing the Garrison Brother's tour what exactly comes with the tour and sampling?
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
tx4guns
AG
Taste mash, taste white dog, see the facility, one pour in their barn bar, maybe a taste of a single barrel in the bottling room. You can buy single barrel bottles for like $79 and dip your own wax. I put my Aggie ring in the wax on top.
Ringo88
AG
FWIW, Old Fitzgerald 11 yr BIB hit in my city today. Beautiful bottle, nice box. Juice is completely meh. I'd expect it to be 11 yr old Larceny, but I'm really not sure of that at this point. It's not horrible, but it's not worth $100+ either. Sorry... I'd really hoped to be able to share great news about it.
Credible Source
AG
Bummer, I just got one and haven't opened it yet.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Old Fitz is probably the perfect example of the current bubble in bourbon. People buying cases at 100-120 each and immediately selling all of them for 300 each solely because it's new and pretty
Trinity Ag
S
Just picked up a bottle of Weller Antique 107 from the Specs on Texas.

I put my name on the list about 8 months ago.

I keep the WL Special Reserve in my rotation, and am fired up to try out their beefier offering.

Pretty much all Buffalo Trace offerings other that WL Weller and Buffalo Trace are like hens teeth in the retail market.
plowboy1065
S
You have to be on a list for OWA? You need to get around more to the smaller shops
CharlieBrown17
AG
Speaking of stopping at smaller stores, I just grabbed a bottle of ECBP B518 at retail at a small store in Mississippi
Trinity Ag
S
plowboy1065 said:

You have to be on a list for OWA? You need to get around more to the smaller shops
I haven't seen it anywhere in B/CS.

Kind of nice to pick up a full liter for under $30!
agcrock2005
AG
agcrock2005 said:

There were 3, now 2 blood oath bottles left at specs in Denton. Know nothing about it but guy said it was good and he's only seen it twice in 2 years so I got one. $81.
Although i didn't realize it was "sourced bourbon" when I bought it, a buddy and I opened it up last night and I thought it was great neat. It's the Pact 4 for reference. Says it's made up of three different bourbons.
Quote:

The first, an extra-aged 12-year-old bourbon, provides a mellow, smooth finish with deep oak undertones. The second, a rich 10-year-old bourbon, provides warm caramel and honey flavors. The third, a 9-year-old bourbon finished in toasted bourbon barrels, adds deep chocolate, vanilla with extra spice.
Kind of tasted like a really good eagle rare mixed with a little spice like a 4 roses single barrel.
aad03
AG
Trinity Ag said:

plowboy1065 said:

What did you drink before you were told to like Weller?
Class of '03
Trinity Ag
S
aad03 said:

Trinity Ag said:

plowboy1065 said:

What did you drink before you were told to like Weller?
Why you gotta be an a--hole?

I like a lot of Bourbon. Weller isn't my favorite, but it is decent for what it costs -- and is in my rotation. I like it better than Larceny or Maker's among the common wheaters, and like to keep a variety in stock.

I'd never actually had the Antique until now -- I'm not a hound for rare bottles, and it is tough to find. Even in Kentucky. After two pours, I think it is pretty damn good, but I haven't tried it "side by side" with anything else yet.

Personally, I think half of Bourbon pricing is a scam, and don't believe most $50-80 bottles are actually better than those you can find at the $25-35 dollar price point. At least not to my unsophisticated palate.

Besides the Weller, what I've got sitting on my bar right now, in order of how I would rate them for quality/value:

Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 (came out of a 15 yo barrel, got it from the Distillery)
Wild Turkey 101 (about the best value in bourbon)
Knob Creek 100 (my house whiskey -- I keep a decanter of this, and usually one of Weller SR)
OGD 114 (about the best value in the "high proof" range)
Buffalo Trace (my favorite mixing bourbon)
Angel's Envy (good bottle; not worth what I paid for it, IMO)
Booker's (not worth the premium over Knob Creek 120 or OGD 114)
Woodford Reserve (Good, but too oaky for me.)
Basil Haydens (Gift; weak. Not worth what they charge for it)
Wyoming Whiskey (Gift; supposed to be best whiskey made in Wyoming. Dubious honor)

I also like Four Roses Small Batch & Single Barrel (in that order) but don't have any on hand at the moment.

If I let people tell me what to like, I would be here talking about Stagg or EH Taylor.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I have an open liter of Weller 12 in College Station if you ever want a pour or to do a side by side
LawHall88
AG
So in my quest to broaden my bourbon horizons, I picked up two bottles that are new to me:

Charles Goodnight 100 proof
MB Roland uncut and unfiltered

Might open and sample tonight. Any thoughts on these two?

Trinity Ag
S
LawHall88 said:

So in my quest to broaden my bourbon horizons, I picked up two bottles that are new to me:

Charles Goodnight is quality merchant whiskey, sourced from Wild Turkey.

It is 6yo 100 proof, and I thought it was pretty decent, but expensive for what it is. Like other boutique merchant brands, you are going to pay a hefty premium for the marketing.

