Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,366 Views | 38696 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by MediAg13
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bigevent99 said:

boogieman said:

Any Weller 12 left in DFW?
I called 4 places yesterday afternoon in Plano and they are all out.
Heard there's some at the West Plano Costco, if you're member.

I'm not.
aggiemike89
AG
Pm me your address and I'll send you a sample. I have an opened bottle. It's ok but there's better bourbons out there for less. $80 is cheap though.
bevokilla
AG
You don't have to be a member to buy liquor at Costco.
bevokilla
AG
aggiemike89 said:

Pm me your address and I'll send you a sample. I have an opened bottle. It's ok but there's better bourbons out there for less. $80 is cheap though.

I appreciate the offer but I'm ok. I ran across the bottle at Specs and thought I would ask.
boogieman
AG
bevokilla said:

and I'm making a run at lunch time. Thanks for the info.
FriedTex
AG
Is your Costco more like a typical liquor store? Ours is like the rest of the store - about 4-5 offerings at a decent price
AlaskanAg99
AG
Costco here are ran by a 3rd party. The stores are like a small liquor store. Not a huge variety but they get oddball items in. The Katy Costco told me they don't get Weller 12.

I did pick up a 375ml Buffalo Trace store pick for $12.

Robert C. Christian
AG
boogieman said:

bevokilla said:

Hope you called before you went. I called and they were out (both Plano sites). Was able to get the last bottle at Spec's at Park & DNT.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I'll be at the Buffalo trace thing at WB if any of you fine folks wanna hang out...

Win anything? Crowded?
TGoll09
AG
Several of the DFW total wines got ETL and Blanton's today.
boogieman
AG
FrioAg said:

boogieman said:

bevokilla said:

Hope you called before you went. I called and they were out (both Plano sites). Was able to get the last bottle at Spec's at Park & DNT.
Didn't get to go until after lunch, but I saw your post first.

Strike out at Total Wine (North Plan) with ETL and Blantons, too.
bigevent99
AG
boogieman said:

FrioAg said:

boogieman said:

bevokilla said:

Didn't get to go until after lunch, but I saw your post first.

Strike out at Total Wine (North Plan) with ETL and Blantons, too.
I think I called that store while you were there 30 min ago. She said they ran out immediately.
aad03
AG
Weller 12 is garbage. I can't believe people are actually looking for this stuff. Stop thinking you are getting the next best thing to Pappy. What was it selling for 2 years ago, $25? Four Roses Single Barrel and WT Rare Breed are about $40, and are in a different league. Bourbon people know this.
Class of '03
John Francis Donaghy
aad03 said:

Weller 12 is garbage. I can't believe people are actually looking for this stuff. Stop thinking you are getting the next best thing to Pappy. What was it selling for 2 years ago, $25? Four Roses Single Barrel and WT Rare Breed are about $40, and are in a different league. Bourbon people know this.

Believe it or not, some of us bourbon people just like Weller 12.

Personally, I prefer Weller 12 straight up over Pappy 20 and 23. Am I going to pay $100/bottle for it? No.

But saying it's garbage whiskey is drama queen snobbery to an extreme.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree. Complete trash. Let's all make a pact and never ever buy another bottle in the Houston area.
aad03
AG
For people that actually prefer W12, that's great. I'm not a fan of any of the wheated bourbons, I like the bills that are heavier on rye. I'll overpay for a bottle of Garrison's now and then just to support a Texas company that actually makes their bourbon.

There is no reason Weller 12 should be hard to find, or have to be allocated. When word got out a couple years ago that Weller was the "same thing as PVW, only younger and in a different bottle" all the newbs felt like they were let in on a secret. There are too many good bourbons out there to be hunting down Weller 12. Just my opinion, I guess.

But hey, it's the weekend. Bottoms up.
Class of '03
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I'll be at the Buffalo trace thing at WB if any of you fine folks wanna hang out...

Win anything? Crowded?

I won... nothing.

And yeah, there were about 6x more people than at the same event earlier in the month at a different store...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
aad03 said:

For people that actually prefer W12, that's great. I'm not a fan of any of the wheated bourbons, I like the bills that are heavier on rye. I'll overpay for a bottle of Garrison's now and then just to support a Texas company that actually makes their bourbon.

