Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,852,579 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TexAgs1992
ka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dryfly. Did you get the FR 125th Anniversary in TX? I haven't seen any yet.
FlyFish95
Yep I got it in Houston. I found a liquor store with a great owner on Friday. I gave her a list of things I was looking for and she called me about 10:30 this morning and said she found a bottle for me. I feel really good about getting a bottle or two of Pappy from her in a couple of weeks too.
ka
I don't want to steal your hookup, but do you think you could get another and we could arrange a trade or I could buy it off of you? I am also in Houston. I have a lot of decent connections in Houston and in other states. Just PM with details (price, etc.) if you're interested.
FlyFish95
I tried to PM you but it didn't go through.
L1rebel
AG
Tried stagg jr today...good stuff. 3 more bottles at pearland liquor on beltway frontage westbound, just west of 288.
FlyFish95
Stagg Jr is mighty strong but packed full of flavor.
austinag1997
AG
That Stagg looks like barrel proof. I just got back from visiting 10 distilleries in KY... you can get almost anything in barrel proof directly at the distilleries.

Came back with a nice bottle of Willett and Four Roses... both barrel proof. Also got to dip my own bottle of Maker's 46.

I haven't seen a bottle or ER17 in the stores in quite some time.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
The PG barrel selection is OESV, which is the same yeast as the standard Single Barrel, but with the lower rye mashbill.

Four Roses has 2 different mashbills and 5 different yeast strains, for 10 separate recipes. Its cool stuff if you are a whiskey nerd.

Nice post. Four Roses is forthright with their various mashbills. Other distilleries do this also... I think they just market the different mashbills under different labels (i.e. Buffalo Trace distillery, Willett Distillery, and Heaven Hill Distillery)
FlyFish95
Has anyone every had the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon?
TxKng82
AG
^^^
Yes, picked up a bottle of OFBB when it hit shelves. It is great stuff. If any of it is still out there id definitely recommend grabbing a bottle.
FlyFish95
When did it come out?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Opened Parkers Heritage 7th last night.

Was able to finish the glass, but had to pour something else to wash the taste out of my mouth. Not a fan.
Quantum ace
AG
OFBB hit town about a month ago, and I bought the last one I saw on a shelf about a week ago. It seems to be a love it or hate it bourbon, and I love it.

You may need to call around, or do a little hunting, but I bet there is still a few bottles somewhere in Houston.
FlyFish95
Thanks.
youandwhosearmy
I hear they can vary quite a bit year to year, but I just finished last years OFBB, and I wasnt a fan.

A nuttier flavor than I usually like, with strong notes of caramel.

I drank the bottle, and I could see how many would like it, just not my favorite.
TxKng82
AG
Yeah they vary year to year. Heard 2011 was really good and last years was not great. A whiskey critic said this was as good or better than the 2011 so I got a bottle and it didn't disappoint.
FlyFish95
I'm hearing 2013 is very good.
Mathguy64
AG
I can report that the new Stagg is just as good as last year. I cracked the bottle this evening. Long legs in the glass and a nose you can take in all day long. The taste is much like last year with lots of dark chocolate on the back end. I did a quick side by side with some 2012 and they are very comparable. Looking forward to taking some time with it.
Atty_Ag
Happy to report that Stagg 2013 has finally reached Austin. I picked mine up today. Looking forward to doing a side by side with 2012, which I thought was one of the best.
austinag1997
AG
Visited Heaven Hill Distillery last week... they certainly were pushing the Parker Heritage subtly. Didn't purchase... suppose I'm glad.
FlyFish95
Where do you live mathguy?
Mathguy64
AG
Aggieland.
FlyFish95
Sounds like CS got it before Houston
Mathguy64
AG
I was on the list at Specs. Got Stagg Jr a couple of weeks ago, Stagg last week and they told me the rest this week. That will about max the bourbon budget for the rest of the year I think.
FlyFish95
I've talked to several of my stores here and they all told me first week of November for Pappy and the BTAC stuff down here. I got a bottle of Stagg Jr here about a month ago.
TxKng82
AG
^^
I know specs on jones rd got stagg a few days ago. They showed to in stock today but no go when I went by. Got WLW in this morning as well but it was gone before I got there. So looks like stores have gotten btac stuff in. Pappy I hear probably next week.
FlyFish95
I need to start poking around then.
ka
Dryfly... BTAC is definitely in Houston. The downtown specs got almost every bottle that came to Houston and distributed all of them to big time wine buyers. Gross. Not sure if any little stores will get any. I do know a store where you can get 2 Thomas H. Handys from last year, but they are way over priced. That store also has Pappy 15 for... wait for it... $400.
Icecream_Ag
S
specs at 290 and jones did have 3 bottles but sold out almost immediately.

the stagg was available for around $70 which puts it out of my current price range, but not near as bad as the pappy.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
That store also has Pappy 15 for... wait for it... $400.

SMDH.
CRM1712
AG
Just got the phone call I was waiting for. ER 17 and another Stagg. Jackpot.
Aggiejue
AG
Anyone seeing BTAC in San Antonio?
FlyFish95
SOB
CRM1712
AG
TxKng82
AG
^^^
Very Nice. Stagg is the last bottle I want to get right now. ER17 would be nice to come across as well but would really like some Stagg this year.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.