I don't think there is any Texas connection to it other than the name, but that isn't a bad thing -- as most of the Texas-distilled whiskey I've had is pretty bad, especially for the cost.

I personally don't think it is 2x as good as WT101 -- and is probably blended from the same barrels -- but it is an interesting bottle for the shelf.

Never had MB Roland.
LawHall88
AG
Trinity Ag said:

LawHall88 said:

Charles Goodnight is quality merchant whiskey, sourced from Wild Turkey.

It is 6yo 100 proof, and I thought it was pretty decent, but expensive for what it is. Like other boutique merchant brands, you are going to pay a hefty premium for the marketing.

I don't think there is any Texas connection to it other than the name, but that isn't a bad thing -- as most of the Texas-distilled whiskey I've had is pretty bad, especially for the cost.

I personally don't think it is 2x as good as WT101 -- and is probably blended from the same barrels -- but it is an interesting bottle for the shelf.

Never had MB Roland.
Thanks. Yea, the Goodnight was close to $50, but I figured I would give it a shot.

I picked the Roland because someone at Specs (a customer, not an employee) recommended it.
Fall92
AG
THe bottle of MB Roland I have has a major butterscotch taste to it.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
FriedTex
AG
Driving from KC Missouri to Houston tomorrow - any honey holes along the way would appreciated. Please PM
Credible Source
AG
FriedTex said:

Driving from KC Missouri to Houston tomorrow - any honey holes along the way would appreciated. Please PM

If you don't stop at every store on the way home you're doin it wrong.
RenoAg
Hey ease up on Stagg and EHT. Stagg Jr and EHTBP is good stuff. And not complete unicorns.
FriedTex
AG
So my finds were:

2 ECBP
RRSB - for 35 bucks
Staff Jr for 45

Not too shabby
agcrock2005
AG
Damn I wish I could find an ECBP!! Congrats.
Wheatables02
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Damn I wish I could find an ECBP!! Congrats.

I didn't forget.
Trinity Ag
S
RenoAg said:

Hey ease up on Stagg and EHT. Stagg Jr and EHTBP is good stuff. And not complete unicorns.
I'm not busting on them as whiskeys -- just a response to the accusation that liking Weller is somehow lemming behavior. And if it is, that is true of pretty much every whiskey made by Buffalo Trace -- which is enjoying a lot of
market hysteria.
Credible Source
AG
My current open bottles right now are:

EHTBP
ECBP
Belle Mead sherry cask
Hakushu 12
Blantons
Blantons SFTB
Blantons Gold
THH 16
4R OBSQ Bp
4R OESF BP (the better of the 2)
High West Bourye (awesome)
ER
MWND (5,5)
W12
OFBB17
Jack Danielle's barrel proof (amazing)
Widow Jane (awesome)
Stagg Jr
RHF
Hancock Reserve
ETL
SAOS 10 yr SIB
SAOS 11 ye SIB
OWA NCF cheers pick
Blade and bow (what I pour for guests and newbs)
Rhetoric 23

My very favorites in that group, are ECBP and the OWA store pick. Go figure.
tx4guns
AG
I'd make th at same conclusion just looking at your list. Maybe throw THH in there.
CharlieBrown17
AG
This is a fun post. I'll have to see what all is open when I get home tomorrow
Credible Source
AG
Yeah I agree, but I rarely actually take a drink from it. I've got almost 20 ECBPs in stockpile and it's always my go to.
RenoAg
Having small pours tonight of ETL, EC12 - old age stated bottle, Angels Envy then now on Bulleitt 10 yr. Had to stop and comment. I think Bulleitt 10 yr is underrated. It is my favorite of this bunch so far. Future pours tonight include OFBB 2015, RHF and Blantons SFTB. So it may not retain the #1 slot. But compared to all the other shelf turds this Bulleitt 10 shouldn't be ignored in my humble opinion. And it is readily available as opposed to some other "normal" bottles that used to be plentiful. Not crazy expensive either. I'd recommend a try.
RenoAg
Not suggesting Bulleitt 10 is spectacular and maybe the juxtaposition to AE made it stand out in a different way. Just sayin it ain't bad.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I would be interested in an A118 if you could be talked out of one
Credible Source
AG
I have 3, which just the right number for me to open one. Now if you want a C19, I've got those for days. And only one B517 so if you see one let me know.
Credible Source
AG
RenoAg said:

Having small pours tonight of ETL, EC12 - old age stated bottle, Angels Envy then now on Bulleitt 10 yr. Had to stop and comment. I think Bulleitt 10 yr is underrated. It is my favorite of this bunch so far. Future pours tonight include OFBB 2015, RHF and Blantons SFTB. So it may not retain the #1 slot. But compared to all the other shelf turds this Bulleitt 10 shouldn't be ignored in my humble opinion. And it is readily available as opposed to some other "normal" bottles that used to be plentiful. Not crazy expensive either. I'd recommend a try.

Solid drink selection tonight!
FriedTex
AG
sipping on some RR store pick - these always seem to be worth the price
First Page Last Page
Page 318 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.