There is no reason Weller 12 should be hard to find, or have to be allocated. When word got out a couple years ago that Weller was the "same thing as PVW, only younger and in a different bottle" all the newbs felt like they were let in on a secret. There are too many good bourbons out there to be hunting down Weller 12. Just my opinion, I guess.

But hey, it's the weekend. Bottoms up.

Weller 12 is absolutely not "trash" - but then again I'm a big wheater.

And I strongly dislike Garrison Brothers, so to each his own I guess...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
aad03 said:

But I agree with you on four roses and rare breed. Thing is you can get them all the time. They're a different flavor profile altogether than Weller, so when Weller 12 comes out fellow wheater are surely going to go after it. I prefer OWA to W12 myself, but I digress.

Hell Wild Turkey 101 would beat out a large portion of most rare, hard to find bourbons on the market in a blind taste test... but people don't want it, because it's wild turkey. Rare breed, Kentucky spirit, and Russel's Reserve are all good bourbons, and you can find some exceptional store picks of these out there.
dmart90
AG
Speaking of Four Roses, anyone seen the 2017 Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Small Batch Bourbon anywhere in Austin?
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Wheatables02
AG
dmart90 said:

Speaking of Four Roses, anyone seen the 2017 Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Small Batch Bourbon anywhere in Austin?
I'm looking for an Al's 50th too when it hits DFW.
aad03
AG
Nuke Laloosh is right. You could re-brand WT 101 and sell it for $50 all day long, if you could make up a story to put on the label.

Anyone try the WT Decades?
Class of '03
Señor Chang
AG
What is ETL going for these days? That is the last somewhat "common" bourbon that I want to add to my bar. Haven't seen it on a store shelf in a couple of years (haven't been looking super hard though).
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Bought it for $38 at Specs last year
AlaskanAg99
AG
aad03 said:

It's not garbage. It's a 12yr shelf turd and at $25-30 it's appropriately priced. I do agree there are better bourbon out there but they're priced higher. The secondary market is bonkers. If you pay $140 for it...it's not going to drink like a $140 bourbon.

As.for WT, I have friends that love it. I dont. I'm a big hoor for Buffalo Trace. Also enjoy 4 Roses. To each their own. When I bought my last W12...owner showed me a bottle of WT Masters Keep. I didn't ask about the price. Same store wanted $600 for THH.
Credible Source
AG
I just got my tracking number for my bourbon from "master of mault" and it shipped out of Jamaica, New York. Did I just ripped off?
Buck Compton
AG
What's hard to believe? That's a real place....
plowboy1065
S
I had a bottle come from AZ once
HouseDivided06
AG
So quick update: Plano Total Wine off 75 is out of ETL, and the one at Preston and 121 has allocated the last 3 bottles to the new Total Wine that opens on the 29th and Plano Pkwy and Park. I'm going to try and grab one, but if someone in DFW gets a bottle or an extra bottle they'd sell, I'll pay cost plus $10 for effort. Have a newborn and can't go hunting as much as I'd like unfortunately and would be willing to pay a small premium for it. One of the ones I've wanted to grab but haven't found on shelves the last couple years.
Credible Source
AG
Buck Compton said:

Because it was supposed to be coming from the U.K. included a customs fee.
Buck Compton
AG
Carl Hungus said:

Buck Compton said:

Because it was supposed to be coming from the U.K. included a customs fee.
They ship things over and front the customs fee because they know it'll be sold in the US market.

Ship in bulk to save money. It also means it's quicker to get to the customer, making a happier customer. They just pass along the shipping and customs fees to you.
Credible Source
AG
I guess that makes sense. I was hoping that was the case.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
aad03 said:

Nuke Laloosh is right. You could re-brand WT 101 and sell it for $50 all day long, if you could make up a story to put on the label.

Anyone try the WT Decades?

It's really good stuff... I just don't know if it's worth the price tag that it commands. I'll probably break down and buy it at some point.
tmas
AG
I had Garrison Brothers Cowboy Whiskey last night. Good flavor with a little bit of sweetness and spice. Don't know if it is worth the price, but definitely a good drink.
jsn1986
AG
Garrison Bros is the worst whiskey I have ever tried in my life. Honestly undrinkable. I thought the bottle I had must have mold in the cork so I tried it again at a bar on the company tab, nope just bad whiskey. Could never imagine trying the Cowboy.
First Page Last Page
Page 247 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.