Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,120 Views | 38726 Replies | Last: 13 sec ago by Bulldog73
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There were 3, now 2 blood oath bottles left at specs in Denton. Know nothing about it but guy said it was good and he's only seen it twice in 2 years so I got one. $81.
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
No clue what that means, but I'll guess that means you don't like it?
jh0400
AG
I'll attempt to interpret "It's no age statement bourbon from a non-distilling producer, and these are typically not worth that price."
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
Cool. I'll put it next to the Blantons and 4 roses single barrel that I don't like.
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
Appreciate the input.
FlyFish95
Isn't the bourbon game pretty much over now?
TXAG 05
AG
DryFly said:

Isn't the bourbon game pretty much over now?

Hope so. I'm ready for something else to be the new rage so we don't have to go on treasure hunts for common bourbons. Looks like ryes seem to be getting a lot more popular, maybe that's the next thing for trend followers to ruin.
CharlieBrown17
AG
And here I was branching out into rye to avoid some of the bourbon stupidity
Fall92
AG
No kidding. I actually had a dream last night I passed a liquor store with a window full of Blanton's. Glad I didn't tell my wife this morning otherwise she would've asked why I didn't turn back.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
TXAG 05
AG
Good thing. We both would have never heard the end of it.
tx4guns
AG
The bourbon game is far from over. Single Barrel picks in Houston are selling out in a matter of minutes. They used to last weeks on the shelf. I wish the taters would move to vodka or gin.
aad03
AG
tx4guns said:

The bourbon game is far from over. Single Barrel picks in Houston are selling out in a matter of minutes. They used to last weeks on the shelf. I wish the taters would move to vodka or gin.
You are correct. Trend followers discovered that bourbon is actually drinkable by itself. Some have branched into rye, just to get out of the mainstream a little bit, but still drink something that tastes like bourbon. But they get to tell people "I actually prefer rye." And that's worth something.

Some tried to pretend they liked gin a year or two ago, but must have finally accepted that gin is gross, and not worth trying to acquire the taste for it.

Mezcal has gotten popular over the last couple years, for the same reason rye has:

"What's your favorite bourbon?" - "Actually, I've been drinking alot of rye."
"What tequila do you like?" - "Actually, I've been drinking more mezcal."

Rum is smooth and sweet enough for anybody to drink, so I don't think it will become a trend.
Scotch has already been figured out, so there's nothing there for the hipsters.

I don't know what's next. Mead? Tepache?
Class of '03
Ducks4brkfast
AG
people are clamoring over armagnac now

tx4guns
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

people are clamoring over armagnac now

Fake news! Fake news!
Ducks4brkfast
FlyFish95
Quote:

Well, at least it's over for me. Had a few good years there, but I can't deal with the nonsense any more. If I find a good pour at a restaurant or bar I'll over-pay for it, but I refuse to play the game any more.

I'm making due enjoying the cheaper, more readily accessible stuff I've always liked any way like Larceny.
Credible Source
AG
Larceny has a great nose but the "Bigfoot's dick" notes are overpowering.
AggieBuck, meal credit, cash, outbound?
FlyFish95
That's why it's called whiskey.
FriedTex
AG
Carl Hungus said:

That's an oddly specific tasting note
CharlieBrown17
AG
Had EHT 4G at a bar in Charleston tonight. That's a damn fine pour.

If you any of you *******s get your hands on an extra I'd take it in a heart beat
CharlieBrown17
AG
And if you any of you make it to Charleston ever, check out prohibition on king street. Damn good bar
agcrock2005
AG
You're a silver spoon kid aren't you?!?! When I was in college the only bourbon I had heard of was Jim beam and that was too expensive so we drank Evan Williams. Go chug some natty and do a flaming dp!
BQRyno
AG
No joke. One of the most messed up nights I had in college revolves around what we called "nukes". We weren't 21 and were basically only able to get a hold of jack and an energy drink called nos. Dear god. What a disaster. A decade later I know what whiskey should be.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Traded my soul to Uncle Sam for college. Worked out well enough.
Trinity Ag
S
The irony of bourbon is that the hipness of it isn't actually affecting the prices of quality bourbons -- just the select few "rare" ones.

The bulk of quality, well aged bourbons is still readily available and inexpensive.

Lucky for most of us, hipsters don't realize Wild Turkey 101 -- or a comparable well blended Kentucky bottle -- is as good or better than 95% of the bourbons priced under $100.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for your service!
FriedTex
AG
My go to's are a handle of larceny that i can get at Costco for 40 bucks or Evan Williams BIB handle for 25
CharlieBrown17
AG
The EW BiB is a damn good bargain. Think the buy 2 price at twins is 21/handle.

Had more than a few interesting nights fueled by that
752bro4
AG
Opened up the bottle of Blanton's Gold acquired from Deats tonight. Fantastic stuff, and I hope to pick up more when across the pond this week.
schmellba99
AG
FriedTex said:

Carl Hungus said:

That's an oddly specific tasting note
One wonders how he knows what Bigfoot's dick tastes like. After all, one must have experience to make a comparison, no?
schmellba99
AG
aad03 said:

tx4guns said:

You are correct. Trend followers discovered that bourbon is actually drinkable by itself. Some have branched into rye, just to get out of the mainstream a little bit, but still drink something that tastes like bourbon. But they get to tell people "I actually prefer rye." And that's worth something.

Some tried to pretend they liked gin a year or two ago, but must have finally accepted that gin is gross, and not worth trying to acquire the taste for it.

Mezcal has gotten popular over the last couple years, for the same reason rye has:

"What's your favorite bourbon?" - "Actually, I've been drinking alot of rye."
"What tequila do you like?" - "Actually, I've been drinking more mezcal."

Rum is smooth and sweet enough for anybody to drink, so I don't think it will become a trend.

Scotch has already been figured out, so there's nothing there for the hipsters.

I don't know what's next. Mead? Tepache?
You better not jinx things, because if I have to end up chasing rum like I do bourbon, I may go nuts.

And I'd argue that it is becoming the next popular thing already.
WES2006AG
AG
I've see a decent amount of W12 and Blantons around but it has all been priced ridiculously. $89.99 for Blantons is a pass for me.
First Page Last Page
Page 317 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.